Sponsored

Reprogramming Gladiator Mojave for 35’s?

dr29

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Software Manager
Just wondering if adjusting tire size with JScan made a difference when putting 35’s on a Mojave? Runs fine, drops into 8th on the highway…. The computer says 33.03 already and 35 inch tires often are 33.5-34 from what I’ve read and even measured…. The 35’s I have are really 33.5 under the weight of the truck. I have all the JScan parts but what a pain in the a to get into the bypass cables
Jeep Gladiator Reprogramming Gladiator Mojave for 35’s? 413D3D11-5FB8-4046-82B9-3D2BED5B5C42
. I have to hire a smurf I guess. Did JScan make a performance difference for the Mojave on 35’s?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I bought extension cables I leave in place. Piece of cake - connect the bypass and the OBD adapter in 2 minutes or less now, and disconnecting and plugging things back in - even easier.

I used my phone and a Garmin GPS to get the tire size spot-on. Measuring gets you close - but it's just never right enough for me. Now everything lines up spot-on speed and distance-wise.

The Mojave is no different than any other vehicle in that respect - it won't matter if it's Mojave, Rubicon, Sport or Overland. That system, that part, it's identical in how it works and the settings.
Also - like you have already alluded to - you can't go by what someone else plugged in just because it's a 35. There can be a half inch difference between so-called 35s, maybe more in some cases. What someone else used could get you close, but your exact tire brand and size, your PSI, your truck weight, all play into it.

OP
OP

dr29

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Manager
I bought extension cables I leave in place. Piece of cake - connect the bypass and the OBD adapter in 2 minutes or less now, and disconnecting and plugging things back in - even easier.

I used my phone and a Garmin GPS to get the tire size spot-on. Measuring gets you close - but it's just never right enough for me. Now everything lines up spot-on speed and distance-wise.

The Mojave is no different than any other vehicle in that respect - it won't matter if it's Mojave, Rubicon, Sport or Overland. That system, that part, it's identical in how it works and the settings.
Also - like you have already alluded to - you can't go by what someone else plugged in just because it's a 35. There can be a half inch difference between so-called 35s, maybe more in some cases. What someone else used could get you close, but your exact tire brand and size, your PSI, your truck weight, all play into it.
So, did it make a performance diff? Speedo is a rounding issue, ha. I’m calling out Mojave because of stock 33s; computer says 33 when I’m reality they were probably 32… and the new tires are only .5 bigger. Thank you for the response!

ckgjt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Max ToE
So, did it make a performance diff? Speedo is a rounding issue, ha. I’m calling out Mojave because of stock 33s; computer says 33 when I’m reality they were probably 32… and the new tires are only .5 bigger. Thank you for the response!
if the speedo is correct so will be your shift points so in theory not really a performance enhancement but changing the shift points to act what stock would be with stock size tires makes it drive much more better not sluggish like when you put bigger tires on without a programmer if that makes sense :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

dr29

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Manager
if the speedo is correct so will be your shift points so in theory not really a performance enhancement but changing the shift points to act what stock would be with stock size tires makes it drive much more better not sluggish like when you put bigger tires on without a programmer if that makes sense :)
Here’s the deal. I noticed zero diff. In fact and improvement since the jeep drove straighter with the bigger tires and wider stance. The diff in the computer is only .5. That’s why I’m wondering specifically about this jeep and 35(ishes). I did have a 2015 wrangler unlimited that I put a Lift on and 35s and had a mental breakdown driving it on the highway without an reprogramming adjustment as it had no idea of what gear to be in. This is definitely different.

