First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
Hey all- if you do a google search, you will quickly find links to dozens of articles from all the blogs and legacy industry publishers relating to the development of a FCA or “stellantis” in-line turbo 6 cylinder. There has been no further news the last several months.

any gear heads, pundit insiders, FCA folks,
secret squirrel type folks who just might have a line or heard something through the fog on what might be the latest or the plan with such a dreamy motor???
Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
This is the V6 version of the turbo 2.0 liter, right? I think it's way on the back burner now, but would love to be proven wrong. News went quiet when the Stellantis deal started gaining traction. At one point the T6 was rumored to launch with the Wagoneer.

I think Jeep is actively looking to avoid adding more complexity to the JL/JT than they already are right now (rock-trac 4A, 4xE, EcoDiesel...), and the 3.6 just works for now.

These may be relevant; The T6 may be toast.

From the second link:
So, is the “Apache” 5.7 Hemi going to get a renovation and stay in the lineup, or has it been judged sufficient until battery-electrics and serious hybrids are available for Ram pickups and large cars? The large cars are going through 2024 or so before they are replaced, and likely don’t have enough margin to have a unique midlevel V8. The question then becomes the Ram 1500, Wagoneer, and Grand Cherokee, which do need either a 5.7 Hemi V8 or something close to it in power.

It is quite possible that, looking at real-life power and economy figures from the GME T6, Stellantis leaders decided that the extra smoothness of a straight-six (assuming it is smoother than the Hemi) coupled with a moderate increase in horsepower and torque were not worth losing the marketing cache of the Hemi V8. Instead, perhaps, they will end up using a version of the Pentastar PHEV system in the minivans, or a more performance-oriented hybrid setup—or perhaps we will finally get those upgrades to the 5.7 Hemi.

OP
OP
Caraholic

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
Certainly curious. Yea there’s a couple articles that mentioned the 5.7 getting new investment and upgrades- last I saw. And nope this is supposed to be a new from the ground up straight motor???- was my understanding?
well if they continue reproduce sales figures and exceed expectations- just Exciting thoughts really.......
I love me a straight 6 everyday. I loved all my 4.2’s and 4.0’s

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Any updates on this rumor? The jeep lots are quite empty. More empty than I've seen between model years previously. Wondering if lots are being cleared out of the 3.6 versions in anticipation of an I-6T model coming in 2022. Maybe I'm just wishing that is the case.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Don't know anything about I-6 rumors, but I can say for a fact that Stellantis is planning on pushing the 2.0 hot and heavy.

They are currently converting a transmission assembly plant to an engine assembly plant and it's all 2.0's.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
They're selling a lot of little lifted sad hatches to put them in too though. Easy to imagine pushing the hell out of those little things to up the avg fleet economy. Especially if the brands in the US stable are pretty much all about trucks.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The head of the brand over in Australia said the Hemi engine is on it's way out within the next 8 years. The rumors of the I-6 turbo have been on, off, on again, off again for years now. They are probably looking at whether or not they want to invest in a fully new ICE or if they would rather put their eggs in the electrified basket. An electrified fleet wouldn't require the size or power of an I-6 turbo.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah insiders are saying this engine will debut in the Grand Wagoneer first, then trickle down to other models in the lineup.
Sponsored