First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
Well I finally hit my first snag 3 months in. Rust on a piece of the hinge for the back door. Anyone else experience this?

191DE797-805A-4EF3-9CF5-464B29CCF322.jpeg
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
hasnt happened to me yet but I will keep an eye out now!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Now I have to go look at mine and see if I can determine the finish they have on that black piece. Is it black zinc, a black oxide finish, etc. and go from there.
IF you want to deal with it - I suggest wiping it off really well, clean it up, dry it, mask the painted areas, spray the affected black part with LocTite Extend rust CONVERTER, follow the directions, then go over it with Eastwood clear.
Otherwise I suppose you could show the dealer........
From here - and trying to judge from a photo can be tricky, looks like water stood on it like after a wash or something - ordinary plain water should not do that if it's got a decent finish on it.

But I want to try to find what finish they used as if it's black zinc it would take a long time even with salt water sitting on it, car wash soap is also horrible on some plated and non-painted surfaces. If it's not to my liking I may see how easy it is to remove the part and do it in black zinc myself.

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
Now I have to go look at mine and see if I can determine the finish they have on that black piece. Is it black zinc, a black oxide finish, etc. and go from there.
IF you want to deal with it - I suggest wiping it off really well, clean it up, dry it, mask the painted areas, spray the affected black part with LocTite Extend rust CONVERTER, follow the directions, then go over it with Eastwood clear.
From here - and trying to judge from a photo can be tricky, looks like water stood on it like after a wash or something - ordinary plain water should not do that if it's got a decent finish on it.

But I want to try to find what finish they used as if it's black zinc it would take a long time even with salt water sitting on it, car wash soap is also horrible on some plated and non-painted surfaces. If it's not to my liking I may see how easy it is to remove the part and do it in black zinc myself.
so when comparing it to the other doors, it seems that particular piece doesn’t have much of a finish on it at all. Almost a bare metal look. Either way, I called the dealer and the first advisor I spoke to sounded like he’s heard it happen before and had me drive down to take some pictures and put in a claim. The 2nd advisor when I got there was the one who took the pictures and he had a real look of surprise that this could happen without me subjecting it to any real abuse (no salt water or beach driving, salt from the roads for snow, etc). I also am real particular about washing my own car and the product I use so I’ll rule that out also. It’s the door I use the least tho so it’s possible that some water just sat there and ate away at it, but I’m thinking there should be some sort of finish on that piece and there isn’t.

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services

let me know if you narrow it down though, I’m interested in your thoughts as to how this can be happening.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'll have to pull mine out in light and look or use a flashlight to look closer but I found that at least one of mine has shiny metal, not black, on the edges. It's getting nasty, heavy rain tomorrow and all so may not get a good chance to determine more - but mine also doesn't appear to have a good protective finish on it.
I would like to determine what finish is on it but in any case, it's not well covered, whatever it is.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
One of mine had a bit of corrosion forming on it early on (a few months ago). I wiped it with WD40, and it has been fine ever since. I wonder if something corrosive got on the parts during assembly.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Following

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
Well I finally hit my first snag 3 months in. Rust on a piece of the hinge for the back door. Anyone else experience this?

191DE797-805A-4EF3-9CF5-464B29CCF322.jpeg
Adding @JeepCares to this thread for the follow in case this doesn't get resolved the easy way. Been a week since I brought it to the dealer for pictures. No news yet when I called today.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Adding @JeepCares to this thread for the follow in case this doesn't get resolved the easy way. Been a week since I brought it to the dealer for pictures. No news yet when I called today.
Hi Rob,
Please feel free to reach out to us via PM if additional assistance is needed.
Alex
JeepCares

Sponsored

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
Hi Rob,
Please feel free to reach out to us via PM if additional assistance is needed.
Alex
JeepCares
hey Alex,

PM sent. Dealership stating this is not covered under warranty

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You scared me. I thought you were actually going to show us rust on the door.

If that were my hinge, I'd take it off and hit it with spray paint. 30 second fix. No way I'd drive to the dealership over that.

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
You scared me. I thought you were actually going to show us rust on the door.

If that were my hinge, I'd take it off and hit it with spray paint. 30 second fix. No way I'd drive to the dealership over that.
The dealership is 5 minutes away, so it's not a huge deal for me to go over there. I don't care if its small or large, I want it recorded as an issue with the build of the vehicle. It's a flaw on a brand new car and that flaw will continue to the other 3 doors, which it already has.

I don't know what it is with people being ok with their new vehicles having an issue. I shouldn't have to spray paint anything on a 50k+ vehicle so it doesn't rust.

I'll fight it, because it doesn't take that much time to do so, and if it fixes future vehicle production and helps other people then it's worth my time.

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I don't have any rust in that area, but I did have some on my hinge bolts when I removed them.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The dealership is 5 minutes away, so it's not a huge deal for me to go over there. I don't care if its small or large, I want it recorded as an issue with the build of the vehicle. It's a flaw on a brand new car and that flaw will continue to the other 3 doors, which it already has.

I don't know what it is with people being ok with their new vehicles having an issue. I shouldn't have to spray paint anything on a 50k+ vehicle so it doesn't rust.

I'll fight it, because it doesn't take that much time to do so, and if it fixes future vehicle production and helps other people then it's worth my time.
But that is an ancillary part. It's also a tiny part. And it's also made from a completely different material than the body panels. It would be almost impossible to make that hinge stay black for years.

I'm with you on such an expensive truck and having things that already annoy you, but it's like my wife told me early in our marriage: "Pick your battles."
Sponsored