Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I have a Rubicon and I noticed my rear end squatted more than I would like when I was in the bed installing my tonneau cover. Aside from me needing to lose more weight, this got me thinking about spring rates and possibly not leveling my Rubicon.

For my test, I placed exactly 250lbs. on the lowered tailgate and I measured exactly 1" of squat in the rear end (rear fenders dropped 1" measuring from top of rear tire to bottom of center rear fender). I conducted this test 3 times and every time my rear end dropped 1".

For those of you with a Sport Max Tow package could you guys/gals do the same test? I'm curious how much stiffer the Max Tow rear springs are.
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase

I have a Rubicon and I noticed my rear end squatted more than I would like when I was in the bed installing my tonneau cover. Aside from me needing to lose more weight, this got me thinking about spring rates and possibly not leveling my Rubicon.

For my test, I placed exactly 250lbs. on the lowered tailgate and I measured exactly 1" of squat in the rear end (rear fenders dropped 1" measuring from top of rear tire to bottom of center rear fender). I conducted this test 3 times and every time my rear end dropped 1".

For those of you with a Sport Max Tow package could you guys/gals do the same test? I'm curious how much stiffer the Max Tow rear springs are.
with out knowing it i sorta did the same test...

Max tow with no mods when I did this.

im 6ft 255 at the peak of my bulking cycle. While i was around 255(ish) i installed my MOPAR cover and was also just curious. Had my wife measure while I stood on the lowered taligate. I cant remember the exact numbers but I remember it was negligible..pretty much no sag with me standing on it. it did bounce a bit when flex a bit when I moved up and down but still, not anything huge.

OP
OP
Reasons

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enabler
with out knowing it i sorta did the same test...

Max tow with no mods when I did this.

im 6ft 255 at the peak of my bulking cycle. While i was around 255(ish) i installed my MOPAR cover and was also just curious. Had my wife measure while I stood on the lowered taligate. I cant remember the exact numbers but I remember it was negligible..pretty much no sag with me standing on it. it did bounce a bit when flex a bit when I moved up and down but still, not anything huge.
Awesome. If more chime in with the same results, I may have to look for some Max Tow rear suspension takeoffs/trade, or just buy the rear springs

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Awesome. If more chime in with the same results, I may have to look for some Max Tow rear suspension takeoffs/trade, or just buy the rear springs
No, you would be going backwards. You have everything in your Rubicon as the max tow even slightly taller springs, the max tow sport s has slightly larger brakes this is the only reason the tow ratings are higher and nothing to do with springs. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-available-on-jeep-com-build-price-tool.9368/

OP
OP
Reasons

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enabler
No, you would be going backwards. You have everything in your Rubicon as the max tow even slightly taller springs, the max tow sport s has slightly larger brakes this is the only reason the tow ratings are higher and nothing to do with springs. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-available-on-jeep-com-build-price-tool.9368/
I dont care for towing. I'm building an overland rig for my camping trips with the family. I'm interested in stiffer springs that don't squat as much when loaded compared to the Rubicon springs.

Plan is to have about 500lbs. In the bed during my trips. My rear end already dropped a full 1" with just 250lbs on the tailgate.

Sponsored

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I dont care for towing. I'm building an overland rig for my camping trips with the family. I'm interested in stiffer springs that don't squat as much when loaded compared to the Rubicon springs.

Plan is to have about 500lbs. In the bed during my trips. My rear end already dropped a full 1" with just 250lbs on the tailgate.
You mentioned getting the max tow components your Rubicon has them already minus the brakes.

Having weight on the tail gate is going to be different than having the weight in the bed of the truck think about it. I can load two full size dirt bikes in the bed (460lbs.) and the rear of my Rubicon will go down about half an inch and the truck still is lower in the front.

If your that worried about it your only option is for spring air bags, these mount in the rear springs and will keep you level with any load, they are easy to install and cost about $200 for the complete kit.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here you go.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020

Theres many other threads on here that have discussed this. Sorry can't remember titles. But the rear springs are said to be different with an extra coil. Which is why many max tow owners buy rubicon take offs and only add shocks and front springs, and do not change the rear springs.

Moparbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 gladiator 18 compass 16 Challenger shaker
The rear springs are different the Max tow are stiffer the spring rate is greater than the Rubicon I went from my Max tow rear springs to Rubicon take offs the ride is softer and squats much easier than with the Max tow springs, with hat being said I have a set of Max tow springs you are welcome to just pay the shipping they have 100 miles on them. Brett

Sponsored

OP
OP
Reasons

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enabler
The rear springs are different the Max tow are stiffer the spring rate is greater than the Rubicon I went from my Max tow rear springs to Rubicon take offs the ride is softer and squats much easier than with the Max tow springs, with hat being said I have a set of Max tow springs you are welcome to just pay the shipping they have 100 miles on them. Brett
Sent you a PM.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You mentioned getting the max tow components your Rubicon has them already minus the brakes.

Having weight on the tail gate is going to be different than having the weight in the bed of the truck think about it. I can load two full size dirt bikes in the bed (460lbs.) and the rear of my Rubicon will go down about half an inch and the truck still is lower in the front.

If your that worried about it your only option is for spring air bags, these mount in the rear springs and will keep you level with any load, they are easy to install and cost about $200 for the complete kit.
Exactly - LEVERAGE. The weight farther from the fulcrum, in this case the front axle, will have a greater advantage than weight at the front of the bed - or the middle of the bed. Further forward the weight gets distributed to the front axle somewhat as well as to the rear. On the tailgate or far behind the rear axle the weight is mostly on the rear springs and axle.
When I haul heavy things I try to distribute the weight so that it's not so much in the back. Let the front axle carry a little of it. Standing on the tail gate the front end would actually be carrying less weight than otherwise.
It's akin to loading a car on a trailer. Put the car forward and you put more weight on the tow vehicle, further back and it's more on the trailer axles.
Loading a truck, loading a trailer, basically the same principals.
My suspicion is that if you loaded your Rubicon to the max payload rating it would sit fairly level.