First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
Getting ready to place an order for a '21 Diesel Rubi. I'm debating the safety packages in my head. Part of me thinks it's a waste of money, especially given the insurance savings is only $89/yr for having them. Obviously it's hard to put a price on something that could save a life, especially that of my kids. However, I've been driving for nearly 30 years with never a serious accident.

On the face of it, the fact that these aren't standard options is pretty dumb given the price of the vehicles and such. I haven't compared to other midsize trucks because they aren't even a consideration, but wouldn't be surprised if most of them come with those standard.

I appreciate your thoughts.
Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I held out on multiple "on lot" deals so I could get "Adaptive Cruise" with auto stop. Of course I had to order it. If the auto self stopping feature works just once it will likely pay for its self. If it even partially works it could save a life. I dont know if it will do too much for deer but maybe in the right circumstance. I also wanted adaptive cruise for better trailer towing ease. The only con I see is an expensive windshield that is EXTREMELY vulnerable to cracking. You may want a windshield protector. Clearly I say go for it.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I didn't get any extra safety items and don't regret it. Blind spot monitoring is nice, but check your mirrors and there are no blind spots with the roof off! I don't really like that feature that stops your vehicle if something crosses your path. Not sure if that's mandatory with something else like the front facing camera though.

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
I purposefully did NOT want them and ordered without them.

My reasons:
  1. Cost
  2. Adding the safety packages puts the big box on your rear view mirror. I don't have the big box, and it's quite nice.
  3. More electronics running to doors which are disabled anyway when I remove doors. Probably going to be extremely rare, but this did cross my mind
  4. I believe there are sensors in the front and rear bumper, and I do want to eventually go with after market bumpers with a winch one day, so that would defeat the system? I read something for sure on the rear bumper, but I'm not positive about the front.
  5. Knowing that it's a brick and not a race car, I'm planning on being a very defensive driver. I put a lot of focus on keeping my distance from vehicles in front of me, mostly because I don't want rocks getting flung at the wind shield.
  6. I rarely use cruise control anyway. I prefer to be in manual pilot mode at all times. In the rare cases I am actually cruising on the empty highway, I try to remain focused on my surroundings and if I'm getting too close to anyone else, than I'm going manual pilot again. I fear that having too much automation will make me lazy and ultimately hurt my driving skills in the long run.
  7. I bounce between two vehicles. I don't want to get used to additional features on one, and then they are not there on the other. I just want to be the best driver I can be all the time.

I'm loving mine the way it is without the safety stuff. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Checking my blind spots is pretty easy for me, and I don't feel like I need the assistance of a warning light.

I would never talk you out of it though! I'll just give you my personal reasons. If you like the features, then go for it!

OP
OP

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
I purposefully did NOT want them and ordered without them.

My reasons:
  1. Cost
  2. Adding the safety packages puts the big box on your rear view mirror. I don't have the big box, and it's quite nice.
  3. More electronics running to doors which are disabled anyway when I remove doors. Probably going to be extremely rare, but this did cross my mind
  4. I believe there are sensors in the front and rear bumper, and I do want to eventually go with after market bumpers with a winch one day, so that would defeat the system? I read something for sure on the rear bumper, but I'm not positive about the front.
  5. Knowing that it's a brick and not a race car, I'm planning on being a very defensive driver. I put a lot of focus on keeping my distance from vehicles in front of me, mostly because I don't want rocks getting flung at the wind shield.
  6. I rarely use cruise control anyway. I prefer to be in manual pilot mode at all times. In the rare cases I am actually cruising on the empty highway, I try to remain focused on my surroundings and if I'm getting too close to anyone else, than I'm going manual pilot again. I fear that having too much automation will make me lazy and ultimately hurt my driving skills in the long run.
  7. I bounce between two vehicles. I don't want to get used to additional features on one, and then they are not there on the other. I just want to be the best driver I can be all the time.

I'm loving mine the way it is without the safety stuff. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Checking my blind spots is pretty easy for me, and I don't feel like I need the assistance of a warning light.

I would never talk you out of it though! I'll just give you my personal reasons. If you like the features, then go for it!
Several years ago I bought a Subaru for my then wife and didn’t get the safety stuff because of cost, it interfered with the roofline and seemed like an afterthought, and it seemed unnecessary. Since we wound up getting a divorce I’m especially I signs spend the extra on it. LOL!

