Sponsored

Roof Top Tent. Should I or Shouldn't I...

TopOff

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Hey everyone. I picked up my Gladiator last week. Absolutely love it.

I have a wife and three kids- 14, 7, and almost 6 (Girl and two younger boys) -- all like camping.

I'm super intrigued with buying an RTT. I'm doing a lot of research. I could buy a smaller (soft case or hard case) but obviously wouldn't fit the whole family (couple of good deals on-line). I could buy a much larger RTT to fit everyone but it will either be 4k or impossible to find.

Also, at the end of the day- here in the Northeast (I'm in Mass) there aren't a lot of hidden spots where you can pull up alongside a cliff over looking a river and unleash the tent (like in the RTT ads). Here it's basically just camp grounds.

SO..... do I take the plunge? Do I go big and try to squeeze the family of 5 inside? Do I go small and have nice 1-on-1 trips with my kids? OR do I just camp on the ground on a big tent that fits everyone who wants to come?

Sorry... it's a long way of asking: Is an RTT a good purchase for my family dynamic? Thanks
Sponsored

SavageCoffeeTea

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for the JT diesel
I have been doing a lot of the same research, in the North East too (NJ) and family of 4. Not a lot of options for family size RTT, IKamper, CVT, AutoHome, and 1 more (I can’t think of the name).

OP
OP
TopOff

TopOff

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I have been doing a lot of the same research, in the North East too (NJ) and family of 4. Not a lot of options for family size RTT, IKamper, CVT, AutoHome, and 1 more (I can’t think of the name).[/QUO

Yes. It's difficult. Feel like some of the larger soft tents look like a slop fest to try to get back together. IKamper looks great but $$$

SavageCoffeeTea

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for the JT diesel
@TopOff the CVT I think is the most affordable but I agree the soft shell look sloppy vs a hard shell.

I wish James Baroud made a larger one then 3 people.

Sponsored

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator, 2002 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Gobi Edition
OP
OP
TopOff

TopOff

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubi, '20 JT Rubi LE, '17 GLS63
I went through the same conundrum and ultimately decided on a soft tent due to price. We went with the ROAM with an annex(with nowhere to go). We are a family of 6 but my oldest will be in college next year so she'll be left out. :)

I'm also in Mass(Pembroke), my plan is to do some beach camping near the cape and head out to the mountains. Planning a trip to Rausch Creek in June but may have to delay it a bit. Nice Gladiator, good to see more on the roads. Maybe ;-)

I debated on the Roofnest condor(w/annex) but can't justify the cost. The one that @Torro-Offroad offers seem perfect, but I had already purchased my tent.

IMG_2266.jpeg

IMG_2249.jpeg

IMG_2243.jpeg

IMG_2240.jpeg

IMG_2246.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TopOff

TopOff

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I went through the same conundrum and ultimately decided on a soft tent due to price. We went with the ROAM with an annex(with nowhere to go). We are a family of 6 but my oldest will be in college next year so she'll be left out. :)

I'm also in Mass (Pembroke), my plan is to do some beach camping near the cape and head out to the mountains. Planning a trip to Rausch Creek in June but may have to delay it a bit. Nice Gladiator, good to see more on the roads. Maybe ;-)

I debated on the Roofnest condor(w/annex) but can't justify the cost. The one that @Torro-Offroad offers seem perfect, but I had already purchased my tent.

IMG_2266.jpeg

IMG_2249.jpeg

IMG_2243.jpeg

IMG_2240.jpeg

IMG_2246.jpeg
That's an awesome set up. I agree about the price. 3-4k (for IKamper or RoofNest) is a big pill to swallow without knowing if my family will love it.

I have questions-- you being from here is also very helpful.

Have you had two adults and some kids in the tent? Comfortably?

My other worry is - are there enough places to use it around New England. We usually camp at Nickerson (which we love) but I would really love to be able to drive into some more secluded spots.

Anyway thanks for the help. I'm off to check out the ROAM.

Sponsored

grangr

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I have had two different roof top tents. A Tepui Autana and a CVT Mt. Denali. Both were quality tents and slept four quite well. They are great if you aren’t on the move everyday and if it doesn’t rain. It seemed to rain almost every time we went out and I had to close them up wet. Stayed dry inside on both. The main drawback to a rooftop tent is once you set it up you are stuck. If you need to make a quick run somewhere you have to pack it all up. They are great if it is mounted on a trailer. I know have a small RV that I take and set up as a base camp and use a ground tent for short quick trips. You can get a really nice ground tent that is fairly easy to set up for a lot less money. The cool factor of the rooftop tent is for real! There is nothing like waking up on top of your rig and looking out your window in a beautiful place.

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you had two adults and some kids in the tent? Comfortably?

My other worry is - are there enough places to use it around New England. We usually camp at Nickerson (which we love) but I would really love to be able to drive into some more secluded spots.
Honestly I just got it hoping to have explored but can't with COVID. While in the driveway, it's very roomy. Wife and I plan to stay in the annex while the kids(16,13,8) get the penthouse. Plenty of room. RTTs are definitely a novelty for us but I am convinced we will enjoy it. I'd enjoy getting to a remote location to camp as well. Nickerson looks like an awesome spot. If there are trails nearby that'd be perfect. Good luck in your search. You can't go wrong with any of the RTT options out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TopOff

TopOff

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Honestly I just got it hoping to have explored but can't with COVID. While in the driveway, it's very roomy. Wife and I plan to stay in the annex while the kids(16,13,8) get the penthouse. Plenty of room. RTTs are definitely a novelty for us but I am convinced we will enjoy it. I'd enjoy getting to a remote location to camp as well. Nickerson looks like an awesome spot. If there are trails nearby that'd be perfect. Good luck in your search. You can't go wrong with any of the RTT options out there.

One last question. I see the tonneau cover is down (rare and awesome fro a bed rack).... is that the Voodoo rack with the Tonneau brackets? If so- Does using a bracket like that affect how much weight you can have on top?

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One last question. I see the tonneau cover is down (rare and awesome fro a bed rack).... is that the Voodoo rack with the Tonneau brackets? If so- Does using a bracket like that affect how much weight you can have on top?
No worries. The mopar cover is down and the 10" rack is from VooDoo. The brackets does not limit the weight, same as without. 600lbs I believe. The cover can slide backwards but it takes some maneuvering to latch/unlatch from the brackets.

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
I know it's not what you asked about, but have you considered a small rugged teardrop camper with a RTT on top?

Some manufactures that I like are:

Bean Trailers (Utah)
Escapod (Utah)
Colorado Teardrops (has cool bunk bed option for kids)
Hiker Trailers
InTech RV
Escapade
Taxa Outdoors
Sponsored