RSI Smartcap

Bwitherel

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I’m still waiting on my Evo Sport. I initially thought the higher shim height was for better clearance at the top corners of the tailgate where the rubber gasket extends an inch or two beyond the truck bed, but now based on the pic above, I’m wondering if the shim issue also impacts the rubber seal running along the bottom of the glass rear door? If so, this is a bigger problem.
Sponsored

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
I’m still waiting on my Evo Sport. I initially thought the higher shim height was for better clearance at the top corners of the tailgate where the rubber gasket extends an inch or two beyond the truck bed, but now based on the pic above, I’m wondering if the shim issue also impacts the rubber seal running along the bottom of the glass rear door? If so, this is a bigger problem.
It most definitely affects the seal along the bottom of the rear glass door.

RSI botched the original design, then "solved" the problem by telling you to go find your own material to 'lift' the rear of the cap.

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
It definitely is a bigger problem. One that owners appear to be left to their own devices to solve.

Loosening the clamps and adding thick rubber spacers creates concerns about load carrying capacity.

Even though this is relatively minor in the scheme of things, had I known about this issue I would not have gone this direction with this cap. Certainly not for the amount of money I spent.

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
RSI botched the original design, then "solved" the problem by telling you to go find your own material to 'lift' the rear of the cap.
That was a bit concerning when I was told that via email. I'd much prefer a full length strip of proper thickness to ensure a uniform spacing and no dimpling. This will also ensure when weight is put on the top that it wouldn't run into any issues.

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Is there a way to unlatch the latches from the inside? I don’t often, but sometimes I sleep in the bed when camping rather than brining a tent but couldn’t seem to figure out how to in latch them inside the bed.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a way to unlatch the latches from the inside? I don’t often, but sometimes I sleep in the bed when camping rather than brining a tent but couldn’t seem to figure out how to in latch them inside the bed.
If your arm is long enough, reach through the window on the side doors.

Bwitherel

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks all for the feedback on this shim issue. I have no idea with the delivery of my cap in a few weeks (I hope) if the issue will be corrected. I found 2”x2” rubber shims on Amazon (DiversiTech MP2-E E.V.A. Anti-Vibration Pad, 2" x 2" x 7/8" , Pack of 4). They are 7/8” thick and may compress just a small bit (reviews say they are strong and don’t compress much under load). I read a thread that RSI recommends a 9/16” shim but I believe others noted that is not enough. I’m thinking of getting 12 of these and placing along each side (with 6 directly under the 6 clamps). I figure 6 per side will help distribute the weight and perhaps not crush the plastic bed molding as much. Any feedback on this plan from those who‘ve been burned by this issue?

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
I have put a RTT on mine and did some off-roading in Utah with it up there and didn't notice any issues at all with stability. Everything stayed rock solid and there was zero movement. I have noticed the plastic bed caps warping a little, but so far it has not resulted in any actual affects on the seal or stability of the cap or the actual structure of the truck bed. I have not really been very concerned about the warping personally and I see it almost as more of an issue with the Jeep than the Smartcap...that being said, RSI should have come up with a way to mount that did not have this affect since I have not heard of other products causing this to happen.

The back door seal issue has bothered me a lot more. Not only was the issue somehow missed before shipping, but the solution was to tell customers to solve it themselves...and then the solution given to us to use ALSO did not work properly - so people who pay thousands of dollars for their product are now basically on their own to figure out the best solution to use to fix the issue.

I would honestly like to see either partial refunds, or ideally, new Smartcaps sent out to everyone who wants one with properly constructed parts to allow the rear door to function correctly without any need for experimenting with shims and spacers. This would be the best option that would, in my mind, redeem their customer service reputation. While the topper is head and shoulders above the rest as far as appearance, the customer service has not been the best compared to other companies...RLD for instance sent new caps out to everyone who ordered the original design that did not fit the lines of the vehicle very well. This issue with the Smarcap is even more serious because it affects the actual function of the cap, and I would like to see RSI take some meaningful steps to address their mistake.

Mine has also had issues with the glue around the window latches leaking any time it is warm outside or the Smarcap is in the sun. I have to take some goo-gone and clean it up every so often, which is pretty annoying. In addition to being annoying, I do wonder about the latches long term if this glue continues to loosen up and leak out from around the latches. I have not yet seen RSI address this issue and I think that this problem combined with the poorly fitting rear doors, warrant a redesign and new Smartcaps sent out to those of us who want them, FREE of charge.

They might as well address the clamp issue too while they're at it. At this point it almost feels like we purchased a test prototype...there is a lot of amazing things about these caps, but I would love to see a more finished product without these issues that should have been extremely obvious if RSI had actually done any trail testing of these caps.

Bwitherel

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I have put a RTT on mine and did some off-roading in Utah with it up there and didn't notice any issues at all with stability. Everything stayed rock solid and there was zero movement. I have noticed the plastic bed caps warping a little, but so far it has not resulted in any actual affects on the seal or stability of the cap or the actual structure of the truck bed. I have not really been very concerned about the warping personally and I see it almost as more of an issue with the Jeep than the Smartcap...that being said, RSI should have come up with a way to mount that did not have this affect since I have not heard of other products causing this to happen.

The back door seal issue has bothered me a lot more. Not only was the issue somehow missed before shipping, but the solution was to tell customers to solve it themselves...and then the solution given to us to use ALSO did not work properly - so people who pay thousands of dollars for their product are now basically on their own to figure out the best solution to use to fix the issue.

I would honestly like to see either partial refunds, or ideally, new Smartcaps sent out to everyone who wants one with properly constructed parts to allow the rear door to function correctly without any need for experimenting with shims and spacers. This would be the best option that would, in my mind, redeem their customer service reputation. While the topper is head and shoulders above the rest as far as appearance, the customer service has not been the best compared to other companies...RLD for instance sent new caps out to everyone who ordered the original design that did not fit the lines of the vehicle very well. This issue with the Smarcap is even more serious because it affects the actual function of the cap, and I would like to see RSI take some meaningful steps to address their mistake.

Mine has also had issues with the glue around the window latches leaking any time it is warm outside or the Smarcap is in the sun. I have to take some goo-gone and clean it up every so often, which is pretty annoying. In addition to being annoying, I do wonder about the latches long term if this glue continues to loosen up and leak out from around the latches. I have not yet seen RSI address this issue and I think that this problem combined with the poorly fitting rear doors, warrant a redesign and new Smartcaps sent out to those of us who want them, FREE of charge.

They might as well address the clamp issue too while they're at it. At this point it almost feels like we purchased a test prototype...there is a lot of amazing things about these caps, but I would love to see a more finished product without these issues that should have been extremely obvious if RSI had actually done any trail testing of these caps.
Great insight. Appreciate it. RSI should respond.

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Exactly my thoughts. At this point, if someone made me a reasonable offer on the cap I'd be happy to let someone else deal with it.

@RSI North America Inc - any responses to your customers?

Sponsored

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
If your arm is long enough, reach through the window on the side doors.
I have the cap with no windows. Ha! So that wouldn't be an option for me. Is there really no other way to release this from the inside?

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the cap with no windows. Ha! So that wouldn't be an option for me. Is there really no other way to release this from the inside?
Correct. No internal release handles.

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
I would feel a lot better if @RSI North America Inc would respond and provide an update.... My Mojave is in paint status, so I am going to need order a cap soon...

OffroadAlliance.com

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Premiere Offroad Shop!
As far as the latches go, they are not currently able to be opened from the interior. RSI is working on new latches that should be availalbe late this year. The new latches will help prevent moisture intrusion to stop the freezing issues and allow you to open them from the interior.
Sponsored