The bumper and doors considerations are also good points. I believe I’m going to make the same decision as you.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If you have been driving for thirty years, you are entering the stage of life where your reflexes start to slow down. I opted for every available option on my Overland. The ACC is a great driver aid, and I use it all the time. I always use my mirrors, but the monitors and camera are great aids to avoid mistakes. I'm still a great driver, after 42 years behind the wheel, and I accept every aid possible to keep me that way.

flipflopfarmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
I pick mine up tomorrow but I ordered both the safety and adaptive cruise. I did it because Ive been I combed in an at fault Rear end collision or two and this could prevent it. I like the blind spot detection too. It make sense for me at this time In my life.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I avoided both. One was cost, trying to get a rubicon in my price range. Second was the fact that it relies on the doors being attached, mine were off most of the warm 8 months of the year and will probably never go back on once I get core doors. Third was I put the windshield down and the system isn't a huge fan of that. Fourth was that I drive two other cars and was afraid of having this in one and relying on it then transitioning.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
There are pros and cons, then price. Of course there's no price on saving a life, but there is a price on buying a new vehicle.

I don't like lane departure warnings, don't need ACC, and think frontal collision monitoring is a great idea for any vehicle. Unfortunately you can't just pick and choose from those. You get it all or nothing.

I have seen where aftermarket bumpers made holes for you to retain the rear sensors. If Jeep ever makes official half doors it's possible they will still work with the safety systems.

For me it wasn't worth the price. If price isn't an issue at all, then I would say "why not" especially if you can disable features you don't like (not sure about that).

Sponsored

OP
OP

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
Well I'm placing my order today...without the safety packages. Cost was a bit of a concern, but not the primary driver. I test drove one yesterday and didn't like the way the ACC worked because when it came up on another car I found that I was stuck behind them while other traffic went around. Of course I could have been more attentive to that risk and made the decision to change lanes earlier, but my normal driving style in the city (and typical city traffic) doesn't really fit with that approach. Maybe the distance/sensitivity is adjustable, but it just seemed too intrusive.

NavyAustin

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon - Sting-Gray
Occupation
Old Sailor, Adjective Wrangler
I got the both the blind spot detector and adaptive cruise control on my Rubicon. Combined with the 8.4 and the rear camera, I feel I have much better situational awareness than I did with my Z71. I'm getting a bit older, have always been a bit distracted, and these things help.

The ACC is very useful when cars slow down quickly in front of you, or cut across three lanes. I found it to be very lane-specific - when slowed behind a car, the cruise control accelerated right as I switched lanes and the path ahead was clear.

The first time cross-path detection warning sounded, I was impressed with how far it had detected an oncoming car - I was about to start backing from a store with a shallow parking lot in front of it, and it picked up an oncoming car in the street.

Does the Gladiator have lane assist? I have driven a rental car with lane assist, and found it somewhat helpful. I didn't think it did, haven't looked for it. It was a very obvious switch on the rental car (Buick LaCrosse) but may be a function I have to toggle through the screen to get to. Or I don't have it. The lane assist on the Buick came from two optical sensors on the front bumper, so I don't think the ACC sensor would provide the same function.

Full disclosure: 30 years of marriage - NOT having these options would have been a source of concern for my wife, who seems to want me alive despite being heavily insured. Saved the "I can't believe you got a new car without those" comments for years to come!!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There are pros and cons, then price. Of course there's no price on saving a life, but there is a price on buying a new vehicle.

I don't like lane departure warnings, don't need ACC, and think frontal collision monitoring is a great idea for any vehicle. Unfortunately you can't just pick and choose from those. You get it all or nothing.

I have seen where aftermarket bumpers made holes for you to retain the rear sensors. If Jeep ever makes official half doors it's possible they will still work with the safety systems.

For me it wasn't worth the price. If price isn't an issue at all, then I would say "why not" especially if you can disable features you don't like (not sure about that).
The JT does not have Lane Departure Warning. It does have Blind Spot monitors to help prevent hitting cars and other objects. The ACC and FCW are combined in one package because they utilize the same sensor array. The ACC will override the slowdown if you turn on the left blinker. The ACC has to be enabled every time the vehicle is started. The FCW can be set to warning only or disabled. The sensors in the rear bumper are there to keep you from running into or over things.

After driving with it, I would not buy another vehicle that did not have ACC. It is a great driver aid. The Blind Spot monitor is also an excellent tool when driving in heavy traffic. I did not consider cost for those options. What is Life and Safety worth?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I'm not a fan of the Adaptive Cruise Control, but I do think that Forward Collision Warning with Full Auto Stop should be a requirement on all new vehicles. I've heard too many stories where it's prevented a rear-end collision.

That being said, I have neither, primarily due to cost, and the wait associated with having to order it. And as for the Blind Spot Monitor, I got a couple of small, stick-on spot mirrors for $5, and they work just fine.

Kevin

mnf1fan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Challenger Hellcat. 17' Grand Cherokee SRT, 2021 Mojave,Loaded.
I ordered mine with all the safety options. I didn't see cost being a factor at all. If one of those features saves me one incident with all the idiots on the roads these days, its worth it. You also have some adjustability of the functions in the "settings".
Sponsored