Sponsored

Rigid LED Back up lighting - use of aux switches possible?

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Audi A4
I have a set of LED Rigid back up lights that I had previously wired on my F150. There was a 3 way toggle switch that allowed me to turn them off, turn them on manually, or in the 3rd position they would come on when I put the truck in reverse.

I would like to wire these up so they come on when I put my Gladiator in Reverse but use the Aux switch as a way to put them on manually. Is this possible? If so, does anyone have any writeups or youtube video?

I know I would lose the ability to turn them off completely, but I'm ok with that. I'd just rather use the integrated switches instead of the red toggle I used in my F150.
Sponsored

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
Sure, you would just have to tap the hot wire into your backup lights, AND an aux switch. That would be the easiest way, but would probably also turn on your backup lights when you hit the aux switch. Not sure if that would bother you.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
Sure, you would just have to tap the hot wire into your backup lights, AND an aux switch. That would be the easiest way, but would probably also turn on your backup lights when you hit the aux switch. Not sure if that would bother you.
I think that was the point of the diodes in the post link that I sent, preventing the feedback loop.

sawman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z71
Why not just use a relay instead of diodes? In the relaxed (unpowered) state, they power up with the backup lights. Flip the aux switch, relay energizes and puts power to them only (manually). Diodes commonly fail open. If the relay fails in either position, you still have lights.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Doolin64

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you guys. I just removed the harness out of my F150 last night that came with my Rigid back up lights I also removed. I was hoping to reuse this harness. It's been 4 years since I wired up this kit. It's a big dang harness with a relay. Basically, it has 2 pairs of red/black wires with connectos for the lights and one white wire that ran from the relay under the dash to the back of the truck. The white wire tapped the reverse pin on my trailer hitch. From the relay a positive and neg wire ran into the engine bay where the neg wire was ground and the red wire ran to the battery.

I'm just not sure how I work this into the auxiliary bank of switches to get it all to work.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you guys. I just removed the harness out of my F150 last night that came with my Rigid back up lights I also removed. I was hoping to reuse this harness. It's been 4 years since I wired up this kit. It's a big dang harness with a relay. Basically, it has 2 pairs of red/black wires with connectos for the lights and one white wire that ran from the relay under the dash to the back of the truck. The white wire tapped the reverse pin on my trailer hitch. From the relay a positive and neg wire ran into the engine bay where the neg wire was ground and the red wire ran to the battery.

I'm just not sure how I work this into the auxiliary bank of switches to get it all to work.
Do you have a picture to go with this description? or maybe a line diagram? I know i could tell you how to get that to work, but I can't wrap my head around your description for some reason.

It's really sounding like your white wire (with relay) should come off your aux switch. and the red wire from your reverse lights, black is ground.

OP
OP
Doolin64

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the harness I have and how Rigid said to wire. Does this help?

I know this is wiring for a 3 position switch. 1-On/2-Off/3-On in Reverse.

I'd like the auxiliary switch to be used for #1 and I'd like #3 to happen when I shift into reverse. Position 2 is not really needed.

Screenshot_20200108-102700_Drive.jpg

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the harness I have and how Rigid said to wire. Does this help?

I know this is wiring for a 3 position switch. 1-On/2-Off/3-On in Reverse.

I'd like the auxiliary switch to be used for #1 and I'd like #3 to happen when I shift into reverse. Position 2 is not really needed.

Screenshot_20200108-102700_Drive.jpg
This is speculation, but I imagine that the under-hood hot wire (fused) supply power to the switch through wire 1A. The under-hood ground will provide the ground for your lights. wire 2A will provide power to the lights from the switch. Wire 3A provides power to the switch through your reverse light circuit. With that being said, the only way i see you being able to use that harness without the included switch is to tie 2A into your reverse lights, connect the under-hood ground to a ground point. None of those other wires are necessary (except, of course the plugs to your lights). You'll have to run a separate wire from your switch and tap into the red wires going to the lights. when setup that way, the reverse lights will power your aux lights through the relay, but won't come on when you turn on the aux switch. I can't guarantee that description without seeing the setup for the relay, or putting a meter on it. And I'm sure there are some more electrically inclined folks in here that can/will correct me if i'm wrong.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I have a set of LED Rigid back up lights that I had previously wired on my F150. There was a 3 way toggle switch that allowed me to turn them off, turn them on manually, or in the 3rd position they would come on when I put the truck in reverse.

