Roof removal breaks seal?

Freak87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I was informed once that it would not be smart to remove the roof on a Gladiator/ Wrangler because once the seal is broken it will never go back on the same. Does anybody have experience with this or was this bad info?
Sponsored

Gladiator832

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2013 Ram Sport
Occupation
Plant Manager
Seeing how mine is leaking now after 1 removal and only 3000 miles, I'd gamble to say this is correct.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
No leak but mine squeaks now, 1 time off and 2000 miles

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I was informed once that it would not be smart to remove the roof on a Gladiator/ Wrangler because once the seal is broken it will never go back on the same. Does anybody have experience with this or was this bad info?
Why would anyone buy a convertible and then not take the top off is beyond me. With that being said I haven't completely taken my top off my JT yet (2 months of ownership) as I haven't made room in the garage yet to store it while it's off. There are times I miss having a soft top Jeep, it's a lot easier, but a lot noisier too. However, with that being said the top is engineered and designed to be removed. The seal is not a one time use product, but like everything else does take routine maintenance and care. Make sure you clean the gasket periodically and the mating surfaces, even some dirt or sand will affect the seal. Take your time putting the top on and make sure everything is aligned is also important. There is simply nothing special about the seal from the factory other than all surfaces were clean and new when it was put together.

Sponsored

Nuttall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR ,2023 Grand Cherokee ,2011 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Construction
I've taken my roof off 30+ times and have yet to have any leaks. I use a 1/4 battery impact to take the bolts in and out as well. I just make sure not to overly tighten but im doing nothing special. Run it though the car wash without issue too.

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I just take the front panels off from time to time. Plus I have no place to store the top.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Why would anyone buy a convertible and then not take the top off ...
Because a Jeep truck isn't available without a convertible top, it's not exactly easy to remove and there are many reasons to buy the Gladiator beyond it being a convertible. If a permanent hardtop version were available, I would have bought that, particularly if it saved some $$.

I have had the top off and will likely do it again at some point (for the novelty,) but if it never came off again I don't think I'd greatly miss the feature at all. Hell, we have two cars with power moonroofs that we very rarely (might as well be never) open.

Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I've taken my roofs off at least 20 times and no leaks at all. In fact the sound noise that I hear people complain about incessantly just isn't there on mine, yes when it's windy I can hear that pretty good but otherwise it's not bad at all.

NH-JT

First Name
Krister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I've taken my roof off 30+ times and have yet to have any leaks. I use a 1/4 battery impact to take the bolts in and out as well. I just make sure not to overly tighten but im doing nothing special. Run it though the car wash without issue too.
+1

JeffInFLA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Gladiator Willys
Vehicle Showcase
No issues at all here…. I ALMOST had an issue when I improperly put a freedom panel back, the rubber seal folded over because I slid it into place vs placing down into place.
if you’re careful and watch what you’re doing, no issues in my experience. BTW... I’ve gone topless nearly a dozen times now.

Gladiator832

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2013 Ram Sport
Occupation
Plant Manager
Is that leak something that the warranty would cover to repair?
It should, there is no reason why it wouldn't. But after looking into it further, I noticed a grommet fitment not correct. This was an aftermarket part and when I pulled it off noticed it was not installed correctly. Fixed it and reinstalled and no problems now.
Sponsored

Last edited: