First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Computer Stuff....
I love my Rubicon Manual had it for a week now and wouldn't trade it for the world, been a Mopar guy for years but this is my first Jeep.

I did just notice that the towing capacity for the Manual is way less then the Auto. I could understand a lil bit of difference but 2500 lbs seems like a lot considering if I understand correctly everything from the 4.10 gears to the suspension is the same. Now I didn't get this thing to tow a lot but was hoping to get a little bit bigger of a camper in the near future.

So... what can I add to my wish list of upgrades to see if I can get closer to the AutoTans 7k mark and what should I avoid to making it worse?
Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
wait that will possibly increase it close to the auto?! for 1k? How do you figure? I don't know so i could use an explanation please.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
wait that will possibly increase it close to the auto?! for 1k? How do you figure? I don't know so i could use an explanation please.
The theory is that the clutch is the weak link in the manual trans. No reason the trans can’t handle more than 4500 lbs. An aftermarket, grippier clutch and heavier flywheel will dramatically improve engagement and holding and its a lot tougher than stock. Not sure it will get us up to 7k but I wouldn’t hesitate to pull 6,000 lbs with the Centerforce clutch (buying tandam axle up to 7,000 lb trailer now so not just idle chatter). Centerforce is going on in the near future.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As always - I’m a guy in the internet and YMMV. Be smart, use trailer brakes and proper safety equipment. Stay tuned for updates.

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Yeah of course. I already got my brake controller installed and a nice anti sway hitch for the camper. Let me know how it goes. I want to know if it's noticeable right away. Also are you installing it yourself?

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah of course. I already got my brake controller installed and a nice anti sway hitch for the camper. Let me know how it goes. I want to know if it's noticeable right away. Also are you installing it yourself?
Waiting for the virus to clear before getting the clutch. Gonna go to a shop to have it installed. Getting too old to crawl around on garage floor. Might try to convince dealer to install it in lieu of the clutch recall fix. - I provide parts and they provide the labor. We’ll see.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
It's not quite that simple - towing capacity is calculated based on several tests (0-60 time, handling, braking, etc). I've never seen the results of these tests but it could be that with the longer gears in the manual it failed 0-60 with 6k lbs of towing so they had to rate it lower

OP
OP
robglass

robglass

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Computer Stuff....
Waiting for the virus to clear before getting the clutch. Gonna go to a shop to have it installed. Getting too old to crawl around on garage floor. Might try to convince dealer to install it in lieu of the clutch recall fix. - I provide parts and they provide the labor. We’ll see.
That's what I was just thinking... I mean if they are going to be doing the same work and you supply the parts it's a win for both. Let me know if they go for it.

OP
OP
robglass

robglass

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Computer Stuff....
It's not quite that simple - towing capacity is calculated based on several tests (0-60 time, handling, braking, etc). I've never seen the results of these tests but it could be that with the longer gears in the manual it failed 0-60 with 6k lbs of towing so they had to rate it lower
True, but a Rubicon Compared to a Rubicon should brake and handle the same. 0-60, I'm not too concerned how fast I get there but if I get a new camper that comes in at a bit over 4k lbs I just want to be good to pull it around US.

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
If I had a manual, I would get a custom South Bend Clutch, and increase gearing vs. tire diameter. South Bend has been the premier clutch company for Ram Cummins diesels for decades, many of which have greatly increased torque over stock.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
if you go to my thread on why the JT Max Tow should be able to tow more than 7650 you will find info/links on standards for determining towing.

Nicholas777

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Endeavor
I'm sure it's mentioned and if so,could you guide me there? My question is dealing with manual transmission, I plan on putting 33's on my soon to be bought gladiator, is the Sport S with the 3.73 sufficient? I do not plan on towing a trailer but will be hauling kayaks. Those aren't too heavy, probably ~200 pounds. Everywhere I read they say get the 4.10. The payload for the Sport S is 1,600 and the max towing is 4,000 while the Rubicon is 1,200 and 4,500.

Since I am adding larger tires, is the 3.73 too small?

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
here is some more info on the 6k estimate
Manual trans “You can tow up to 6,000lb”..... Jeep Brand Manager explain at 10min30sec....
Sponsored