First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubican
Occupation
Nurse
My husband and I own a 2020 Rubican Gladiator and we love it! We have been looking for an RV that we can pull safely but that has the amenities we want. We like the 2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE. The weights are (Unloaded Weight4674 lbs GVWR 5995 lbs) and length is 21' 11". According to one dealership. Another has the GVWR at 6400. Both are assuring us that it would not be a problem for us to tow. It would be rare for us to have any water in the tanks but I do not want my husband stressed. I would appreciate any advice on whether this is a good choice or any recommendations for similar RV that weighs less. Thank you in advance! :)

IMG-1315 (1).jpg
Sponsored

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
we bought a Jayco SLX8 264BH, dry weight is 4750 and max is 6k. Plan on towing it with my JTR

OP
OP
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nurse
we bought a Jayco SLX8 264BH, dry weight is 4750 and max is 6k. Plan on towing it with my JTR
Thank you! That sounds similar in weight. I have been reading about the 80% thing and it worried me.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I tow a TT that is 6000 dry but I have a max tow.

You MUST have the following things;
1) weight distribution hitch with built in sway control
2) brake controller
3) I’m guessing (hoping) you have the factory tow package and auto?

BUT the main things you need to focus on is PAYLOAD not MAX towing capacity. Your rubicon should have that payload printed on the inside of the drivers door jam. These numbers vary, and I’m guessing yours is a little lower that 1200 since you have a hard top.

Here’s going to be your issue, let’s give you 1200 for payload:

1200 minus the following:

hitch weight, based on your trailer, 10-15%, is around 650 minimum when loaded and possibly over 10%

two adults: 400 lbs

WDH: 100 lbs

this leaves you with 50 lbs when you have a max payload of 1200. That’s with NO other cargo.

To summarize JTRs aren’t made for towing heavy, that’s why they have that max tow. The extra 400 the max tow has makes the difference in the world... that’s two kids and everyone’s stuff.

Personally, I have a max tow, that has a payload of 1583. I still drive alone when towing the travel trailer and my wife drives the other car with the kids because I would be over payload with everyone in the JT.

My advice would be to get a smaller TT, or take two vehicles when camping with your JTR.

Edit: To add, I don’t drive over 55 mph. I take it easy and it’s not bad. If you have a super windy day, it can be scary. Winds over 25 mph, wait until they die down. Could you do it? Yes, but those higher gusts can be very scary.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Good advice above and you will get more from those that tow big TTs. Pay attention to the front of the trailer. If it’s a big box you will encounter head wind loads that make towing more challenging. Curved front, low profile, seamless skinned trailers are the best.

If your Ruby has the Max Tow package you will be able to two up to 7000lbs.

I have the Max Tow with 7650 towing rating. Honestly in either case, and I’ve towed nearly maximum without trailer brakes, weight distribution hitch or anti sway, you should be fine. I drove max speed of 65mph with elevation changes between 759 - 1000 ft with no problem. Fuel mileage was around 16-18 mpg.

You will be good with reasonable speeds and weight distribution hitch (buy the best, some have built in anti sway) and loading your TT and JT properly. Towing no matter the truck, I’ve towed with a 1 Ton Ford Diesels before the Jeep Gladiator, and often was still stressful especially in traffic. I still enjoy the Gladiator and prefer it over the massive Ford.

Take breaks, don’t be in a hurry and your stress level will be fine.

If you can, get a trailer that is around that 5000lb maximum loaded weight, your trips will be even more enjoyable.

IMOP the TT is just a hotel room for my adventures. I want to be outside, but in bad weather you still want some comfort.

Have you looked at the Retro 13 ft trailer(does have better alternative interior and exterior colors now), dry bathroom, seating and living for two in reasonable comfort and a full sized fridge! . They weigh under 3000 lbs dry, have 20 gallon black tank, 20 gallon grey tank and I think a 20 Gallon potable water tank. You’ll have to check those numbers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nurse
It is an automatic 8-speed transmission and yes it came with the trailer-Tow package. I could not find the payload but I will keep looking. . Thank you so much for your advice(even though it is not what I want to hear) LOL Now I need to find an RV with similar amenities that weighs less. :)

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
It is an automatic 8-speed transmission and yes it came with the trailer-Tow package. I could not find the payload but I will keep looking. . Thank you so much for your advice(even though it is not what I want to hear) LOL Now I need to find an RV with similar amenities that weighs less. :)
m
Check out the trailer towing, flat towing forum on here. Scroll down a bit and you will find it. I live in TN too!!

OP
OP
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nurse
Good advice above and you will get more from those that tow big TTs. Pay attention to the front of the trailer. If it’s a big box you will encounter head wind loads that make towing more challenging. Curved front, low profile, seamless skinned trailers are the best.

