First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The spare is a steel wheel that doesn't match. My dealer has lots of Rubicon wheel take-offs that people have left after getting after-market wheels. I was debating replacing my spare with one (plus a new TPMS sensor for it) so I can rotate all 5 tires. I'm fairly sure that Wildpeak A/T3W (I'm upgrading to 35" but was going to stay with the same tire) are non-directional, meaning a single spare could get rotated in quite easily. Well, depending on how easy it is to REMOVE the spare from under the truck!

But that leaves some questions -- Would the wheel just get destroyed the first time I'm on a rocky trail? Does anyone think it would be worth the couple hundred extra dollars for this?
Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Worth it.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I did just that. Donā€™t want to have a miss matching tire and wheel when I get a flat. And when that happens it stays on the ground. Flat will get repaired and will then go back under the truck as the spare.

JOKER8R

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / GCM - 2016 KIA Optima
Had I stayed with OEM Rubicon wheels I would have eventually (sooner not later) found a matching wheel but I chose to go aftermarket and I did purchase a set of 5 so yes I think itā€™s worth your extra money. Iā€™m not 100% qualified to answer your other question about damage but I mounted my spare with the finish side facing up, not sure if thatā€™s correct but seemed like the best way to keep from getting scratched.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
Myself I'm going 315/70r17 upgrade tires so buying 4 nice new rims and 5 tires. Will have the full size matching spare on slightly narrower rim with the steelie spare rim.

Dealer parts guy told me the spare hangar isn't too kind to shiny aftermarket wheels. So my rotation will be 4 wheel. If I get a tire damaged or flatted eventually I'll get the spare tire rim-swapped in and keep the repaired tire for a spare swapped onto the steelie rim.

Sponsored

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
I'm keeping the steel spare and will find a used 35/r17 tire to throw on it. If I get a flat, that will get me where I need to fix the flat and be on my way.

Not saying there's anything wrong with getting a matching spare and rotating 5, I actually pondered it myself. I just chose to spend that money elsewhere.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
On page 293 (I think) of the manual it shows how to lower the spare tire. The wheel looks like all the others. The attachment mechanism seems to be a cable going through the center of the wheel. If you remove the center cap on any Jeep oem wheel, wouldnt you then be able to secure it to the spare wheel/tire location?

JRW

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
has anyone researched or found a good cheap solution for the spare? I really hate to buy a nice wheel and slap it under the truck to just get trashed. I want a 8.5-9" wide with 4.5BS, cheap. :) and light as possible.

will something like that fit???

here's the best I've come up with so far. https://smile.amazon.com/Rugged-Rid...s=Rugged+Ridge+15500.70&qid=1573839288&sr=8-2
Maybe just keep the spare wheel that comes with it? If you're not rotating in the spare, you'll only use it in emergencies so as long as your tire fits on it, things like backspacing doesn't really matter.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
has anyone researched or found a good cheap solution for the spare? I really hate to buy a nice wheel and slap it under the truck to just get trashed. I want a 8.5-9" wide with 4.5BS, cheap. :) and light as possible.

will something like that fit???

here's the best I've come up with so far. https://smile.amazon.com/Rugged-Rid...s=Rugged+Ridge+15500.70&qid=1573839288&sr=8-2
I just bought a spare set of wheels. A set of 5 with tires in like-new condition is about $400-500 as takeoffs so I can have a matching set and it is cheap enough that I dont care if the spare gets scuffed. The steal rim is probably good to have for off roading purpose though (endure damage during trails while it is stored under bed). Maybe just put on a tire cover to prevent surface damage? Area for spare tire has wiggle room for size

JRW

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator
unfortunately most lift's require a 4.5BS, rather not buy anything but want the spare to be usable.

I don't have any plans for a 5 wheel rotation either.

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair point, I wasn't thinking about lifts and I'm not sure what the backspacing and width is on the spare wheel.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
No brainer for some but apparently many don't get the value of the 5-tire rotation.

Found online (because I'm too lazy to explain why using all 5 tires is better and how it will save you money)...

Five tire rotation - full size spare tire
If your JEEP has a full-size spare tire and a wheel that's the same size as your four main tires and wheels, you may want to consider the following rotation patterns to keep all five tires evenly worn. This is especially important for four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles, because if you need to use your spare tire and it has different wear than your other three tires, it could place undue force on the drive train of your vehicle due to the difference in tread depth.

First, check your vehicle owner's manual to see if the manufacturer has recommended a tire rotation pattern; if so, follow those guidelines. If there is no rotation information available, consider the following patterns:

3-tire-rotation-with-spare-580x330.jpg

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get the value, but for me and the limited driving I do in the Jeep, the cost/benefit analysis resulted in me keeping the $400 - $500 the spare tire and wheel would've cost so I can use that money elsewhere. If I drove it more, I'd probably go with the five tire rotation.
Sponsored