Sponsored

Replaced 12v with brake controller. Run 12v to the bed?

danimal2000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I recently installed the Mopar brake controller, which replaced the 12v outlet in the dash. So there's an unused wiring harness behind there now . I'm thinking of tracing those wires, and using that same source to run wires for a 12v marine rated outlet in the bed. Is this feasible or should I just do a completely separate run to the bed outlet, leaving the one abandoned behind the dash?

My thinking is I want the bed outlet only on with the ignition, just as the old one was so I figure basically use the old one. Open to other ideas too.
Sponsored

madesicc88

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I did the same recently and was wondering what could be done with the unused 12v stuff, will be watching this to see what you end up doing.

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Not sure what the amperage rating is of the accessory (cig lighter) but if you were to run the accessory circuit another 6+feet to the back of the bed I would think the amp rating will be reduced. I would think you could run a few LED lights from this circuit. Once the brake controller takes the cig lighter out of service I have thought that this now unused circuit would be great to power a 12 volt to 5 volt 2 port USB adapter, running the charge wires up to dash mounted dash cam and phone charger. This would provide a couple 5 volt charge cables and possibly clean up the charge wire going to dash mounted devices. My 2 cents.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
I ran a separate circuit for my 12v power outlet. I have it only powered when the ignition is on.

I am considering going with another battery to have power in the bed all of the time. I would isolate it from the vehicle's batteries for obvious reasons. I would then use the circuit that I installed to only charge the cargo battery. I haven't done this yet, mainly because I have not needed 12v but a few times. A simple power pack is all you need for that.
Jeep Gladiator Replaced 12v with brake controller.  Run 12v to the bed? 20211215_172921

OP
OP

danimal2000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I'm also considering something like this, installed where the optional 110 outlet would go on the bed. There's a plastic "plug" there now.

Kohree 12V Marine USB Outlet Socket Panel-Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter & QC 3.0 Dual USB Ports with LED, Waterproof 12 Volt Charger Panel for Car Marine Vehicle Motorcycle ATV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D691JL7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_XYZ42W0H887K0WKYRE8F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would swap one if the 2 with a rocker switch so I can control power here regardless of the ignition. There are also 3 and 4 gang options if more are desired
Sponsored