Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-80517.htm

So this looks pretty decent. I'm quite pleased with the front axle control arm skids, and the rear axle control arm skids, I've had some solid thumps and the plates are fine (need paint).

I've also had some BIG thumps to the Rusty's skid, but having had to put up with ill fitment, I'm not averse to replacing them rather than repainting them again.

https://rustysoffroad.com/products/...me-side-skid-plates-jt-gladiator#.YnKGfNplCUk

Anyone made the switch yet?
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I have the Rusty’s and haven’t had issues
 yet
 and my fitment has been fine
 I would like to see a rock hard version in person before thinking of making a change. But that’s me. If you don’t like your Rusty’s
 I’d say change them out. I personally ordered the front ones but haven’t heard anything yet about them shipping them out..

good luck with your decision sir

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370

So this looks pretty decent. I'm quite pleased with the front axle control arm skids, and the rear axle control arm skids, I've had some solid thumps and the plates are fine (need paint).

I've also had some BIG thumps to the Rusty's skid, but having had to put up with ill fitment, I'm not averse to replacing them rather than repainting them again.

https://rustysoffroad.com/products/...me-side-skid-plates-jt-gladiator#.YnKGfNplCUk

I have the rock hard/rustys combo. I did have fitment issues with the rustys LCA frame side skids but now that they are mounted I don't see any need to replace them. They certainly did their job in moab this past EJS. A few sprays of touch up and good to go. Interesting the rockhards version on has one bolt compared to rustys 3.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link

Lol, The Rockhard ones look much easier to install, only one bolt. I remember the hassle I went through to get the Rusty's 3 holes to line up with the 3 OEM holes. It took a while to hog out one of the holes on the thick Rusty's plate. I have a post about it somehere... lol... That being said, my Rusty skids fit fine now, and they have been though a ton of hits and about 10 paint jobs. They do not bend or dent, and I am impressed with their mass and sturdiness. I have the Rock hard skids for the rest of my control arms and shocks, and they are also great, but, I do not plan to switch out Rusty's skid for the new Rockhard skid.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I got the Rusty's/Rock Hard combo sitting on my bench. Got to find time when the weather is good to install.

Sponsored

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
I just put on the rear frame side Rusty's. The drivers side was a pain as mentioned above - had to drill out one hole to make it fit. Also difficult to get a wrench on the small bolts to get them tight. safety wired them just in case they ever come loose. Look beefy and will test them a little this weekend. Going to order the Rockhard front frame side and have all the other rock hard lca sliders that I need to install

IMG_5243.jpeg

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Sorry, side question re: the Rusty's LCA skids,

Can they be used with the Mopar 2" lift?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Sorry, side question re: the Rusty's LCA skids,

Can they be used with the Mopar 2" lift?
yes, they can be used with any lift and stock configuration. I used to hit a lot before my big tires and lift, so, I armored up all my control arm brackets when my truck was stock. I am really glad I did that.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I just put on the rear frame side Rusty's. The drivers side was a pain as mentioned above - had to drill out one hole to make it fit. Also difficult to get a wrench on the small bolts to get them tight. safety wired them just in case they ever come loose. Look beefy and will test them a little this weekend. Going to order the Rockhard front frame side and have all the other rock hard lca sliders that I need to install
if you had put the bolts in from the outside, the flanged nuts would have held in place enough to get the bolts tightened up.

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
Tried that, but couldn't quite get it so gave up. They are just to keep the bracket from pivoting so it should be fine. Will watch those bolts when on the trail.

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Regarding the ill fitment, is it too much to ask Rusty's to revise the part? Seems ridiculous that so many people have issues but Rusty's won't fix it.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Regarding the ill fitment, is it too much to ask Rusty's to revise the part? Seems ridiculous that so many people have issues but Rusty's won't fix it.
I think they might already have revised it. Mine went right on. Mine are about a month old.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
i don't like rusty's business in general. But I did get their RLCA skids. The product is fine and installs fine, no redrilling needed. Everything lined up good enough. I cut out some of the skid with a hole saw to give my control arms enough clearance at full extension. I also didn't tighten the big bolt until last which let me install the 2 little bolts easy enough. It's also not that hard contrary to other saying how hard it is to get the little bolts installed. Fingers, box wrench and a 1/4 inch impact gun is all it took.

I did remove the enitire RLCA to make install easier. if you remove the rear connection it allows you fuss with the front connection and makes it a little easier. Then you just swing the rear back up in place and bolt that in last.

DenverBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Sting-Gray JTRD (D1), 2002 Porsche Boxster S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Off-Road Adventure Engineer (part time)
I can't comment on Rusty's but just installed the Rock Hard LCAs, rear shock mounts, and swaybar motor skids. They are very beefy and relatively easy installs. Great quality.
Jeep Gladiator Rusty's vs Rock Hard - frame side rear control arm skids IMG_5245

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I got ahold of rockhard via email and got a reply on Monday saying the front skids were on the shipping out area. Lo an behold I got an email with tracking and I’ll have them here by Friday! Woot!!! I’ll have them on for Moab!
Sponsored