Review and comparison: Towing my TJ with the JT, max towing the Overland

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
So I've been wheeling for going on 20 years or so and last year was the first year I trailered my TJ to go wheeling. Now I can't go back.
All the stress is off: if you break something, tow it home and fix it.

I didn't buy the JT to trailer the TJ, but knew it would be nice if it did.
Today I spent $60 at Uhaul just to see how it would do compared to my usual setup and help me decide what to tow it with to the few trips we have planned this summer.
The UHaul trailer is a little over 2000# and the TJ is about 3800# which puts it right at max towing for an Automatic Overland.
My usual tow rig is my wife's 2013 LR4, which has a 7500# tow capacity so we are well within that.
Jeep Gladiator Review and comparison: Towing my TJ with the JT, max towing the Overland 20200612_140428
Jeep Gladiator Review and comparison: Towing my TJ with the JT, max towing the Overland 20200612_142115

So which would I rather tow with? Pretty hands down the Gladiator, even at max weight.
The gladiator had better brakes (discounting the trailers surge brakes) and better sway control and feel. It just felt safer. It also seemed to help that the trailer seemed further back there. The trailer seems as it is way too close to the back of the LR4.
The only place the LR4 trounced it was, as expected, acceleration and NVH. But you just can't compete with a 5L V8 on torque.

I was very surprised. I thought the LR4 would certainly win. Have a 6 hour trip coming up in July; we will be taking the Gladiator and a trailer that is about 500# or more lighter from a real trailer place nearby (one with real brakes!).
Hope this helps with information in the tribe here.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Are you looking into an aluminum trailer for towing the JT? I would imagine that saved weight would be very helpful since we're kind of limited by the V6's capabilities. Also, have you looked into some air bags for the rear, to help prevent rear rear from squatting so bad? Might be helpful.

I do wish they would put a small V8, like the Ford 5.0L or something like that in the JT's... Displacement isn't everything, but those 2 extra cylinders sure make a huge difference.

OP
OP
MrJeep

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh yeah, Aluminum would be the way to go. That's major scratch though for the amount of towing I do. A basic car hauler with weight distribution hitch will be my path forward. 15 or 16 hundred pounds.
You could justify aluminum, they hold their value. All car haulers do fairly well. Kind of like newer Jeeps.

I would trade in tomorrow for a V8 Gladiator.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
To keep the price down, a lot of car trailers are made with channel iron, which is heavy and not designed to take the load on its edge anyway. Mine is 1/8" wall box tubing, 2x4, and weighs 1370 lb. even though it is 21' long.

Sduncan

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I’ve towed a small car on my 16 ft steel trailer but not my TJ yet. I may spring for an aluminum trailer as I want to take my golf cart some times.. A 20 ft Aluma would be the ticket and let me stay within the tow weight ratings.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MrJeep

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve towed a small car on my 16 ft steel trailer but not my TJ yet. I may spring for an aluminum trailer as I want to take my golf cart some times.. A 20 ft Aluma would be the ticket and let me stay within the tow weight ratings.
I'd love to buy an aluminum trailer but I don't know if it's worth it. Maybe if I was wheeling every weekend. They do seem to hold their value.

Sduncan

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I currently own a 16 ft steel deck car hauler that I’ve used for several years to haul my TJ on.. however, now that I bought a golf cart, am looking into a motor home purchase, and plan to tow with my JTR as well, I’m looking at an H &H 20 ft aluminum to buy and will sell my 16 ft steel trailer. I’ll be able to haul the TJ and the cart and weigh less than my current set up.

OP
OP
MrJeep

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an update I towed my TJ about 400 miles to the Catskills Jamboree on a rented car hauler trailer.
Went very, very smoothly, no driver fatigue.
Total weight was about 5500# with the trailer. Went up and down the mountains fine.
Don't hesitate to head near the max tow rating on the Overland in my book with the proper equipment and properly loaded trailer.
Jeep Gladiator Review and comparison: Towing my TJ with the JT, max towing the Overland 20200916_135753

Bonus pic, this guy wheeled with us in a max tow open diffs with Rubi takeoff suspension and 2 inch lift. He did awesome! Just a few more 5 point turns than the smaller stuff.
Jeep Gladiator Review and comparison: Towing my TJ with the JT, max towing the Overland 20200919_150901

jmgb91

First Name
Jean-Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom Max Tow, 2004 TJ Rubicon
Occupation
Fitness Trainer
As an update I towed my TJ about 400 miles to the Catskills Jamboree on a rented car hauler trailer.
Went very, very smoothly, no driver fatigue.
Total weight was about 5500# with the trailer. Went up and down the mountains fine.
Don't hesitate to head near the max tow rating on the Overland in my book with the proper equipment and properly loaded trailer.
Jeep Gladiator Review and comparison: Towing my TJ with the JT, max towing the Overland 20200919_150901

What size trailer did you rent? I have a 16ft 10k GVWR, which seems a tad long for my TJ. I towed it with a half ton no problem, but now the the Gladiator, it's getting really close to the max it can tow. An aluminum trailer would be half the weight and shave a solid lbs1000 off the system, but the only available ones used nearby are 18ft which is a tad long to maneuver

OP
OP
MrJeep

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was a 16ft 10k in this post. Then the next year it was a 20ft 10k that probably had me slightly over weight but was not a problem at all. This year I purchased a 16ft 7k and it's perfect. Only weights 1300#.
I don't think 16ft or 18ft is a problem for TJ or maneuverability. In fact shorter than 16 feels sketchy to me, system length and stability wise.

Sponsored

jmgb91

First Name
Jean-Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom Max Tow, 2004 TJ Rubicon
Occupation
Fitness Trainer
It was a 16ft 10k in this post. Then the next year it was a 20ft 10k that probably had me slightly over weight but was not a problem at all. This year I purchased a 16ft 7k and it's perfect. Only weights 1300#.
I don't think 16ft or 18ft is a problem for TJ or maneuverability. In fact shorter than 16 feels sketchy to me, system length and stability wise.
That's sweet! Any picture of your current setup? Aluminum trailer or no?

Here's a pic of my setup before I got the gladiator:

tempImageaHnOVE.png

OP
OP
MrJeep

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
Good info. I also recently towed very heavy with our Gladiator Willys. Towed so heavy, I had to put it in 4-low to get it to back up in my driveway. In 2-High, it would just rest on the converter while WOT in reverse, not moving —this is a normal thing for me due to the angle and length of my driveway irrespective of my tow vehicle.

Comparing it to our 2020 Ford Ranger, it tows way better and more stable at speeds less than 65mph, but gets downright dangerous at 80MPH. Under no circumstances would I recommend towing heavy at 80MPH in the Gladiator for any distance.

The Ranger has huge torque at very low RPM, so the engine never acts like it’s working hard. The Ecoboost 2.3 is noisy and rattly, but damn it’s a rocket ship. The rest of the Ranger is the greatest disappointment. Many QC problems we,ve had.

The Gladiator kept the engine spun up high in the RPMs to stay in the power. I think this is unnerving for many people. Doesn’t bother me though.

In the strongest terms possible, it must be conveyed that the ZF-8 is smoother and better mannered than the Ford 10R80. Our 10r80 has had serious problems and is a disaster. I’d choose a Gladiator with a lawnmower engine over a Ranger with a Cummins and a 10 speed. Yes, it’s that bad.
Sponsored