Rubicon to Sport S suspension swap

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
If I acquire the suspension components from a Rubicon to use on my Sport S w/max tow is it necessary to swap out all the components or just the shocks and springs. Hope that makes sense.
Sponsored

PUGLIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, SSMT
If I acquire the suspension components from a Rubicon to use on my Sport S w/max tow is it necessary to swap out all the components or just the shocks and springs. Hope that makes sense.
Shocks and springs wouldn't do anything in fact, as stated, the springs are better with Max Tow. The only thing different are the lockers and electronic sway bar disconnects. The rest is cosmetic and drivetrain.

OP
OP
Mkcagle

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shocks and springs wouldn't do anything in fact, as stated, the springs are better with Max Tow. The only thing different are the lockers and electronic sway bar disconnects. The rest is cosmetic and drivetrain.
interesting, you are first person on 3 forums to say that about the shocks. Fox shocks are generally considered to be an upgrade over the stock max tow shocks. General consensus has been to use the Rubican front springs and Fox shocks on the front and just the a fox shocks on the rear. Baffling for sure.

PUGLIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, SSMT
interesting, you are first person on 3 forums to say that about the shocks. Fox shocks are generally considered to be an upgrade over the stock max tow shocks. General consensus has been to use the Rubican front springs and Fox shocks on the front and just the a fox shocks on the rear. Baffling for sure.
Honestly, I forgot the Fox shocks came on a Rubicon JT. I guess that would be another difference but IMO the least significant. It’s a aftermarket add on by the manufacturer. I was referring to OEM.

Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
[QUOTE="Mkcagle, post: 373741, member: 23061"General consensus has been to use the Rubican front springs and Fox shocks on the front and just the a fox shocks on the rear. [/QUOTE]

Exactly what i did.

Moparbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 gladiator 18 compass 16 Challenger shaker
Ditto same here my sport s sits exactly at the same height as a gladiator now

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
[QUOTE="Mkcagle, post: 373741, member: 23061"General consensus has been to use the Rubican front springs and Fox shocks on the front and just the a fox shocks on the rear.
Exactly what i did.[/QUOTE]

what is the advantage of using the rubicon springs in the front? Leveling it out??

OP
OP
Mkcagle

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly what i did.
what is the advantage of using the rubicon springs in the front? Leveling it out??[/QUOTE]
Honestly not really sure. Suffering from a bit of information over load.

Sponsored

Moparbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 gladiator 18 compass 16 Challenger shaker
Yep the Rubi sits a little taller the springs are a touch longer so it leveled it out pretty good, that and the wheels and tires make it look just right for my taste

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I don't know why people online say the Max Tow shocks are somehow superior. There is no indication I've found that suggests they are upgraded in any way over the shocks on a standard Sport or Overland model. The Fox units will certainly be an upgrade if you're planning to bounce around off-road.

As far as the coils go, somebody posted pictures of Rubicon vs. Max Tow coils and the Rubicons looked more linear whereas the Max Tow coils looked more progressive. It made sense, because the Rubicon needs to have the most flexible and consistent ride, while the Max Tow needs to be able to handle loading and towing.

This is why I didn't swap anything. I simply added coil spacers and shock extensions. I got the ride height bump I wanted, for less money, without sacrificing any of the $995 I paid for the Max Towing option.

OP
OP
Mkcagle

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know why people online say the Max Tow shocks are somehow superior. There is no indication I've found that suggests they are upgraded in any way over the shocks on a standard Sport or Overland model. The Fox units will certainly be an upgrade if you're planning to bounce around off-road.

As far as the coils go, somebody posted pictures of Rubicon vs. Max Tow coils and the Rubicons looked more linear whereas the Max Tow coils looked more progressive. It made sense, because the Rubicon needs to have the most flexible and consistent ride, while the Max Tow needs to be able to handle loading and towing.

This is why I didn't swap anything. I simply added coil spacers and shock extensions. I got the ride height bump I wanted, for less money, without sacrificing any of the $995 I paid for the Max Towing option.
what spacers and shock extensions did you use?