Sponsored

Rubicon Fox Shock Lengths?

Duke56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon. Granite Crystal. Black Freedom Top & Fenders. Rock Krawler 3” Pro-X No limits Lift,
Can anyone tell me what the Compressed and Extended lengths are for their Fox Shocks on the Rubicon?
I’m looking at swapping them out for the Rancho RS9000XL’s for their adjustability but want to match the lengths of the Fox shocks OR would it be OK if I used the extended length Ranchos for now and did a lift later?
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Can anyone tell me what the Compressed and Extended lengths are for their Fox Shocks on the Rubicon?
I’m looking at swapping them out for the Rancho RS9000XL’s for their adjustability but want to match the lengths of the Fox shocks OR would it be OK if I used the extended length Ranchos for now and did a lift later?
Per TTEChris a couple of months ago...

00B84040-6715-4A96-A965-C623897F090D.png

OP
OP
Duke56

Duke56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon. Granite Crystal. Black Freedom Top & Fenders. Rock Krawler 3” Pro-X No limits Lift,
Per TTEChris a couple of months ago...

00B84040-6715-4A96-A965-C623897F090D.png
Thank you!
But......
I thought the Rubicon suspension had 10” travel? The shocks would bottom out at only 8” travel?
My other question was could I use a 2” longer shock without lifting.
This screenshot might explain why I’m not certain on what length shocks to buy.
Rancho specs their rear shock at:
19.89 Compressed
30.25 Extended (DRS Engaged
10.36 Travel
I’m assuming their front replacements would be similar.

upload_2019-12-25_6-10-35.jpeg

Last edited:

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Thank you!
But......
I thought the Rubicon suspension had 10” travel? The shocks would bottom out at only 8” travel?
My other question was could I use a 2” longer shock without lifting.
This screenshot might explain why I’m not certain on what length shocks to buy.
Rancho specs their rear shock at:
19.89 Compressed
30.25 Extended (DRS Engaged
10.36 Travel
I’m assuming their front replacements would be similar.

upload_2019-12-25_6-10-35.jpeg
That appears (to me) to be appropriate for a 3” lift. Those might limit your up travel, but I can’t say for certain. Here are Teraflex specs on their 2-3.5” lift shocks:

C9612BD5-F44F-47C9-BB5C-9949B97F5638.png

OP
OP
Duke56

Duke56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s what I was thinking too.
The Rancho website is wrong or very misleading at saying “Raised Height “0””
I’ve emailed their “Gurus” and have gotten 3 different answers.
I’ve heard from users that I’ve talked to in person AND from research and reviews online and everyone loves the adjustability and ride that Rancho shocks offer. I was hoping Rancho or someone could tell me the right ones for my JT Rubicon. Sigh.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
That’s what I was thinking too.
The Rancho website is wrong or very misleading at saying “Raised Height “0””
I’ve emailed their “Gurus” and have gotten 3 different answers.
I’ve heard from users that I’ve talked to in person AND from research and reviews online and everyone loves the adjustability and ride that Rancho shocks offer. I was hoping Rancho or someone could tell me the right ones for my JT Rubicon. Sigh.
I don’t know that Rancho really has Jeep gurus...
Here- I found a previous email from Teraflex with their 0-1.5” lift shock lengths. These should work for you.

D5C329EF-0E24-4D4A-90E3-44CBEAED10C2.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The other thing to look at - if collapsed length is xx" - does the most extreme travel of that axle stop short of that xx" - or is it right next to maxing out that shock collapsed position?
In other words if the axle is at the extreme high, as high as it can go even crawling in nasty rocks, could you disconnect the shock and push it together another 1" or is that shock also maxed out?
If the stock shock is not maxes out and say you could disconnect it and shove it together another 1.5" then it wouldn't matter if the other shocks were 1" longer fully collapsed as they wouldn't bottom out.
Does that make sense? We run into that all the time with our cars - can't buy the correct shocks any more so we have to find replacements that work - and if a shock is a tad longer or shorter it is sometimes ok if the suspension can't travel as far as the replacement shock could.

