Roll up tonneau cover....Does it lock?

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons
Can anybody confirm that the last 6 inches of the tonneau cover actually locks down and is not just held down with friction between the rubber seal and tailgate? Is there no way to secure it? I havent heard definitively from anybody that actually has one.
Sponsored

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist

Pergrem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Yamaha/BRP Tech
Played around with one at a dealer. Can confirm it does lock if you do it right. Have to press firmly on the part above the latches

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, BMW i3, Red JTR.
It’s still just friction. Making sure it’s latched makes it harder, but if you pull up on the rear corner hard enough it’ll still pop open even with the latch section engaged

Sponsored

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
It’s still just friction. Making sure it’s latched makes it harder, but if you pull up on the rear corner hard enough it’ll still pop open even with the latch section engaged
Mine is MOPAR and as long as the tailgate is locked, the cover is locked. One can break in, but it would bend or break the cover on mine, then need to replace it. I can’t imagine mine is the only one like that.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
The Mopar soft roll-up cover does not lock. The last section past the latches is friction only, you can pull up on a corner then open the cover as another person said earlier.

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
Mine is MOPAR and as long as the tailgate is locked, the cover is locked. One can break in, but it would bend or break the cover on mine, then need to replace it. I can’t imagine mine is the only one like that.
Mine is Mopar as well. It does not lock. The two latches secure it. The last few inches flip down and are held by friction.

With the tailgate closed you can lift this latter section up and then pull the red tabs to release the cover.

It's fabric though. It wouldn't take much to cut through it. So I find this irrelevant. Even if it locked, I wouldn't trust leaving anything in there of value for extended periods or overnight.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
Mine is Mopar as well. It does not lock. The two latches secure it. The last few inches flip down and are held by friction.

With the tailgate closed you can lift this latter section up and then pull the red tabs to release the cover.

It's fabric though. It wouldn't take much to cut through it. So I find this irrelevant. Even if it locked, I wouldn't trust leaving anything in there of value for extended periods or overnight.
We have different covers, mine has absolutely no fabric. It is the Tri-Fold hard one.

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
We have different covers, mine has absolutely no fabric. It is the Tri-Fold hard one.
Got it. Makes sense. Sounds like OP was asking about the fabric roll-up cover. Appreciate the clarity.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Year and a half, and back to life.

The last few inches that flip up - I've seen it referred to as the weekend warrior section. You can flip that up to haul a dozen 2x4s that stick up out of the bed over the tail gate. I've used is that way several times. My other covers it was either all the way back and fastened, or all the way rolled up. I love the flip up end.
NO LOCK. I can easily use my thumbs and work that last section up even against the friction. That friction won't stop a healthy male or female from opening it with just their hands.
But that's ok- better that than getting it cut to ribbons by someone wanting to see what I don't have in there.
Sponsored