I would like to wire these up so they come on when I put my Gladiator in Reverse but use the Aux switch as a way to put them on manually. Is this possible? If so, does anyone have any writeups or youtube video?

I know I would lose the ability to turn them off completely, but I'm ok with that. I'd just rather use the integrated switches instead of the red toggle I used in my F150.
Pretty much the same way your dome light works -
On all the time
On with the door open
Off all the time

Sponsored

OP
OP
Doolin64

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty much the same way your dome light works -
On all the time
On with the door open
Off all the time
Correct, that's how it worked in my truck. I would lose the off all the time position with what I'm trying to accomplish. Lights come on in reverse. Lights can be turned on manually via the aux switch.

OP
OP
Doolin64

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is speculation, but I imagine that the under-hood hot wire (fused) supply power to the switch through wire 1A. The under-hood ground will provide the ground for your lights. wire 2A will provide power to the lights from the switch. Wire 3A provides power to the switch through your reverse light circuit. With that being said, the only way i see you being able to use that harness without the included switch is to tie 2A into your reverse lights, connect the under-hood ground to a ground point. None of those other wires are necessary (except, of course the plugs to your lights). You'll have to run a separate wire from your switch and tap into the red wires going to the lights. when setup that way, the reverse lights will power your aux lights through the relay, but won't come on when you turn on the aux switch. I can't guarantee that description without seeing the setup for the relay, or putting a meter on it. And I'm sure there are some more electrically inclined folks in here that can/will correct me if i'm wrong.
I don't mind stripping down this harness, or even building my own if it's more appropriate. I mostly follow you I believe except for the part I bolded. Just the why behind (not the how).

So in that diagram, there's two grounds...the one to the switch (2B) and the one to the battery with the ring terminal(top of diagram) I could essentially eliminate the ground to the switch, or just tie into the one with the ring terminal. Either way, they get grounded under the hood to the ground point. The battery power source wire would not be used in this diagram at the top.

For 2A, you're saying I'll have to cut splice the blue wire into the red wires that feed the lights out back? Is that what youre saying in my bolded section above?

One thing to note, on my harness at home, wire 3A (white) actually rides inside the wire loom with the red/black light wires and will reach the back of the vehicle. Should be easy to grab the reverse wire from the hitch wiring.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't mind stripping down this harness, or even building my own if it's more appropriate. I mostly follow you I believe except for the part I bolded. Just the why behind (not the how).

So in that diagram, there's two grounds...the one to the switch (2B) and the one to the battery with the ring terminal(top of diagram) I could essentially eliminate the ground to the switch, or just tie into the one with the ring terminal. Either way, they get grounded under the hood to the ground point. The battery power source wire would not be used in this diagram at the top.

For 2A, you're saying I'll have to cut splice the blue wire into the red wires that feed the lights out back? Is that what youre saying in my bolded section above?

One thing to note, on my harness at home, wire 3A (white) actually rides inside the wire loom with the red/black light wires and will reach the back of the vehicle. Should be easy to grab the reverse wire from the hitch wiring.
You shouldn't have to run any wires under the hood, you can hook your ground up in the back, your relay can go in the back too. Wire 2A will connect to your reverse wire (from the hitch). In the part you bolded, i was talking about the wire from your aux switch. You will have to connect you aux switch wire to the two red wires going to your lights, after the relay.

OP
OP
Doolin64

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I follow you now. I'll keep you posted. Depends on the weather for me getting out there and wiring this up. I still need to pick up my gladiator this weekend too.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

I put a Curt splice harness in back and tied my LED lights to the reverse line in the trailer wiring. I didn't need a relay or any wiring to the front. The lights only come on when it is in reverse.
Sponsored