First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
We all know this isn’t the safest thing out there, but I’m curious. What is the safety rating for a JT? Google searches show that the data doesn’t exist yet. The JL has some pretty bad ones from Australia and Europe.
Sponsored

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
front of this vehicle is a Jeep, back is a ram 1500. look at the crash tests of those vehicels and it sould be the same.

I never look at the stars other than to talk a quick comparison. You're going to be better to look at the crash dummies, how much force/impact they took, where they took it and the ammount of whiplash.

Either way Jeep does miserably at frontal partial overlap crash test. does okay getting tboned.

I have a '90 miata that would fail a lot of serious tests like a semi undertesting, so Gladiator will be more safe kek

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
We all know this isn’t the safest thing out there, but I’m curious. What is the safety rating for a JT? Google searches show that the data doesn’t exist yet. The JL has some pretty bad ones from Australia and Europe.
My understanding is that Europe and Australia base their ratings in a large part on what electronic safety measures a car has. If you were driving a tank and couldn't get hurt if you wanted to but no safety electronics it would get a poor safety rating.

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
front of this vehicle is a Jeep, back is a ram 1500. look at the crash tests of those vehicels and it sould be the same.

I never look at the stars other than to talk a quick comparison. You're going to be better to look at the crash dummies, how much force/impact they took, where they took it and the ammount of whiplash.

Either way Jeep does miserably at frontal partial overlap crash test. does okay getting tboned.

I have a '90 miata that would fail a lot of serious tests like a semi undertesting, so Gladiator will be more safe kek
A good idea. Just odd that nothing is officially out there that I could find. I don’t know much, if anything, about this, but I would have assumed these tests would have been performed prior to release. First I’ve seen that I can’t find crash ratings for.

My understanding is that Europe and Australia base their ratings in a large part on what electronic safety measures a car has. If you were driving a tank and couldn't get hurt if you wanted to but no safety electronics it would get a poor safety rating.
Good to know. Typical blog type postings blowing something out. I hear “one star rating” and it has my ears perked.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
I've heard that too about the auz and eu safety ratings, which I why I don't look at them nor the star rating.

Basically if you get hit or hit someone and the car is all steel and really solid... all that force will transfer to the ocupants. If the car can crumple a lot of deflect the force, spread the force out over time... it's less impact (all the force all at once) so safer. This is why the Tesla Model X is one of the safest cars... no engine... up front is a giant crumple zone.

watch these tests and let me know if you think having a ram 1500 back end would make things any different.

Sponsored

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
I've heard that too about the auz and eu safety ratings, which I why I don't look at them nor the star rating.

Basically if you get hit or hit someone and the car is all steel and really solid... all that force will transfer to the ocupants. If the car can crumple a lot of deflect the force, spread the force out over time... it's less impact (all the force all at once) so safer. This is why the Tesla Model X is one of the safest cars... no engine... up front is a giant crumple zone.

watch these tests and let me know if you think having a ram 1500 back end would make things any different.
What I'm getting from the videos is don't run into any walls and hope everyone else's crumple zones take the force for you.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
@MonkeySkunks 50% correct, be a very attentive driver and don't crash. Don't rely on nannys. you know, learn in a safeish (all driving is not safe) car you don't care about, knock on wood, hope you walk away from all your crashes as a learner with a few lesson learnt and avoid freak accidents.

the other 1/2 is physics that you cannot avoid. When a bug hits your windscreen, that bug hits your windscreen with the same force your windscreen hits the bug. There are no signular forces in the universe. When a steel car head ons an aluminum car they both impact with the same force. Hopefully the aluminum car crumples enough to absorb as much impact, spread out the slam, over a little time to reduce what's transfered to the occupants - but not crumple so much that the body of the other car hits the occupants. The steel car.... is going to be too ridgid to crumple and much more of the fore will be transfered to the occupants.

The wrangler looks like the body pannels suffer a total collapse on impact to me, and its a body on steel frame so after those body pannels don't absorb anything the impact slams into the steel frame.

