Sponsored

Rust speckles all over side of white truck

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
OMG! Went out to my truck this morning and i had spckles of rust all over the side of the truck. I didn't have these a day or two ago.

Stopped by my detailer friend and his assistant said its often from brake dust.....

I've had the truck for 5,000 miles now, never noticed 1 spot, then today I see hundreds of spots, flung up on the truck like any of the snow/mud/water would have been. I did a search and heard about "rail dust". Apparently rail cars leave a bunch of iron contaminents around? I dunno.

Anybody else notice this on their truck? I'm assuming its just a freak pothole I went through and not my brakes shreading themselves.

What you guys think? I made a short video as pictures didn't really show them well.
Sponsored

Last edited:

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Dunno about rust speckles, but I've noticed on white JTs on the lots around here; they all have black streaks running down the sides, front from the black plastics used.

Hope yours cleans up easily!

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Well 3 spray washes, two applications of Iron-x and a $10 touchless car wash and Gladys is good as new.

WARNING, IRON-X SMELLS, SUPER STRONG!!! I store mine in 3 industrial zip lock bags and I still get whifs of it in my garage.

Once used on the wheels of my Grand Caravan. Vehicle smelled for 3 weeks with multiple car washes....
Anywho....

DougM55

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Grab a Mother’s clay bar kit from Walmart for $20. Easier than waxing by far. It should grab those small pieces of metal that are rusting out of the paint. Would be a good idea to wax or seal it when you’re done.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
The longer I have my Rokblokz mud flaps the more I like them. Originally I thought I would only run them in winter, but now I doubt I will be pulling them off except if I go wheeling on the big rocks.

Sponsored

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
I had the same rust speckles all over the bed and tailgate of my white JT. It scared me but I clayed them off ant they have not come back. I'm guessing its something in the road salt? Strange thing is I've never noticed them on my other cars.

jeepsterdad

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '71 Commando, '10 Patriot, '15 CX-9
I have the same spots on my white truck that started showing up the past month after driving in all the road salt they use here. I used a clay bar before waxing in late October and assumed all contaminants were gone. I was hoping it was something in the solution they used on the roads that would wash away but they're still there after a couple of hand washes in the driveway. Looks like I'll be trying some Iron-X. If they are caused by brake dust might have to use it multiple times until we get through the snow season and salty roads. Guessing other color of trucks have the same spots but just aren't as noticeable.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same rust speckles all over the bed and tailgate of my white JT. It scared me but I clayed them off ant they have not come back. I'm guessing its something in the road salt? Strange thing is I've never noticed them on my other cars.
I have the same spots on my white truck that started showing up the past month after driving in all the road salt they use here. I used a clay bar before waxing in late October and assumed all contaminants were gone. I was hoping it was something in the solution they used on the roads that would wash away but they're still there after a couple of hand washes in the driveway. Looks like I'll be trying some Iron-X. If they are caused by brake dust might have to use it multiple times until we get through the snow season and salty roads. Guessing other color of trucks have the same spots but just aren't as noticeable.
It could be something from road salt I guess, but i've owned a white minivan since 2011 and never noticed speckles like this.

Are these bad to leave on the car until spring? I'm assuming so.

I need to watch a video on clay-baring. Never done it before.

The longer I have my Rokblokz mud flaps the more I like them. Originally I thought I would only run them in winter, but now I doubt I will be pulling them off except if I go wheeling on the big rocks.
any suggestion where to buy the rokblokz for best pricing?

GOT16

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sting Gray
I've had to deal with those spots for years, rail dust I think they call it, I'm in Illinois.
Was a constant problem on my 2014 white JK.
That's the main reason I bought sting grey for my JT!

I would get them all year long. Basically just had to stay on top of it with good detailing.
As others have said clay bar will work.
Turtle wax guy gave me some magic eraser look alikes, I would use them with detailing spray and that seemed to be my best bet. Always found the clay pieces to be a bit of a pain.

Xenephobe

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Your detailer friend is correct, it's brake dust from the disk brakes. Wire wheel acid can take it off off with no problem, soak the Jeep down with water, spray the acid on one panel at a time, and let it sit for 20 seconds then wash it off with a wash mitt, then rinse. Just don't let it sit on the paint for too long or you could burn it into the clear coat. There are also other options that you can buy from retail stores specifically for brake dust, but they tend to be pretty weak in comparison. I was a detailer for 3 years myself and came across this on most vehicles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turtle wax guy gave me some magic eraser look alikes, I would use them with detailing spray and that seemed to be my best bet.
any idea what products they were?

I would love to avoid using Iron-X. The stuff STINKS. I know my truck will smell for weeks now, lol.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your detailer friend is correct, it's brake dust from the disk brakes.
any thought why the brake dust would have just showed up today? i've put 5,000 miles on it, and this is the first time this has happened.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
any suggestion where to buy the rokblokz for best pricing?
They are a small company, products made in USA. I bought direct on a black friday sale. Maybe they will do something for Presidents Day... they have a Facebook presence you could also watch or connect with them there. Quality product, and the rear bracket actually looks good inside the wheel well, mounts directly to the frame.

Xenephobe

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
any thought why the brake dust would have just showed up today? i've put 5,000 miles on it, and this is the first time this has happened.
More than likely when you parked your Jeep, the disk brakes were wet with water, then proceeded to surface rust while it sat. Then when you started driving again, the pads ground all of that rust off and onto your Jeep. Keep in mind the surface of the rotars are bare metal and rust very easily.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More than likely when you parked your Jeep, the disk brakes were wet with water, then proceeded to surface rust while it sat. Then when you started driving again, the pads ground all of that rust off and onto your Jeep. Keep in mind the surface of the rotars are bare metal and rust very easily.
i dunno.....i'm in wisconsin, its been wet every other day, nothing so far. Either conditions were perfect, or i went through something that splashed up rusty water.
Sponsored