Rockslide Engineering Gen 2 Gas Spring Replacement Kit

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
One of the first accessories that I added to my '21 Mojave was a set of the Rockslide Engineering Gen 2 retractable steps.
A major part of my decision to go with the Rockslide steps was that they make replacement parts not only for their current production, but continue to provide parts for all of their earlier generation products readily available on their web site.

The only potential Achilles' heel I could see to the Gen 2 Rockslide design prior to purchase was the utilization of a gas spring to aid in fully retracting the step.
I knew that this would be a part that would require replacement on a regular basis due to pressure loss over time, but this fact was easy to live with knowing that the part would be quickly available when needed.

Fast forward to the extreme cold snap over Christmas, and in the single digit temps it was no surprise that my steps were not fully retracting.
When I went to the web site to order replacement gas springs, was very happy to see that Rockslide has made a mechanical spring system similar to what they now use in their current Gen 3 steps available for the earlier Gen 2's.

I can tell you from my past experience of over 20+ years in the truck cap & accessory business, that it is totally unheard of for any aftermarket accessory company to go to the trouble of retrofitting an upgraded improvement in a current production product to fit any of their previous gen products.
This my friends is the sign of a company that is not only proud of their products, but cares about their customer base!

Installed the upgraded spring kit today, and very happy with the result.
The best part was that the installation can be done without removing the step sliders from the truck.
Rockslide has a very good YouTube video that walks you through the installation.
Jeep Gladiator Rockslide Engineering Gen 2 Gas Spring Replacement Kit DSCN4702.JPG

The worst part of the job was getting the E clip off of the end fitting of the original gas spring as space is very tight & it's hard to get in there. It helps to have a lot of patience, and also use a small mirror to see what you are doing as the E clip is on the backside of the end fitting.

Hope this is a help to others that may have Gen 2 steps that aren't fully retracting, and let them know there is a better upgraded fix for it than having to continually replace the existing gas spring.

Dave
Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Its on my list now that the driver dude it not retracting all the way........ I sure wish that Rockslide was better about shipping parts out in a timely manner.​

OP
OP
Killroy Was Here

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Its on my list now that the driver dude it not retracting all the way........ I sure wish that Rockslide was better about shipping parts out in a timely manner.​
I ordered this kit on Dec. 27th, and it was showing as available to order, but on back order.
Received it on Jan. 11th.
Thought that was pretty good for having been on back order.

Dave

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I called about my parts and they told me they were in stock. Emailed 2 months later inquiring about my order and they finally shipped them.

My buddy had similar experience, so maybe we're just lucky?
Sponsored