First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Occupation
Engineer
Hello, new member here. I’m about to order a 2021 rubicon with the trailer tow package and manual transmission (only waiting to see if Gobi will be released in 21). I’ve done a lot of research and know exactly what I want. The manual transmission is a requirement. HOWEVER, I was disappointed to learn you can’t get the max tow package with a manual. This is replacing my F250 work truck, so I’ll be pulling a trailer a lot. I don’t expect to match the F250 when it comes to towing cattle trailers/construction trailers, but I would like to be able to pull a 24 Ft center console boat safely. This will be my main work truck for the next two years so I am a little concerned with towing.

I have not seen anything yet on here talking about performance upgrades or aftermarket options for the manual transmission? It seems the main reason the rubi with a m/t has a tow rating way less that with an auto is the trans. Has anyone confirmed this? Basically, what do I need to do to increase the towing capacity of the rubi m/t setup? Coming from the diesel world, I’m no stranger to heavy modifications and adding performance to really expensive trucks, and also familiar with transmissions becoming weak links.
Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Doesnt matter what mods you make you cant exceed the tow capacity written on the door legally. And if you do & something happens your going to get raked by not being covered.

All models with the MT the tow rating is low.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's more than just transmission. Do you have the full tow package? If not, you don't have the higher output alternator or bigger fan motors. Max tow also has progressive springs rated for the heavier tongue weight (and higher payload of max tow)
Even with automatic, the Rubicon won't be rated as high as the max tow - it's a heavier vehicle.
In short, you can't make it have the same towing and payload ability as the Sport S max tow.
Towing rating has to include higher payload due to increased tongue weight - the fact that a Rubicon is heavier is one reason it's got a lower payload rating.
Sport S max tow is lighter, has different springs, and more. The bigger Rubicon tires also have an impact and if you decide to lift or put on bigger tires, you're towing and payload will go down again.

And like explained, if you try and get into an accident, you can be held liable for property damage and more.

You can't build a max tow.

OP
OP
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Occupation
Engineer
Regardless of towing, I’m really interested in the super charger kits for the 3.6 (down the road when my wallet recovers). Is that manual going to hold up long with increased power? Given that it’s been out in the wrangler as well I would think someone has beefed it up somewhere.

OP
OP
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Occupation
Engineer
I don’t plan on lifting. I’m looking at a boat that is 2750 lbs. trailer prob weighs around 1200. 71 gallons of fuel adds another 450, and I’m at 4400. I haven’t looked at gross vehicle weight limits yet but I’m knocking on the door. I definitely agree I don’t want to be exceeding the limit for liability reasons. I still have a old Cummins farm truck for heavy loads and hay trailers, but I don’t really trust her to go to far from home. Until I can recover from the rubicon price shock and get another full size truck I was hoping to be able to take the gladiator to the water. Even if I have to keep the boat empty until I get there

Sponsored

JT_Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2016 Husqvarna FE350S
I have a 6 spd JTR with 35s and Mopar 2" lift. Stock gearing for now. Towing performance out west, Utah, Idaho, Montana...is awful. I was towing a Harley Sportster on a 5 x 10 utility trailer (estimated 1500 pounds) from Utah to Glacier National Park. I regularly had to downshift to 3rd gear just to maintain 70 MPH. Not fun. I would highly recommend an automatic if you were thinking of pulling a trailer regularly.

HONCHO

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I don’t plan on lifting. I’m looking at a boat that is 2750 lbs. trailer prob weighs around 1200. 71 gallons of fuel adds another 450, and I’m at 4400. I haven’t looked at gross vehicle weight limits yet but I’m knocking on the door. I definitely agree I don’t want to be exceeding the limit for liability reasons. I still have a old Cummins farm truck for heavy loads and hay trailers, but I don’t really trust her to go to far from home. Until I can recover from the rubicon price shock and get another full size truck I was hoping to be able to take the gladiator to the water. Even if I have to keep the boat empty until I get there
The manual mated to the 3.6 is poor . the 3.6 has no torque were you need it . if you dont mind reving and slipping then ok .

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't heard many good things from having a manual trans and towing with the JT. I towed about 5,000lbs of rock about 4 months ago with my Max Tow Automatic and it did great. Probably 3,500lbs of rock and trailor weighed around 1500lbs. Towed it about 45 miles one way and it didn't feel like it was struggling. I'm in the Piedmont/foothills section of North Carolina about 1.5hrs from the Smokey Mountains for reference. I personally don't have any experience with the manual but in my research before buying I was advised to get the auto if I planned on towing.

OP
OP
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Occupation
Engineer
So back to the original question, has anyone done anything to address the manual transmission? Aftermarket clutch, different gear ratios, etc? Power in the 3.6 can be addressed, but even that’s not as big of a concern as the ability to get power to the ground.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
So back to the original question, has anyone done anything to address the manual transmission? Aftermarket clutch, different gear ratios, etc? Power in the 3.6 can be addressed, but even that’s not as big of a concern as the ability to get power to the ground.
Try the jl wrangler forum. They have had a couple more years of this motor transmission combo.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks, I’ve been looking there as well. I see a few options for clutches, maybe that’s the route to go.

HONCHO

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
5:13 gears and Centerforce clutch ,with their heavier flywheel help, maybe some one will come up with a tune to help with low rpm power?

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
What is the manual transmission’s torque rating? That’s probably your limiting factor. Obviously, an aftermarket clutch would be an upgrade I’d do if the transmission Itself can handle it.

OP
OP
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 6 spd JTR with 35s and Mopar 2" lift. Stock gearing for now. Towing performance out west, Utah, Idaho, Montana...is awful. I was towing a Harley Sportster on a 5 x 10 utility trailer (estimated 1500 pounds) from Utah to Glacier National Park. I regularly had to downshift to 3rd gear just to maintain 70 MPH. Not fun. I would highly recommend an automatic if you were thinking of pulling a trailer regularly.
is that with the 3.73 rear end? One of the things I like about the rubicon is it’s the only way to get 4.10s with a M/T from the factory

HONCHO

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
is that with the 3.73 rear end? One of the things I like about the rubicon is it’s the only way to get 4.10s with a M/T from the factory
according to his Sig , he has a Rubicon .
Sponsored