OP
OP
Duke56

Duke56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can anyone that has their OEM Fox shocks off tell me what the ID and lengths of the sleeves are?
I believe the rear shocks are 14mm ID and the fronts 12mm ID based on the bolt sizes.
I found a pair of Rancho 9000XL’s to fit the front (RS999063, Same as JL?) and the ride is already noticeably smoother.
The rear sort of “bucks” still having the stiffer Fox shocks on LOL.
I purchased a set of Rancho’s for the rear based on their catalog on their website (RS999066) but they are wrong in all specs and NOT at all for the Gladiator. I’ve let them know about the error but they still list them.
I found and ordered these and will try them out when they arrive Monday night. (RS999304)
Looking forward to getting them swapped out.
The adjustability is one of the reasons I went to Rancho’s.
The fronts set at “1” make it ride like grandpas Cadillac almost but because the rears haven’t been changed yet it’s hard to tell but I’m predicting it will not be so stiff and “bucking” on small bumps/cracks in the road like it does now. The front used to but not anymore.
Once I have the rears swapped out I’ll load up the bed and try different settings to see what combos work best between loaded/unloaded and front/rear.

Jean leroyer

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yatch management
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone that has their OEM Fox shocks off tell me what the ID and lengths of the sleeves are?
I believe the rear shocks are 14mm ID and the fronts 12mm ID based on the bolt sizes.
I found a pair of Rancho 9000XL’s to fit the front (RS999063, Same as JL?) and the ride is already noticeably smoother.
The rear sort of “bucks” still having the stiffer Fox shocks on LOL.
I purchased a set of Rancho’s for the rear based on their catalog on their website (RS999066) but they are wrong in all specs and NOT at all for the Gladiator. I’ve let them know about the error but they still list them.
I found and ordered these and will try them out when they arrive Monday night. (RS999304)
Looking forward to getting them swapped out.
The adjustability is one of the reasons I went to Rancho’s.
The fronts set at “1” make it ride like grandpas Cadillac almost but because the rears haven’t been changed yet it’s hard to tell but I’m predicting it will not be so stiff and “bucking” on small bumps/cracks in the road like it does now. The front used to but not anymore.
Once I have the rears swapped out I’ll load up the bed and try different settings to see what combos work best between loaded/unloaded and front/rear.
Can you give us an update on your setup, did pull the trigger on the teraflex 3.0 but they haven't shipped anything for last two weeks, so thinking on Rancho my JT Rubi is pretty max payload so need to get fox shox off..

20200510_130532.jpg

OP
OP
Duke56

Duke56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I went a different route and went with the Rock Krawler 3.5 No Limits Pro X lift kit and very happy that I did. Awesome ride and handling. MUCH better than stock. For the front I used Fox 2.5 Shocks with DSC and remote reservoir and I’m waiting for Fox to come out with a matching set for the rear. I’m using the Rancho’s in the rear for now and the OK but I want better. I really like how they work with the lift kit and the RK springs. I’m hoping that with the Mojave coming out soon that Fox will have what I need soon. (Fox........ are you listening?)

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
Well I went a different route and went with the Rock Krawler 3.5 No Limits Pro X lift kit and very happy that I did. Awesome ride and handling. MUCH better than stock. For the front I used Fox 2.5 Shocks with DSC and remote reservoir and I’m waiting for Fox to come out with a matching set for the rear. I’m using the Rancho’s in the rear for now and the OK but I want better. I really like how they work with the lift kit and the RK springs. I’m hoping that with the Mojave coming out soon that Fox will have what I need soon. (Fox........ are you listening?)
what is the part number for your front Fox DSC's? i just ordered the -051 which should work for the 3in springs i ordered, but also curious if you can actually bottom out the piston on the compression side of travel, or if the spring/bump stops prevent that.
Sponsored