ckgjt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Max ToE
Here’s the deal. I noticed zero diff. In fact and improvement since the jeep drove straighter with the bigger tires and wider stance. The diff in the computer is only .5. That’s why I’m wondering specifically about this jeep and 35(ishes). I did have a 2015 wrangler unlimited that I put a Lift on and 35s and had a mental breakdown driving it on the highway without an reprogramming adjustment as it had no idea of what gear to be in. This is definitely different.
i have 35's and .5 does make a bit of a difference in shift points (very minor but if you are anal like me you will notice the difference) I have my programer set at 34.25 but measured at 34..75 so you will have to play with it...if I set it at the measured height of 34.75 the speedo would be off at speeds over 50 and shift points feel off. once I got The speedometer spot on with the GPs the shifts are just right. You should set if to the measured height first then hit the road with speeds over 50 so your GPS can give a good reading (lower speeds the speedo and GPS tend to be more closer than at higher speeds IF the setting is off) you may have to hop in there a couple of times to get it just right...one important thing...IF YOU GO TO THE DEALER FOR ANYTHING set it back to stock. if they hop in there and do ANY update your control is no longer usable...it will be stuck on what ever setting it was at when you dropped it off and you wont be able to communicate with the PCM again..ask me how I know this :(

OP
OP

dr29

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Manager
i have 35's and .5 does make a bit of a difference in shift points (very minor but if you are anal like me you will notice the difference) I have my programer set at 34.25 but measured at 34..75 so you will have to play with it...if I set it at the measured height of 34.75 the speedo would be off at speeds over 50 and shift points feel off. once I got The speedometer spot on with the GPs the shifts are just right. You should set if to the measured height first then hit the road with speeds over 50 so your GPS can give a good reading (lower speeds the speedo and GPS tend to be more closer than at higher speeds IF the setting is off) you may have to hop in there a couple of times to get it just right...one important thing...IF YOU GO TO THE DEALER FOR ANYTHING set it back to stock. if they hop in there and do ANY update your control is no longer usable...it will be stuck on what ever setting it was at when you dropped it off and you wont be able to communicate with the PCM again..ask me how I know this :(
Thank you my friend. This is what I wanted to understand!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Huh? No, if you use jscan and set the tire size - you have zero reason to set it back. Dealers even make changes when they modify Jeeps before they sell them.
He's not talking tazer - he's talking about a settings choice on a menu.
I have set my tire size using jscan and have my system flashed.
This isn't a PCM program issue - it's simply a setting.
If you had a problem it's not due to changing tire sizes. Many of us have made such changes -
The only thing is that a person should make note of what they set it to - so if the dealer does make changes, you can put such things back.
Since that's a setting choice in a menu, PCM flash won't stick anything on anything.
If that setting is lost for any reason or you change tire sizes, you simply go in with jscan and make the setting again.
You must be using something like a tazer.
We use software and it's a menu choice, then we disconnect our phone and the OBD interface and plug the cables back in.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Huh? No, if you use jscan and set the tire size - you have zero reason to set it back. Dealers even make changes when they modify Jeeps before they sell them.
If you had a problem it's not due to changing tire sizes. Many of us have made such changes -
The only thing is that a person should make note of what they set it to - so if the dealer does make changes, you can put such things back.
Since that's a setting choice in a menu, PCM flash won't stick anything on anything.
If that setting is lost for any reason or you change tire sizes, you simply go in with jscan and make the setting again.
We use software and it's a menu choice, then we disconnect our phone and the OBD interface and plug the cables back in.
Tazer settings stick regarding tire size or gear ratios after being unmarried for dealership work.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Tazer settings stick regarding tire size or gear ratios after being unmarried for dealership work.
I only mentioned it because maybe it was still in there and caused an issue?
Either way, tire sizes are a menu selection - not programming per se.
So changing tire size will cause no issues, and if it gets wiped by some dealer work, you simply reprogram it back in.
I don't know the impact of leaving a tazer in place during a dealer visit - don't have one (don't personally need the features, I prefer the software for what I do - personal choice)
But yes, to your point, if the tazer was unmarried and removed and taken to a dealer shop, no problem. Tire size remains since the tazer basically did the same thing the jscan or AlfaOBD apps would do - select tire size like a menu choice.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
So for the Jscan, all you need is the app and the bypass cord?