Sponsored

Rubicon vs Sport S Fenders (35's Fit?)

SCJeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1952 M38, 2014 Grand Cherokee, 2015 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Are the rear fenders the same on a Rubicon JT and Sport S JT? i.e. will 35's fit stock on the rear of a Sport S, Overland, Etc?

I'm curious if you can go grab a pair of front Rubicon JL fenders and put them on a Gladiator then run 35's. I like the idea of low center of gravity with the increased ground clearance of 35's. This would of course be coupled with a max tow package 4.10's wide track.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The fenders on Sport with Max Towing and on Rubicon both are listed as "MM2" in the order guide, so apparently they are the same.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
They probably have the same fenders because they have the same axles, which are wider than standard.

The max tow package for $1,000 USD (plus the cost of an automatic) is a pretty good deal. You get the Rubi axles and fenders, 4.10 gearing, HD engine cooling, 240 amp alternator, HD brakes and a few other things. .

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
What @Hemi said.... I just wish you could get that package without having to get automatic transmission. I know towing would be less but having the 4:10’s and HD wide track axles would make it worth it. But because we’re forced to buy automatic it bumps price another $2k. Makes it a hard decision between sport s max tow with auto or a base rubi and getting to have manual, lockers, bigger tires, nicer wheels and other rubi bits for a only little bit more.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
They probably have the same fenders because they have the same axles, which are wider than standard.

The max tow package for $1,000 USD (plus the cost of an automatic) is a pretty good deal. You get the Rubi axles and fenders, 4.10 gearing, HD engine cooling, 240 amp alternator, HD brakes and a few other things. .
It is a fantastic deal indeed. I built a Rubicon with the exact same options as my Sport S. The price came out to $7,650 more.

So basically, for $7,650 more I would get the e-lockers, disconnecting sway bar, 4:1 t-case, and some rock sliders. I hate the 4:1 t-case ratio, so would lockers, sway bar, and rock rails be worth $7,650? I don't hardly think so.

The Sport S Max Tow is a sweet setup for the money.

I don't believe any other manufacturer charges for auto transmissions
That's because no other manufacturer offers a manual. :)

Seriously though, manual transmissions are becoming extremely rare and so most other trucks in this segment only have the automatic to choose from, hence no reason to list it on the window sticker. The price is built into MSRP automatically, no pun intended.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
It is a fantastic deal indeed. I built a Rubicon with the exact same options as my Sport S. The price came out to $7,650 more.

So basically, for $7,650 more I would get the e-lockers, disconnecting sway bar, 4:1 t-case, and some rock sliders. I hate the 4:1 t-case ratio, so would lockers, sway bar, and rock rails be worth $7,650? I don't hardly think so.

Seriously though, manual transmissions are becoming extremely rare and so most other trucks in this segment only have the automatic to choose from, hence no reason to list it on the window sticker. The price is built into MSRP automatically, no pun intended.
It was punny anyway....

Guess it depends how much you want the 8.4 display and Mopar leather....

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
It was punny anyway....

Guess it depends how much you want the 8.4 display and Mopar leather....
And OEM LED's (NOT saying they are the best)
Also the keep-your-giant-keyfob-in-your-pocket-and-still-unlock-the-doors option only available for the 2 upper level trims

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I see this. I'm hoping the tow package on the sport s is sufficient because I want the manual, which makes the max tow impossible. It really stinks, but what can you do?

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And OEM LED's (NOT saying they are the best)
Also the keep-your-giant-keyfob-in-your-pocket-and-still-unlock-the-doors option only available for the 2 upper level trims
Yes Sir. the giant Key-Book (note book size key)....think I stick with pulling it out and punching the button for $500 Alex

Sponsored

russross

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I don't believe any other manufacturer charges for auto transmissions
On the Tacoma TRD Pro the automatic is a $2,705 option.

