Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL and Gladiator
Occupation
Plastic Surgeon
5DCBBDF8-E967-46D2-A2E9-6285C35DC786.jpeg
I had my RSE step sliders installed by my dealership and one of the steps doesn’t fully retract as shown. I asked the dealership mechanic and he said he has seen this on at least one side for all the other 4 installs he’s done and he doesn’t know how to adjust. Does anyone know if you can adjust the step or is this a warranty issue? I emailed support at RSE thurs and haven’t heard back from them. Also no one answers their phone either.
Sponsored

howerch

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra
Occupation
Site manager For Siemens Gas Turbines
Vehicle Showcase
I hope you get it sorted. I am scheduled for mine to be installed on Oct 7

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Ditto, did this ever get sorted @pcwilson? I've been considering these for my wife's JKR and for my JT when I get one. That would drive me bonkers if they didn't fully retract as shown. :(

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
I installed mine two weeks ago and have had no such issues.

OP
OP

pcwilson

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL and Gladiator
Occupation
Plastic Surgeon
They are supposed to be sending me a replacement

Sponsored

infidex

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Just finished putting mine on tonight, my driver side is like this. Did they send you the entire assembly to replace? What a pain...... was hoping there was something to adjust inside...

OP
OP

pcwilson

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL and Gladiator
Occupation
Plastic Surgeon
Just finished putting mine on tonight, my driver side is like this. Did they send you the entire assembly to replace? What a pain...... was hoping there was something to adjust inside...
They sent me a whole entire assembly to replace. It was a pain and I felt like I was about to break the sheet metal getting it off. Good luck!

infidex

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
FYI, they told me how to adjust it so mine is all fixed now. There is a nut on each end of the rod that have to be loosened and you spin the rod 1/4 turn at a time and it pulls it up tight. Hard to get a wrench in there, but was able to adjust mine in about 10 mins. All good now. If anyone has this issue and needs more details on how to fix, message me and I can take some pics and provide more clear details. It wasn't obvious to me at first how to adjust but figured it out.

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
FYI, they told me how to adjust it so mine is all fixed now. There is a nut on each end of the rod that have to be loosened and you spin the rod 1/4 turn at a time and it pulls it up tight. Hard to get a wrench in there, but was able to adjust mine in about 10 mins. All good now. If anyone has this issue and needs more details on how to fix, message me and I can take some pics and provide more clear details. It wasn't obvious to me at first how to adjust but figured it out.
Hi, I'm bringing back this thread. It looks like my passenger step is not retracting all the way. I've lubed the crap out of them. Does any have any pics of the adjustment process. I'm assuming this is done with the steps closed? I don't want to take them off to do this lol. I think a lot of us have these steps and will need to do this at some point.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
On the gen 2, the aluminum rod wrench size is 7mm, and the nut size is 3/8". You want to turn that rod slightly until you get it parallel. Just extract the steps and look from underneath, you will see the long aluminum rod. Also, if your step is hitting the platform on the way in, which keeps the step from fully retracting, you can loosen the 1/2" mount screws inside the platform (can be seen from underneath when the steps are down), and pull the whole assembly a little down or up - depending on where your clearance issue is. In addition, as you bang up your Platform sliders and they bend, especially if you do not have the armor, you can grind the step itself a little on the edges to make sure they go in and out smoothly without banging the platform. Bottom-line, retract the steps and make sure there is clearance all around on the platform. Any clearance issues, will cause banging and stop the retraction. In the end, replacing a step is not expensive, so, any grinding I do on the step itself, not the platform.

PS. do not forget to touch up your steps with satin black paint. I have been touching them up after every trip and they are still looking great !

Sponsored

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
On the gen 2, the aluminum rod wrench size is 7mm, and the nut size is 3/8". You want to turn that rod slightly until you get it parallel. Also, if your step is hitting the platform on the way in, which keeps the step from fully retracting, you can loosen the 1/2" mount screws inside the platform (can be seen from underneath when the steps are down), and pull the whole assembly a little down or up - depending on where your clearance issue is. In addition, as you bang up your Platform sliders and they bend, especially if you do not have the armor, you can grind the step itself a little on the edges to make sure they go in and out smoothly without banging the platform. Bottom-line, retract the steps and make sure there is clearance all around on the platform. Any clearance issues, will cause banging and stop the retraction.

In the end, replacing a step is not expensive.
I'm a total noob at this. Can you (or someone) post a pic of what I should be looking at. I have Gen 2 steps. TIA.