Roof top tent questions

captain kilroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT sport s
Occupation
contract welder
I am looking at the smittybilt overlander. It is just the wife and I and don't want to spend any more than necessary. I am torn between the standard and the gen 2. I don't see that much difference between the two. At least any difference that would really matter. Does anyone have and pros and cons to the two? Thanks
Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I was originally going to go with the Smittybilt gen2, but ended up with a ROAM vagabond to meet a trip deadline

specific to your question, the gen 2addressed quite a few points of high failure, either by reinforcing thestitching or reconfiguring all together. The materials themselves were also upgraded. The ladder is better, fabrics are different, etc. I would definitely spend thedifference and go gen 2.

all that being said, I advise going through a place like 4WD, that has good customer service. My research indicated that a lot of people end up going through 2 or 3 right out of the box, before getting one with all the seems correctly stitched, no tears, etc.

I think you will get 1-2 good seasons out of the smitttbilt, which is probably all you really need out of an entry level, before you decide if you like it.

With the more expensive manufacturers, it is mostly due to heavier duty materials and maybe a little more thought out finishing touches, like the way zippers are accessed, or stringers to help fold the tent in, nothing functionally game-changing.
Sponsored