Both Jeep and Toyota are playing a marketing game here. They know that the vast majority of buyers will opt for the automatic, so they do all of their price planning based on the automatic. My guess is that they lose a bit of money when a customer gets the manual, i.e., it cuts into their profit, but that is rare enough that it is worth it to be able to advertise a lower "starting at" price. That starting price is what gets featured in every review and what sticks in customers minds, even though most of them immediately add the automatic option.

Note that on a TRD Off-road, the premium for an automatic is $1,630. Same transmissions as far as I know, but the TRD Pro has a high price tag and making its "starting price" $1,000 less is more valuable to them, so they offer a bigger discount for anyone taking a manual.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

Actually I have 2 compatible builds I’m debating on and the price is a lot closer. Build n differences below...

Sport S
Max tow w/ auto required
Trac lok rear
7” radio w/ conv grp required (remote start)
Hardtop
$44,615 Net

Rubicon
Trailer tow w/ 4.10 wide axles standard
Lockers standard
7” radio standard
Hardtop
$46,485 Net

Adding remote start and auto to the Rubicon adds $2495

For me, if I went Sport S, that would be my build and LineX the bed and add just the bed rails and a roll out tonneau later. Adaptive cruise would be nice but never having had it before, not sure it’s worth $1800 for something I wouldn’t miss.

On the Rubicon side, drove a JL Sport and Rubicon manual and the 4.10 gears made the difference. Sport was VERY long legged. Had to downshift to 4th at 70 to feel any get up and go. Rubicon shift points felt more natural.
So with the $250 tow package on the Rubicon they have same basic features and the $1900 or so gets me the bigger tires/nicer wheels, rock rails, lockers, nicer looking interior and most importantly, as @RedTRex and @Oilburner said, there are other options to consider that are not available to the sport S such as proximity entry, color hardtop, nav radio, trail cam, leather ...
personally I can paint the hard top on either for less than the $1100 up-charge, use my phone w/Apple car play for nav, but being able to add proximity entry and maybe heated leather makes it a tough decision to spend a little more for the rubicon

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator

I'm happy with my Sport S with Max Tow, Hard Top, and Bedliner (factory is cheaper than doing it local)

Has what I want. Lockers and swaybar would be nice but I doubt I will wheel that hard in this.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually I have 2 compatible builds I’m debating on and the price is a lot closer. Build n differences below...

Sport S
Max tow w/ auto required
Trac lok rear
7” radio w/ conv grp required (remote start)
Hardtop
$44,615 Net

Rubicon
Trailer tow w/ 4.10 wide axles standard
Lockers standard
7” radio standard
Hardtop
$46,485 Net

Adding remote start and auto to the Rubicon adds $2495

For me, if I went Sport S, that would be my build and LineX the bed and add just the bed rails and a roll out tonneau later. Adaptive cruise would be nice but never having had it before, not sure it’s worth $1800 for something I wouldn’t miss.

On the Rubicon side, drove a JL Sport and Rubicon manual and the 4.10 gears made the difference. Sport was VERY long legged. Had to downshift to 4th at 70 to feel any get up and go. Rubicon shift points felt more natural.
So with the $250 tow package on the Rubicon they have same basic features and the $1900 or so gets me the bigger tires/nicer wheels, rock rails, lockers, nicer looking interior and most importantly, as @RedTRex and @Oilburner said, there are other options to consider that are not available to the sport S such as proximity entry, color hardtop, nav radio, trail cam, leather ...
personally I can paint the hard top on either for less than the $1100 up-charge, use my phone w/Apple car play for nav, but being able to add proximity entry and maybe heated leather makes it a tough decision to spend a little more for the rubicon
Only comment I will add is you cannot get factory Trac -Loc with the Max Tow

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
One other thing folks are missing in the equation: Resale Value. I know some feel a Sport holds its value more than a Rubi but when it comes time to sell the Rubi will take less time to move and bring a higher ROI, especially if left stock vs. building up a Sport.
Sponsored