Sponsored

Rhino Rack Batwing vs Alu-Cab 270 Shadow Awning

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I bought a Rhino Rack Batwing last summer, but didn't have a rack or topper to use it on my JT. I recently got my Alu-Cab installed and thought i would do a comparison with the size of the Alu-Cab.

First I started a google sheet on it, anybody can view, can't edit.

Jeep Gladiator Rhino Rack Batwing vs Alu-Cab 270 Shadow Awning 1591588133552

And I made a little youtube video about my findings.

Batwing pros:
more shade
less expensive
more wall options (foxwing parts, tapered walls, straight walls, awning extension panels)

batwing cons
have to put poles up
should secure poles with stakes
slower deployment than with Alu-Cab

Alu270 pros
fast deployment
STURDY
no need for poles in most instances

Alu270 cons
EXPENSIVE
smaller coverage area
expensive wall kit - not tapered
can't buy from many online retailers like Amazon
Sponsored

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
I'm considering the same options, but I've ruled out rhino due to reports of it breaking commonly. I love the alucab but for that kind of money I prefer the RLD360.

Another option is the OVS 270. It looks stout and has great reviews. Extra arm gives more covered area around the back side of the truck. Its price point is fantastic too. The only thing I dislike is it doesn't rise up anywhere, so I imagine it will have more pooling water issues in the rain, and won't feel as tall/vaulted.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'm considering the same options, but I've ruled out rhino due to reports of it breaking commonly. I love the alucab but for that kind of money I prefer the RLD360.

Another option is the OVS 270. It looks stout and has great reviews. Extra arm gives more covered area around the back side of the truck. Its price point is fantastic too. The only thing I dislike is it doesn't rise up anywhere, so I imagine it will have more pooling water issues in the rain, and won't feel as tall/vaulted.
nice, I think i'll do the same thing with the OVS and have to check out the rld360. an endless quest for shade.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

i'll have to setup my pvc poles again, i don't think the RLD provides enough coverage around the rear of the vehicle.

Is the OVS the same one that the forum moderator had with his Tacoma Alu-Cab? I don't think he's posted in a while and can't remember his name.
This galley looks quite exposed, and if you enclosed it, you wouldn't even be able to open the tailgate on that SUV.......
Jeep Gladiator Rhino Rack Batwing vs Alu-Cab 270 Shadow Awning 1591589908673

Jeep Gladiator Rhino Rack Batwing vs Alu-Cab 270 Shadow Awning 1591589794024

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
That's a really good point... I want to maximize coverage on the backside/tailgate. I just like that the RLD is super strong and doesn't need poles. But 1499 usd is too much money for me right now. (Just picked up a Dometic CFX3 55 IM!!!)

The OVS is appealing because its regularly priced @ 899 and there are better deals out there for it. I can't remember where but I saw a dealer selling it for $100 off. And its actually available!

There is a thread on the OVS 270 in the jeep JL forums, lots of great info there.

Sponsored

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
Jeep Gladiator Rhino Rack Batwing vs Alu-Cab 270 Shadow Awning Screenshot_20200607-214015_Chrome

I like the shape of it best. I just wish they would add a couple inboard poles to vault the shape. For extra headroom and rain clearing.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a really good point... I want to maximize coverage on the backside/tailgate. I just like that the RLD is super strong and doesn't need poles. But 1499 usd is too much money for me right now. (Just picked up a Dometic CFX3 55 IM!!!)

The OVS is appealing because its regularly priced @ 899 and there are better deals out there for it. I can't remember where but I saw a dealer selling it for $100 off. And its actually available!

There is a thread on the OVS 270 in the jeep JL forums, lots of great info there.
If you find that dealer selling for $100 off, or any discount codes, please let me know.

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Good thread. Been looking at awnings myself. I take it the OVS awning isn't available until the end of this month. Being a new product there aren't many real use reviews. Surprised that the price on Amazon is half what OVS is talking on their website.

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
I bought a Rhino Rack Batwing last summer, but didn't have a rack or topper to use it on my JT. I recently got my Alu-Cab installed and thought i would do a comparison with the size of the Alu-Cab.

First I started a google sheet on it, anybody can view, can't edit.

Jeep Gladiator Rhino Rack Batwing vs Alu-Cab 270 Shadow Awning Screenshot_20200607-214015_Chrome

And I made a little youtube video about my findings.

Batwing pros:
more shade
less expensive
more wall options (foxwing parts, tapered walls, straight walls, awning extension panels)

batwing cons
have to put poles up
should secure poles with stakes
slower deployment than with Alu-Cab

Alu270 pros
fast deployment
STURDY
no need for poles in most instances

Alu270 cons
EXPENSIVE
smaller coverage area
expensive wall kit - not tapered
can't buy from many online retailers like Amazon
interesting the fabric types are all different standards - any idea which is the most stout? I'm seriously considering the OVS based on features and price...

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Another important consideration is the weight of the awning. Is the OVS really 195lbs?? That seems crazy....

Sponsored

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
Another important consideration is the weight of the awning. Is the OVS really 195lbs?? That seems crazy....
yes it does - I just sent a request into their "contact us" - I'll let you know what they say

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
It has to be a typo with an extra “one” added to 95 maybe.
The 180 deg is just shy of 54lbs.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
interesting the fabric types are all different standards - any idea which is the most stout? I'm seriously considering the OVS based on features and price...
i have no idea, I was trying to figure that out. its all Greek to me.
Sponsored