Sponsored

Safety group implementation

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Looks like my build is going to come to $58235. At this rate I might as well opt for Launch edition.
Anyway, my question is, for those of you who on or have driven the JL for a fair amount, what is your opinion on the Active Safety group and the Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning. Are they well implemented or just super annoying crap like most vehicles in this price range? That's a quick way for me to cut $1700 off the top, but if they're well done then it's actually not a bad deal. Do they come with anything that's not mentioned in the configurator that I should also consider?

On the plus side though, "Granite Crystal Metallic Clear-Coat Exterior Paint" no longer shows as "Late Availability" which is awesome cause that was my 2nd choice after Gobi, so now I can place the order with that.
Sponsored

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
I have the features on my Cherokee Trailhawk and I wouldn't have a vehicle without them. I speed less (since I don't have to cancel cruise and pass people to maintain my speed) and can basically "set it and forget it" and it handles slow downs in construction zones and speeds back up and all that. The collision monitoring is not something I've had go off much - mostly when cars are making left/right turns into roads/driveways and I'm approaching and not slowing since I see they'll be out of the road by the time I'm near. Even then - I personally don't mind the reminder of "hey dude, chill out." I think I've had one case of where I was looking at the radio screen, thought traffic was moving forward and started to go, but the car in front hand not moved and it yelled at me. I guess that could have saved a slow speed bump.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
My pacifica has this stuff. The adaptive cruise is sweet on 2 lane roads, i rarely use it on the interstate. blind spot is nice for switching lanes, don't have to move my head, probably making me a worse driver.

The rear cross traffic thing is AWESOME. Been a few times now when i'm in reverse, the thing alerts you that a car is driving across your rear. I've never experienced it in a parking lot, but in my driveway when somebody is zooming down the road it picks them up like very very far away. Hundreds of feet perhaps.

Mine has active park assist, havn't tried it yet. Also emergency brake never went off.

Lane assist is the cats arse. Also making me a lazy driver, but i'm actually shocked how often it gently nudges you back into your lane. Apparently i'm a shitty driver.

I will be getting both the active and advanced group options.

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I hate lane assist personally. It throws my timing off when changing lanes because I have to fight the wheel. I've also noticed that cars that have it wander MORE when it's off than cars that don't have lane assist as an option. It's gotten to the point where if I notice it's on a rental car, I'll make them give me a different one.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I thought when you used the turn signals - as in the driving requirement to signal when changing lanes, the lane assist "backed off" and let you change lanes. At least on my wife's Grand Cherokee I disliked it until I started using the turn signal then found - hey, is it just me or does it let me change without resistance when using the signal?
Could be wrong, but that's how her Jeep appeared to act.

I can see how in Iowa it's a problem because in this state, no one obeys traffic laws or uses turn signals (as proven by a local TV station that set up a camera at a "right turn only" intersection and found 3/4 of the people in the right lane went straight, cutting other people off, and another camera shows that those who turned at intersections almost never signaled)
Like Dalton said on Red Green's Iowa Episode - "oh, these are Iowans, they ignore their leaders"

Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Your good on the Gladiator since it doesn’t have lane assist but on the Grand Cherokee and others I have driven it doesn’t impact a lane change if you use your turn signal.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Your good on the Gladiator since it doesn’t have lane assist but on the Grand Cherokee and others I have driven it doesn’t impact a lane change if you use your turn signal.
Right - and that's how it's supposed to be - signal lane changes.
My son's Compass, my wife's Grand Cherokee and others I've driven if you signal, it doesn't attempt to correct a lane deviation.
(not even an option on the Gladiator that I can see)
Sponsored