Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking for recommendations for a Roof Rack for my RSI SmartCap. Anything to watch for from those who have installed one? I know there were some posts about them in the RSI SmartCap thread, but I don't really want to go back through 43 pages to find them.
Sponsored

nortski3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon & BMW F800GS
I’ve been contemplating various rack so far but haven’t landed on one. Likely looking front runner and check compatibility with mounting brackets as I understand their racks have various mounting hardware to accommodate just about anything. This where I’ve been leaning.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Bill, what are you planning on putting on the roof rack. I carry kayaks , lumber, and long surf fishing rods on my yakima control tower bars, they have adaptors to mount directly to the rails. They are lockable and very easily removable with caps to cover adaptors when not needed. I also put two boat loaders on the passenger side which allow me to extend them out about 18" if I need to carry more then two yaks.
if you are thinking for a roof top tent, there seems to be more and more guys putting two or three cross bars ( aluminum extruded pieces also)on the rails and mounting the RTT to them for a lower profile. Seems to be standard to put a big rack up on top then put the tent on, seems to just be spending money and adding weight up high......Jack

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr._Bill

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure, exactly. It will be occassional cargo, and a ladder once in a while. I may look at a RTT in the future, but have to get up enough during the night that it may not be safe or practical. I'm also going to use it for attachment points with a hoist to install and remove the cap.

OP
OP
Mr._Bill

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got a quote from Front Runner. The rack is available, but the RSI mounting brackets will be about a month to arrive. I am waiting to hear back from RSI on the size of the rack, and when it would arrive. The RSI rack is $110 less, but I would like to know the size difference. With the sales tax and mounting kits added, the Front Runner comes out $250 more than RSI.

Sponsored

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Jeep Gladiator
I got a quote from Front Runner. The rack is available, but the RSI mounting brackets will be about a month to arrive. I am waiting to hear back from RSI on the size of the rack, and when it would arrive. The RSI rack is $110 less, but I would like to know the size difference. With the sales tax and mounting kits added, the Front Runner comes out $250 more than RSI.
This might change your mind. I am still waiting on my RSI rack and bin that I ordered in Sept. I did receive the table though in like two weeks. Which sat in my garage until my cap arrived in Jan. So there's that.

OP
OP
Mr._Bill

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This might change your mind. I am still waiting on my RSI rack and bin that I ordered in Sept. I did receive the table though in like two weeks. Which sat in my garage until my cap arrived in Jan. So there's that.
I'm still waiting for the table I ordered last October. I asked Offroad Alliance chat and they said end of this month for the table, and for a rack. I would have just ordered the Front Runner rack, even though it is more, but they said it would be a month before the mounting brackets would arrive.

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm still waiting for the table I ordered last October. I asked Offroad Alliance chat and they said end of this month for the table, and for a rack. I would have just ordered the Front Runner rack, even though it is more, but they said it would be a month before the mounting brackets would arrive.
I’ve been told middle to end of Feb for the rack/bin too. Sucks though, I’ve missed 2 good months of winter camping by that point. I shouldn’t have sold my bed rack so quickly.

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
does anyone know what the nut size is on the top of the cap? Id like to use them to help lift the top off and on the truck.

OP
OP
Mr._Bill

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
does anyone know what the nut size is on the top of the cap? Id like to use them to help lift the top off and on the truck.
I don't know the size, I think it is mentioned in the long RSI thread. I believe the track nuts are just a little smaller than used by most others.

I got the RSI Roof Rack and attached it to the cap. I wrapped a strap around the rack and used that to lift it onto the truck.

Sponsored

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
I don't know the size, I think it is mentioned in the long RSI thread. I believe the track nuts are just a little smaller than used by most others.

I got the RSI Roof Rack and attached it to the cap. I wrapped a strap around the rack and used that to lift it onto the truck.
How do like their roof rack? I wonder if it will still fit in the garage with it on

OP
OP
Mr._Bill

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How do like their roof rack? I wonder if it will still fit in the garage with it on
I like the RSI roof rack. It's not the same, but similar to the Front Runner racks. I still need to turn it over. I somehow managed to mount it upside down. The way it is currently mounted does give it a very low profile.

sdhkenyon

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport
Occupation
Technology Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody go with a 2 piece rack - one for over the smartcap and different rack over the cab? I'm thinking of doing something similar with the cab cover still allowing removal of the freedom panels, but still 96"+ between the two racks. Anybody do something similar?

OP
OP
Mr._Bill

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have considered it, but I'm not yet doing anything that requires that much rack space.

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the RSI roof rack. It's not the same, but similar to the Front Runner racks. I still need to turn it over. I somehow managed to mount it upside down. The way it is currently mounted does give it a very low profile.
I have some questions about your upside-down rack. Aside from a lower profile, was there anything that prevents it from functioning?
Sponsored