I have the Max Tow with 7650 towing rating. Honestly in either case, and I’ve towed nearly maximum without trailer brakes, weight distribution hitch or anti sway, you should be fine. I drove max speed of 65mph with elevation changes between 759 - 1000 ft with no problem. Fuel mileage was around 16-18 mpg.

You will be good with reasonable speeds and weight distribution hitch (buy the best, some have built in anti sway) and loading your TT and JT properly. Towing no matter the truck, I’ve towed with a 1 Ton Ford Diesels before the Jeep Gladiator, and often was still stressful especially in traffic. I still enjoy the Gladiator and prefer it over the massive Ford.

If you can, get a trailer that is around that 5000lb maximum loaded weight, your trips will be even more enjoyable.

IMOP the TT is just a hotel room for my adventures. I want to be outside, but in bad weather you still want some comfort.

Have you looked at the Retro 13 ft trailer(does have better alternative interior and exterior colors now), dry bathroom, seating and living for two in reasonable comfort and a full sized fridge! . They weigh under 3000 lbs dry, have 20 gallon black tank, 20 gallon grey tank and I think a 20 Gallon potable water tank. You’ll have to check those numbers.
It did come with

It came with the Trailer-Tow package but it does not say Max Tow. We have looked at the R-Pod online but have not found one around here to look at.

OP
OP
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nurse
m
Check out the trailer towing, flat towing forum on here. Scroll down a bit and you will find it. I live in TN too!!
Thank you! I love living in Tennessee! We moved from Gatlinburg to Nashville area 2 years ago and we love it here but we do miss the mountains.

Sponsored

Deleted member 22728

The Rubi automatic is, roughly speaking, MAX TOW plus the innards/add-ons that make it a Rubicon, as well as the class 4 hitch, receptacles, etc. that come with the trailer tow option. This why the Rubi with TT (gas burner auto) is 7k; take 650 lbs away on the form of sway disconnect, sliders, heavier tires, lockers, etc., and you basically have the MAX T. In any event, we tow a 28' Airstream that is 5950 dry (full propane tanks), typically scales at 6200 (we, too, drag it without waste or water), with a gross combined of like 7780. Both the EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee and the Max Tow Gladiator gasser pull it just fine, with the Eco being the usual puller due to fuel economy. The advice you've received in earlier posts is right-on; prudent road speed, manage tongue load/pre-load, take the finished rig across a weight scale to verify your weight distribution, monitor tire pressures and temps, and keep the engine oil temp in the driver info center as you pull, as it takes the heat load first, then the engine coolant shortly afterwards.

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
The Rubicon with an automatic 8 speed transmission with the 4.10 gears is rated to tow 7,000 pounds. The manual transmission is rated at 4,500 pounds. That's according to the Tow Rating Guide that RV Dealerships use to determine what peoples trucks can tow.

The general rule is buy an RV that is 1,000 pounds below your max. SO, your RV should weigh less than 6,000 pounds. IF you want to be conservative go 1,500 pounds below. I would only do that if you plan on traveling in the mountains a lot.

You definitely need a weight distribution kit and a power tongue jack on the RV. It will make a big difference in the stability of your tow vehicle and the RV. You will also need to add a brake controller to the RV.

Have fun out there.

Deleted member 22728

And another tidbit...

I have access to lots of new take-off springs and shocks from various Gladiators, as well as my own. The one in my profile pic is a Max Tow, however I wanted to do some science and compare the Rubi springs to the Max Tow ones, both visually, and on the road with the trailer. In my experience, and this is my own rig, my driving preference, all based on a totally subjective interpretation. That said......!

Rubicon front springs, Max Tow rears, Max Tow factory shocks, rear air bags @ 22 psi, Reese Straight Line hitch with 1200 lb bars set to 4 links hanging free. With our payload setup, tires, the trailer type, etc., it works.

OP
OP
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nurse
The Rubi automatic is, roughly speaking, MAX TOW plus the innards/add-ons that make it a Rubicon, as well as the class 4 hitch, receptacles, etc. that come with the trailer tow option. This why the Rubi with TT (gas burner auto) is 7k; take 650 lbs away on the form of sway disconnect, sliders, heavier tires, lockers, etc., and you basically have the MAX T. In any event, we tow a 28' Airstream that is 5950 dry (full propane tanks), typically scales at 6200 (we, too, drag it without waste or water), with a gross combined of like 7780. Both the EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee and the Max Tow Gladiator gasser pull it just fine, with the Eco being the usual puller due to fuel economy. The advice you've received in earlier posts is right-on; prudent road speed, manage tongue load/pre-load, take the finished rig across a weight scale to verify your weight distribution, monitor tire pressures and temps, and keep the engine oil temp in the driver info center as you pull, as it takes the heat load first, then the engine coolant shortly afterwards.
Thank you!

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
The payload is very low.... so try to minimize what you take in the truck and trailer.
Sponsored