Sponsored

Rugged Ridge Venator bumper/tire clearance when fully articulating?

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
So I'm ready to pull the trigger for a winch capeable bumper for my JTR soon with the black Friday sales and all. After agonizing over the dozens of options out there, I've decided that the Rugged Ridge Venator is my favorite. Its sleek, light(ish) at 80 lbs., and seems like good value with built in skid plate. But I digress...

Does anyone know if 37s would rub when fully articulating or flexed out? It looks like it rides very close to the fenders/tires, and has me concerned that it may be only suited to mall crawling. Glad to see 39s are on there statically at Sema, but I wonder on a crazy trail if they would scrape? I'm close to pulling the trigger on that bumper or waiting for the AEV setup.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
So I'm ready to pull the trigger for a winch capeable bumper for my JTR soon with the black Friday sales and all. After agonizing over the dozens of options out there, I've decided that the Rugged Ridge Venator is my favorite. Its sleek, light(ish) at 80 lbs., and seems like good value with built in skid plate. But I digress...

Does anyone know if 37s would rub when fully articulating or flexed out? It looks like it rides very close to the fenders/tires, and has me concerned that it may be only suited to mall crawling. Glad to see 39s are on there statically, but I wonder on a crazy trail if they would scrape? I'm close to pulling the trigger on that bumper or waiting for the AEV setup.
Pretty sure the wings on that un bolt and come off.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase

Does anyone know if 37s would rub when fully articulating or flexed out? It looks like it rides very close to the fenders/tires, and has me concerned that it may be only suited to mall crawling. Glad to see 39s are on there statically, but I wonder on a crazy trail if they would scrape? I'm close to pulling the trigger on that bumper or waiting for the AEV setup.
In a SEMA video the rugged ridge guy said they will be releasing a stubby version of that bumper sometime next year. I also doubt they would sell a bumper that doesn't easily clear 37's when flexed out.

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
The installation guide doesn't look clear. It looks like if it were possible to take the caps off the side of the fog lights would be exposed. I am getting ready to get this one too, just looking for a reason not to. I want one with fog lights, hooks, holes for shackles, full/mid width, winch capable. This one looks to be the only one that fits the criteria best. If 37s were a concern, would 35s not be?

This one I saw on a youtube video looks pretty sharp, but you have to get it painted and there are no hooks. It is on sale for $360 right now. And the small holes make it harder to find fog lights. Look for the JK Gear and Gadgets review on youtube.
IMG_4194_2ce87f99-df88-417f-9068-f68a7a661c50_1296x.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MotoBrad

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
The Venator is not convertible to stubby. They do have the stubby Arcus, but after researching, my Province does not allow stubby bumpers, and our police are on a rampage handing out Vehicle Inspection Tickets. Also, I live in the boonies and there are little island deer everywhere, so the full width protection is wise for me.

I suppose that if it ever did rub when articulating, I could fabricate a couple spacer plates to push it forward and put of the way a bit.

I just worry because I see so many guys doing the high line fenders to get stuff in that area out of the way to increase clearance for big tires. And as much as I like how this bumper wraps around the body, it looks like a rubbing point forsure! Maybe i will just be a Guinea pig and give it a shot.

I can't wait for AEV, I really need a winch for all the adventures i have planned!
Sponsored

Last edited: