Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Im at 70k miles and i think its time to replace my batteries. The last couple times I towed by curt app would say the battery was low. So I started watching it. Regularly the power would drop to 3.6- 3.8 while sitting at a light. But it would jump to 4.2 - 4.6 while driving.

After this last trip, while driving in to work this morning and not towing, I decided to take a look at the battery. While driving, with no trailer attached, The battery stayed at a constant 3.4.

The only "symptom" ive had so far is that i occasionally get a message saying my front blinker is out...when it is not...the LED works fine for a little before saying it doesnt.

Ive read in the foums that some slightly larger batteries will fit. Here are the links of what I am looking at. Can some one just provide a little piece of mind in telling me that I looking at the right ones.

main battery
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...p-battery-dh7-group-size-7-880-cca/937710_0_0

or

https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odp-agm94r-h7-l4-battery-94r-850/

small startup battery
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...atinum-agm-auxiliary-battery-aux14/755654_0_0

Ive watched a could videos on how to change them and feel confident in doing it my self. My question is will I loose my radio settings and/or PCM settings with BOTH batteries disconnected? I saw in one of the videos where a fella connected a trickle charger to the main batter connections and left that running while he replaced the secondary battery. seemed logical to me, but im certainly no expert.
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Can't attest to the JT, but I've done the trickle charger trick on several vehicles over the last 20 years and it's worked every time.

I have one of the OLD cement block sized ones that I can select what the input is and I always set it on 2 amps.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Can't attest to the JT, but I've done the trickle charger trick on several vehicles over the last 20 years and it's worked every time.

I have one of the OLD cement block sized ones that I can select what the input is and I always set it on 2 amps.
I have a giant wheeled one that I can also set the amps, ill keep 2 in mind. TY!

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Just one suggestion, so you don't blow fuses, wrap the positive side in electrical tape so it can't make contact.

Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Mine died almost exactly 2 years after manufacture.

I swapped out the main one but didn't swap out the aux. I now have an ESS warning but I leave it off all the time anyway.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Mine died almost exactly 2 years after manufacture.

I swapped out the main one but didn't swap out the aux. I now have an ESS warning but I leave it off all the time anyway.
I was going to only do the main but read that if you do one, you should do the other.

Here is another main I found on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-94RA...93-1-2--669-1&vehicleName=2020+Jeep+Gladiator

and maybe this one for the aux battery ?

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-AUX1...refix=jeep+gladiator+aux,automotive,80&sr=1-1

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Go to Costco or Sam's Club and get a 94R for the main battery. They usually have the best price and provide a three year warranty. If you can't find a AUX14 battery at one of the local auto parts stores, the AUX12 battery from Amazon is a substitute with a lower capacity (155 vs. 200cca).

The newest battery charger I have has a Power Supply mode to keep the electronics alive while changing batteries.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My truck build was started in March 2019. I'm still running on the two original batteries. I'm not sure how much longer they will last, but it doesn't look like they will get replaced under warranty in the next three weeks. The voltage regularly starts out at 14.6, especially if it has sat for a few days. If I drive long enough, it drops down around 13.9 or a little lower.

I don't have any starting or ESS issues.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
For the Aux. battery, have you looked at powersports batteries? I haven’t looked a prices recently, but they used to be less than current Aux. battery prices.

And just as an aside, the Aux. battery has enough capacity to start the Pentastar without the main battery connected. Seems like a lower capacity battery in there wouldn’t hurt a thing.

Kevin

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You should not lose any settings, but the MPG readings may reset. If you have the 8.4 Uconnect, it can take up to 24 hours for it to return to normal operation after it loses power. The Smog computer will also reset and need about 100 miles of driving before it will pass a Smog check.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
For the Aux. battery, have you looked at powersports batteries? I haven’t looked a prices recently, but they used to be less than current Aux. battery prices.

And just as an aside, the Aux. battery has enough capacity to start the Pentastar without the main battery connected. Seems like a lower capacity battery in there wouldn’t hurt a thing.

Kevin
your PfP is incredibly appropriate for a jeep forum haha

I haven't looked at battery prices in a long time, but im more concerned with making sure it lasts another 70k miles than the cost associated.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Will not replacing the aux cause problems with the main?

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Will not replacing the aux cause problems with the main?
not sure honestly. I would imagine that, unless you tested them both and identified which one was shot...you have no real way of knowing for sure the efficacy of the aux battery. Id rather be safe than sorry and just replace them both so I know they are both good to go.