Roam Vagabond or Vagabond XL?

Coachsam14

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I have a Roam Vagabond XL with annex on order and plan to mount it on a Rebel Off Road Xplor full rack. Main reason for going XL is my family of five (three kids ages 8-6-2).

I want to make sure the XL is the right way to go, the overhang is something I'm not too fond of and from a few photos I have seen seems to be pretty big when closed. We are looking at an extra 16'' in length from what I gather after speaking to Roam and looking at the opened specs. Any help here is appreciated.

Here's a recent pic of my Galdiator for reference.

Jeep Gladiator Roam Vagabond or Vagabond XL? IMG_F401E08DC4F0-1
Sponsored

Blucid

First Name
Denis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teamgf.org
Vehicle(s)
2020 "Bright White" Jeep Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Here we go, I purchased the Zero23 Walkabout 62 Queen Bed, which is roughly 48" Wide and 62" long.

Zero23 Walkabout 62 - 48" inch wide x 62" long
VAGABOND XL - 48" wide x 72" long

I was in the same boat as you and I almost bought the King Size one. Walkabout 72, which is 48" wide and 72" long.

Here are the pictures of my overhang hopefully this helps you out.
I have the Max Modular Bed Rack from Voodoo Fab. Its the 10" high one with the 2.5" extension for the tonneau cover.

Jeep Gladiator Roam Vagabond or Vagabond XL? PXL_20210410_175005913
Jeep Gladiator Roam Vagabond or Vagabond XL? PXL_20210410_175010719

Jeep Gladiator Roam Vagabond or Vagabond XL? PXL_20210410_175014769

In my case the overhang would be too much for me to park in the garage. It would be an extra 10" on top of what you see here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coachsam14

Coachsam14

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Here we go, I purchased the Zero23 Walkabout 62 Queen Bed, which is roughly 48" Wide and 62" long.

Zero23 Walkabout 62 - 48" inch wide x 62" long
VAGABOND XL - 48" wide x 72" long

I was in the same boat as you and I almost bought the King Size one. Walkabout 72, which is 48" wide and 72" long.

Here are the pictures of my overhand hopefully this helps you out.
I have the Max Modular Bed Rack from Voodoo Fab. Its the 10" high one with the 2.5" extension for the tonneau cover.

In my case the overhang would be too much for me to park in the garage. It would be an extra 10" on top of what you see here.
Thanks for your response! Still weighing it out.

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have a Roam Vagabond XL with annex on order...reason for going XL is my family of five (three kids ages 8-6-2)...want to make sure the XL is the right way to go, the overhang seems to be pretty big when closed...extra 16'' in length from what I gather...Any help here is appreciated.
Like you I have 3 boys that go camping with me (wife refuses to camp unless it’s at the beach...lol), so I need a larger tent but want it to fit the Gladiator with no more than a 10” rear overhang and NOT have the bottom of the tent clear the cab roof.

The above 3 requirements really limit your tent options.

Almost went with 23 Zero Walkabout 62” tent with Annex but it’s on back order. Seemed to be the largest tent that met my requirements.

Ordered a Roam Vagabond with Annex. Not the XL model.

Since my youngest is 5, I’ll try to sleep him perpendicular (mostly across the tops of his 7 and 13 year old brothers since they are shorter than me) as a temporary solution.

But, as the kids grow (or tent fighting ensues), I’ll plan buy the Disco Bed Kido Bunk and place it behind the ladder on the floor of the annex for one or:

Jeep Gladiator Roam Vagabond or Vagabond XL? 4610B602-7441-4FC7-9B03-1948F07FBF4B

This way I can sleep up to 5 people, and still have room leftover on the floor of the annex to stand and change clothes. And it will fit over the bed of the Gladiator with no overhang. I’m building a custom round tube bed rack.

Does anyone happen to know the spacing between the underside extruded C channels that secure the Roam Vagabond tent to a roof rack?

OP
OP
Coachsam14

Coachsam14

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Like you I have 3 boys that go camping with me (wife refuses to camp unless it’s at the beach...lol), so I need a larger tent but want it to fit the Gladiator with no more than a 10” rear overhang and NOT have the bottom of the tent clear the cab roof.

The above 3 requirements really limit your tent options.

Almost went with 23 Zero Walkabout 62” tent with Annex but it’s on back order. Seemed to be the largest tent that met my requirements.

Ordered a Roam Vagabond with Annex. Not the XL model.

Since my youngest is 5, I’ll try to sleep him perpendicular (mostly across the tops of his 7 and 13 year old brothers since they are shorter than me) as a temporary solution.

But, as the kids grow (or tent fighting ensues), I’ll plan buy the Disco Bed Kido Bunk and place it behind the ladder on the floor of the annex for one or:

Jeep Gladiator Roam Vagabond or Vagabond XL? 4610B602-7441-4FC7-9B03-1948F07FBF4B

This way I can sleep up to 5 people, and still have room leftover on the floor of the annex to stand and change clothes. And it will fit over the bed of the Gladiator with no overhang. I’m building a custom round tube bed rack.

Does anyone happen to know the spacing between the underside extruded C channels that secure the Roam Vagabond tent to a roof rack?
Thanks for the response. Any idea what the size of the standard annex is?

Sponsored

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Dunno on standard annex size. Can’t find dimensions anywhere.

But the Kido Bunk on the floor of the Roam Vagabond Annex idea I saw on a YouTuber video (OffRoad Recon?).

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I've had the Smittybilt XL tent for a few years now (pre JT). Just threw it on, and since mine is lower, it doesn't bother me too much.

I tried the standard size RTT first, and the XL is definitely nicer to have.

I added a couple pictures of my buddy's Sting JT showing a full rack with an XL tent overhang, then he made some risers and scooted it over the cab a little bit.

Jeep Gladiator Roam Vagabond or Vagabond XL? index-php-action-dlattach-topic-4107-

Jeep Gladiator Roam Vagabond or Vagabond XL? index-php-action-dlattach-topic-4107-

Jeep Gladiator Roam Vagabond or Vagabond XL? E39251E8-B9E2-43AA-9793-037D0DC7E745

Jeep Gladiator Roam Vagabond or Vagabond XL? D1E69170-8974-48D5-A07F-D097EC7A0CD8
Sponsored