Rubicon suspension on Sport S

DesertShark

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
So I purchased my gladiator yesterday, and talked the dealership into throwing in some Rubicon springs with the fox shocks that they took off a Rubicon that they were putting a 6 inch lift on.
I am planning on putting on either a 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 inch leveling kit with this, so that I can clear 37/13.5/17 Ironman M/Ts.
I’m just wondering if anyone has done this, and what leveling kit they would recommend, and what trailing arm they would also recommend with it. Right now I am looking at ordering the Rancho or rough country lift.
Sponsored

Diggs9

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2008 Toyota Tundra dblcab 4x4
Occupation
wood worker
Vehicle Showcase
anyone done this ? I am seeing a bunch of Rubicon take-offs and sellers are claiming 1 1/2" lift...

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
There is a few threads around on this if one searches. Most seem to be getting less than 1" of lift throwing a Rubicon suspension on a Sport model and the ride seems like a mixed bag. It is not like the JK where a Rubicon lift on a Sport actually was a considerable improvement.

Personally, I would recommend a proper lift and not a level kit if putting on 37" tires and forgo the take off Rubicon stuff.

OP
OP

DesertShark

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
There is a few threads around on this if one searches. Most seem to be getting less than 1" of lift throwing a Rubicon suspension on a Sport model and the ride seems like a mixed bag. It is not like the JK where a Rubicon lift on a Sport actually was a considerable improvement.

Personally, I would recommend a proper lift and not a level kit if putting on 37" tires and forgo the take off Rubicon stuff.
Me too but costs lots a $$

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Me too but costs lots a $$
Sounds like you are going for a look more than function. Been there myself but if I could have gone back in time to my past self, I would have told myself to just wait and save and do it proper the first time. Level kits come at a performance hit to ride quality to make the price points they sell at. If you are fine with that, go for it. Just understand what you are doing and know that going in.

OP
OP

DesertShark

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Sounds like you are going for a look more than function. Been there myself but if I could have gone back in time to my past self, I would have told myself to just wait and save and do it proper the first time. Level kits come at a performance hit to ride quality to make the price points they sell at. If you are fine with that, go for it. Just understand what you are doing and know that going in.
You hit the nail on the head. I’m am more concerned with looks than overall functionality for now. It looks like a peewee Herman ride stock so I’ve decided I will probably just install my rubi lift and a 2” leveling kit with some new track bars and lower adjustable arms, and run 35” tires for now. When I got a few grand I can drop into it I will do it up right. Thanks for the comment and have a great day.

Swordfish44

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Quality Engineer

Wouldnt a Rubicon suspension be smoother than the sport models? I just seen a set of rubi shocks/springs with less than 1000 miles for $350 i was thinking of grabbing for my Willys. I also have a set of barely used 33in tires from a rubi in my garage i will swap out at some point. Eventually want 35s though.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Wouldnt a Rubicon suspension be smoother than the sport models? I just seen a set of rubi shocks/springs with less than 1000 miles for $350 i was thinking of grabbing for my Willys. I also have a set of barely used 33in tires from a rubi in my garage i will swap out at some point. Eventually want 35s though.
Having owned a WILLYS and two Rubicon JT's, the WILLYS suspension is way smoother of a ride. The Rubicon OEM FOX branded shocks are spongy compared to the two. If you had only driven a Rubicon suspension JT with the Fox shocks, might not notice it as much but you will once you drive a WILLYS or any other Sport, Overland and other non Rubicon model.

On the Wrangler JL side, there is somewhat of an improvement going to a Rubicon takeoff suspension. JT side, not so much.

Swordfish44

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Quality Engineer
Having owned a WILLYS and two Rubicon JT's, the WILLYS suspension is way smoother of a ride. The Rubicon OEM FOX branded shocks are spongy compared to the two. If you had only driven a Rubicon suspension JT with the Fox shocks, might not notice it as much but you will once you drive a WILLYS or any other Sport, Overland and other non Rubicon model.

On the Wrangler JL side, there is somewhat of an improvement going to a Rubicon takeoff suspension. JT side, not so much.
Cool. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like the only thing to gain by swapping to the rubicon suspension is maybe a 1" lift.

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
anyone done this ? I am seeing a bunch of Rubicon take-offs and sellers are claiming 1 1/2" lift...
I did it almost exactly a year ago. Netted about 3/4" of lift. Ride is a tad more firm. I agree with others' takes that the Fox shocks aren't very amazing, but they're fine.

The deal is, that within a given trim level, there's like 3 or 4 combos of spring rates a JT can have based on options.

Oh I just realized that this thread is 3 freaking years old.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Cool. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like the only thing to gain by swapping to the rubicon suspension is maybe a 1" lift.
That is big "maybe". More like 3/4". Throw on a bumper and winch, can knock 1/2" off that.

If all you are doing is wanting some slight lift, I would recommend a set of rear Rubicon Springs and like a 1.5" set of front leveling springs from Rancho or Clayton Offroad. Round it out with a set of Eibach or Bilstein shocks.

Either way, you are going to be doing the same amount of work.

Swordfish44

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Quality Engineer
That is big "maybe". More like 3/4". Throw on a bumper and winch, can knock 1/2" off that.

If all you are doing is wanting some slight lift, I would recommend a set of rear Rubicon Springs and like a 1.5" set of front leveling springs from Rancho or Clayton Offroad. Round it out with a set of Eibach or Bilstein shocks.

Either way, you are going to be doing the same amount of work.
I am wanting a better looking stance. I do go offroading in the mountains a lot but nothing too technical (not on purpose anyways). I might just wait and save up for the mopar 2in lift that comes with Bilstein shocks all around i believe (this lift is like $3k with installation). Then i can throw on the 33s until i can get 35s. I believe that will get me a lot closer to what i am looking for without suffering too much more on road. I guess we will see.

There goes my Christmas bonus!!!!
Sponsored