Reprogram after tire size change not?

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1999 Cherokee XJ, 1977 L82 Corvette
Upgrading my Gladiator Sport by adding Rubicon take-off's springs and shocks along with 35" tires on 17" wheels with a 3.73 rear end. Yes MPG goes down (none of us on here buy any kind of Jeep for the MPG anyway), and the heavy tires will be tough on the 3.73, but I had same setup on JK with no issues over 7 years and I did not reprogram the JK.

My question is it it worth it to either a.) buy a programmer/tuner so I can reprogram the speedometer myself (and do any other tune mods), or b.) have the dealer or a shop do it since it is cheaper than the programmer, or c.) leave it alone? I hear the Transmission is adaptive so it will learn better shift points as I drive but will take awhile (or I can pull the fuse to reset it so it learns faster).

Has anyone else done any of the three options (I am sure I will get mostly c.)? Please share your experiences/opinion...
Sponsored

teleportJeep

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
I bought the Jscan - about $90 all in.
I adjusted the tire size and my speedometer is in synch. I also adjusted the TPMS since I am at 32-33 psi for normal driving.
Other settings can be changed too with it.

Wasatch1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I used Superchips programmer. I run 37 BFG ko2 however I recommend actually measuring the tire because I'm at 35 and 1/2. This not only corrects speedometer, gas mileage, but more importantly the odometer. Also has a few other options for later changes gears Etc. I like being able to run high beams with my fog lights on too.

OP
OP
ckoyola

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used Superchips programmer. I run 37 BFG ko2 however I recommend actually measuring the tire because I'm at 35 and 1/2. This not only corrects speedometer, gas mileage, but more importantly the odometer. Also has a few other options for later changes gears Etc. I like being able to run high beams with my fog lights on too.
--Thank you--forgot about the odometer/good point!

OP
OP
ckoyola

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I adjusted the tire size and my speedometer is in synch. I also adjusted the TPMS since I am at 32-33 psi for normal driving.
Thank you for the information on the Jscan. $90 is less expensive than the $110 the shop will charge so I will do my research on it/find out if it does the odometer corrections as Wasatch1 pointed out...

Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I have the tazer mini and it does a lot of things. Lots of good options for you mentioned above too.

Wasatch1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I forgot TPMS adjustments! Before the program, every time I hit the ski resorts or camp at high elevation I got that stupid warning.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I went Tazer JL Mini and it's worth every penny. Pairing with the iDrive throttle control unit really helps to alleviate a lot of that low-end power loss from the larger tires. It doesn't add any power, it just cuts all the slack out of the gas pedal, so there's no dead spots when pushing the gas to go faster. It makes the pedal more "touchy", but you get used to it.

OP
OP
ckoyola

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the tazer mini and it does a lot of things. Lots of good options for you mentioned above too.
Thank you--will take a look at it!

OP
OP
ckoyola

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went Tazer JL Mini and it's worth every penny. Pairing with the iDrive throttle control unit really helps to alleviate a lot of that low-end power loss from the larger tires. It doesn't add any power, it just cuts all the slack out of the gas pedal, so there's no dead spots when pushing the gas to go faster. It makes the pedal more "touchy", but you get used to it.
Thank you--that's two that have the Tazer mini now so will look closer at it. Bottom line looks like I should definitely make the investment for a programmer that I did not make in the JK build (learn from my mistakes!).

Sponsored

bluedevil1

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 F250 Diesel
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you--that's two that have the Tazer mini now so will look closer at it. Bottom line looks like I should definitely make the investment for a programmer that I did not make in the JK build (learn from my mistakes!).
I also got the JSCAN. Check out the thread in Programmers, it's got a lot of positives. I got it because my dealer said they no longer will do that for aftermarket gear unless they install it prior to sale.

OP
OP
ckoyola

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also got the JSCAN. Check out the thread in Programmers, it's got a lot of positives. I got it because my dealer said they no longer will do that for aftermarket gear unless they install it prior to sale.
Love the price on the JSCAN--any issues with it?

bluedevil1

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 F250 Diesel
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Love the price on the JSCAN--any issues with it?
None that I have found. Recalibrated for 285/75 17s, shift points changed fine, MPG's, etc. I would buy another without hesitation.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Just installed Tazer lite and Idrive on mine and so far so good. Still have a few settings to change and figure out what setting on the Idrive I like. I thought it would be the AC but I tend to find that setting is super sensitive. Right now liking the U4 setting

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Jscan all the way here. Your shift points and speedo will be off and that will never correct itself unless you reprogram for the tires. The transmission will learn your driving habits that is correct but it will be learning them with your shift points all out of wack. It's definitely worth it to do it. $90 is a small amount to pay to have your computer functioning properly.

JScan does what all the others do, Corrects speedo, shift points, Tpms, foglights with high beams,reprograms if you change your gears, if you add cameras, switches, DRLs, basically all the things you would pay for at the dealership, but only $90. There is a demo for it on the app you can look at before you purchase the license agreement.
Sponsored

Last edited: