Sponsored

Rubicon w Stock Front Bumper...considering a winch.

Salmanilla

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
I plan to take my Gladiator off roading, but not super often or aggressively. I was considering getting a winch - to be safe. Is there a winch that can be mounted to the stock front bumper?

Sal
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
The plastic bumper wont support a winch so you would need to either buy or build a winch mount that attaches to the frame.

It can be as simple as that cheap plate from harbor freight or as advanced as hidden between the frame rails with the fairlead or hawse hidden behind the license plate.

This is what you will end up building on the cheap. These plates use the hooks to ultimately secure the winch plate.

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90205.htm

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
If your going to leave the winch on the truck I wouldnt go with the retrofit plate type thingy just because they are ugly.

The Mopar Steel Rubi bumper also needs a plate, and if thats what you got then I would definitly go that way. If you have a plastic bumper then I would go with a cheap winch bumper made to do the job just becase they still look better then the plate you bolt on top of the factory plastic bumper. There are multiple at 300 bucks or less on amazon.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
The plastic bumper wont support a winch so you would need to either buy or build a winch mount that attaches to the frame.

It can be as simple as that cheap plate from harbor freight or as advanced as hidden between the frame rails with the fairlead or hawse hidden behind the license plate.

This is what you will end up building on the cheap. These plates use the hooks to ultimately secure the winch plate.

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90205.htm
That actually looks like a great option for a Mojave. Leave it off when you're dune jumping, throw it on when you want to rock crawl.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I plan to take my Gladiator off roading, but not super often or aggressively. I was considering getting a winch - to be safe. Is there a winch that can be mounted to the stock front bumper?

Sal
You can also get a front receiver from Curt that attaches to the frame just below and behind the front bumper. Then a Curt receiver mount can be used for the winch. This makes the winch removable, and installs it directly in front of the bumper.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Now this is where I need to be a little careful. My winch came with a mount but totally the wrong mount, for an H1. I'm not a fan of giving up full use of my front hooks so I made a winch mount from two sections of angle steel. It's brutalist design for sure but the beauty is my winch plate unbolts with two 1" bolts from the top, nuts welded to the two angles. Lets me service things when I need the clearance and the design just clears the plastic bumper.

2ab31772-6e4c-4a44-ad98-d64d4fab3a7b-07312015-cropped-2540-01-495-5445 Bumper, Vehicular, Mile...jpg

2521a97c-548b-441e-bf84-cd714e48d203-07312015-cropped-2540-01-495-5445 Bumper, Vehicular, Mile...jpg

a8e4214a-c496-4f58-8c4e-3d0c7ae65aba-07312015-cropped-2540-01-495-5445 Bumper, Vehicular, Mile...jpg

20200430_114901.jpg

20200430_114908.jpg

20200430_114915.jpg

20200430_114920.jpg

20200430_114939.jpg

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
You can also get a front receiver from Curt that attaches to the frame just below and behind the front bumper. Then a Curt receiver mount can be used for the winch. This makes the winch removable, and installs it directly in front of the bumper.
I have a front hitch and a winch basket and while it's great for the occasional tug job :devil: it's not sturdy enough for serious winching and it does nothing to help approach angle which is why I decided to go to a hard mount.

And in case anyone is wondering why a warn electric is hiding where a mile marker hydraulic should be, the MM HI10500 project has been stalled for a while waiting for a pump or more specifically the spare funds for the pump. Now we are just waiting on parts to arrive.

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
That actually looks like a great option for a Mojave. Leave it off when you're dune jumping, throw it on when you want to rock crawl.
I wouldn't do that, one of the weaknesses of the JT is air flow and cooling. I would not have a winch up high and blocking the radiator. Go with a new steel bumper that mounts the winch inside and low. Low gives it a better line angle with the pull vs up higher where it gives it more leverage and makes the mount weaker.

Being lower is always better, helps to pull the Jeep up and over the obstacle rather than forcing it down into to it first.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I installed the Draw Tite front hitch. One topic of great discussion is front or rear mounted winch. Do you have to get there, or should you back away from the problem area? Instead of carrying a bulky, heavy winch, and having to set up wiring for it, with quick disconnects if putting t in the front or back, I decided on the Wyeth-Scott super duty come-along. I have a few short recovery straps and can put one into the hitch with the pin, and hook the come along to it.
https://www.wyeth-scott.com/

Next, consider the effect of going from the stock 35-40 lb. front bumper and plastic skid plate to all steel at 100 lb+ and then a 70-120 lb. winch on top of that. The weight is at the very front, working on the suspension all the time, and making it bottom out on dips in the trail.

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
That come along is fine for a once every few years " what did I get into" It will be the better part of a two hour recovery. You do that once and you'll be looking at getting a real winch.

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I agree that if you will be needing a winch often, you will want the convenience of a powered winch. However, I am reminded of Miyagi saying "best defense is no be there" to the Karate Kid.

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
I would just get a cheap steel bumper that comes with a winch mount and call it a day. There are some nice bumpers that can be had for not alot of money.

OP
OP
Salmanilla

Salmanilla

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Right now, I am carrying a come-a-long and straps, just in case. I like the OEM Rubicon bumper - and recently upgraded all my lights to LED. So, not really excited about having to get new fogs.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Even with a tirfor I wouldn't want to do it by hand.

It all depends on where you are and what type of stuck you are.

A winch allows you to constantly take up the line slack while progressing. Not easily done with a come along alone.

That said i also carry comealongs but mostly to tug the back end around for those situations where you can fit through the trees but cant make the approach work or you need to avoid a wicked side pull, yank the nose around be cranking up the winch.

Dainbramaged

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I don't mind spending money on a bumper and winch if there is a reasonable chance that I'll need it at some point, but I wonder how many winches ever see actual use in the field on the level 3 to 4, maybe 5 trail that I plan to try. Is a winch "insurance policy" often used by those that just want to hit some medium-level trails at the ORV parks?
Sponsored