Sponsored

Rugged Ridge soft rolling tonneau constantly unlatches at highway speeds

ScottDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I purchased a Rugged Ridge Soft Rolling Tonneau cover in May. It's a great looking cover but it will not stay latched at highway speeds. I've been troubleshooting this for 3 months and even installed a second one that was sent to me. Have any of you dealt with a similar issue? There are some obvious variables to the set up, but both Rugged Ridge and Lund, the company that makes them for RR, Truxedo, Truck Hero etc,. have observed all the photos and videos I've sent and are very vague about a possible solution. The issue only occurs at or above 65 MPH.

I've pretty much dissected and adjusted:
  • Rail position
  • Cover tension
  • Weather stripping to keep out wind
  • Release latch position and tension
  • Overall alignment
You name it, I've adjusted it. I followed the installation instructions to a "t". Interesting point though, the release latch rubs the tailgate a bit. Enough to rub some paint off. But, the direction of the pressure would appear to actually put more pressure on the latch than release it.

Any experience or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored

Gator Pit

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Gator
Occupation
Operations Manager
I had this same issue for the longest time, I keep adjusting the tension screws until it finally stopped unlatching. I would turn it one full revolution drive and when it finally popped up I would pull over turn it again and so on and so on… I did it on a long road trip LOL I haven’t had an issue with it since. Now getting water in the bed is a whole other issue, haven’t solved that one yet.

77badriand

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Jeep JK
Bought mine over 2 years ago never had issue. Maybe I adjusted it tight enough first time and it is tight close but has never come unlatched.

OP
OP
ScottDB

ScottDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had this same issue for the longest time, I keep adjusting the tension screws until it finally stopped unlatching. I would turn it one full revolution drive and when it finally popped up I would pull over turn it again and so on and so on… I did it on a long road trip LOL I haven’t had an issue with it since. Now getting water in the bed is a whole other issue, haven’t solved that one yet.
Funny, I've done the same thing. Up one highway exit, adjust... back down one exit. Still no luck.

Thanks for the response.

OP
OP
ScottDB

ScottDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bought mine over 2 years ago never had issue. Maybe I adjusted it tight enough first time and it is tight close but has never come unlatched.
I've adjusted it to be extremely tight and lose but still no luck. It's got me perplexed as all hell. Thanks for your response.

Sponsored

Gator Pit

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Gator
Occupation
Operations Manager
This is where I have mine set and it seems to be working for me. Now do you guys get water in tbe bed?
Jeep Gladiator Rugged Ridge soft rolling tonneau constantly unlatches at highway speeds 20210730_110235

OP
OP
ScottDB

ScottDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is where I have mine set and it seems to be working for me. Now do you guys get water in tbe bed?
Jeep Gladiator Rugged Ridge soft rolling tonneau constantly unlatches at highway speeds 20210730_110235
Actually I don't get water in the bed when the cover is on... and working! :) My tension adjusters are much "looser" and it's still tight.

Also, the space between the bulkhead bar the holds cover and the rails is far less than mine. Following the instructions, it states to push the rails down and outward. Doing ensures the the rails are resting on the bed rails. Interesting. You can see the gap in the pictures I posted here. Thanks for posting this. You're bringing some things to light.
Jeep Gladiator Rugged Ridge soft rolling tonneau constantly unlatches at highway speeds IMG_4019
Jeep Gladiator Rugged Ridge soft rolling tonneau constantly unlatches at highway speeds IMG_4029
Sponsored