A steel car is better for low speed impacts, parking lot crashes ect... and is less likely to sustain major damage as its stronger.... however any speed over 35mph-40mph is always going to always be worse in a steel vehicle

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
@MonkeySkunks 50% correct, be a very attentive driver and don't crash. Don't rely on nannys. you know, learn in a safeish (all driving is not safe) car you don't care about, knock on wood, hope you walk away from all your crashes as a learner with a few lesson learnt and avoid freak accidents.

the other 1/2 is physics that you cannot avoid. When a bug hits your windscreen, that bug hits your windscreen with the same force your windscreen hits the bug. There are no signular forces in the universe. When a steel car head ons an aluminum car they both impact with the same force. Hopefully the aluminum car crumples enough to absorb as much impact, spread out the slam, over a little time to reduce what's transfered to the occupants - but not crumple so much that the body of the other car hits the occupants. The steel car.... is going to be too ridgid to crumple and much more of the fore will be transfered to the occupants.

The wrangler looks like the body pannels suffer a total collapse on impact to me, and its a body on steel frame so after those body pannels don't absorb anything the impact slams into the steel frame.

A steel car is better for low speed impacts, parking lot crashes ect... and is less likely to sustain major damage as its stronger.... however any speed over 35mph-40mph is always going to always be worse in a steel vehicle
Sticking with equal and opposite reaction the occupants of the steel car should benefit from the crumple zones just as much as the crumple zone car in terms of overall impact force absorption/reduction. How that remaining equal reaction is spread through the steel car and transferred to the occupants is a different story. As the only moveable thing in the steel car I'm guessing it's like dry firing a bow.

My physics could be all messed up though, had a couple.

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
I'm also second guessing the Gladiator now. My kids have lived a good life and haven't even gotten to a bad part yet. Doors off riding is probably worth it. You only live once so might as well have fun while you can.

People die everyday in much safer vehicles.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I’ll take my changes in a JTR on 37s with good bumpers and HD rock rails mounted to the frame.
Results look better than the Tacoma

Last edited:

Sponsored

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Sticking with equal and opposite reaction the occupants of the steel car should benefit from the crumple zones just as much as the crumple zone car in terms of overall impact force absorption/reduction. How that remaining equal reaction is spread through the steel car and transferred to the occupants is a different story. As the only moveable thing in the steel car I'm guessing it's like dry firing a bow.

My physics could be all messed up though, had a couple.
You may be correct about the crumple zone of an aluminum car helping both vehicles in a crash. so Just hope you hit an aluminum car and not a tree, deer moose, or another wrangler or gladiator.

best thing would be to find a video of a steel body on frame veicle vs an aluminum unibody, with relatively same size vehicles, head on crash test. and see which dummies get beat up less. My basic physics knowledge says the steel car's frame will take less damage but the passengers will get a really hard slam and whip lash.

WOW, look at how much the aluminum car crumples vs the steel body on frame truck... i'm kinda shocked.

Think of wiping out on rollerblades. Slamming flat into the ground really really hurts. falling off a skate board, slamming into the ground really really hurts. If you scoop, slide, safety drop out of it... you'll still get the road rash or grind your knee pads, but if you spread the impact out over time... its less force released all at once. Less impact. I don't know how to explain. Think of walking into a door that's locked closed vs a door that swings open when you walk into it.

but also... its a myth that driving is safe YOLO. You can die crashing a Subaru Forester or Legacy or Tesla Model X (some of the safest vehicles in a crash).

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
being thing would be to find a video of a steel body on frame veicle vs an aluminum unibody, with relatively same size vehicles, head on crash test. and see which dummies get beat up less. My basic physics knowledge says the steel car's frame will take less damage but the passengers will get a really hard slam and whip lash.

but also... its a myth that driving is safe YOLO. You can die crashing a Subaru Forester or Legacy or Tesla Model X (some of the safest vehicles in a crash).
Jeep Grand Cherokee vs Toyota 4Runner?

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Jeep Grand Cherokee vs Toyota 4Runner?
okay, this thread just got a lot more interesting. I would want to be in the Toyota 4Runner.

---------------------

would you rather be in a Fiat 500 or Smart Car?

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
okay, this thread just got a lot more interesting. I would want to be in the Toyota 4Runner.

---------------------

would you rather be in a Fiat 500 or Smart Car?
Even though it is the frame on vehicle and theoretically would sustain more injuries to the occupants over the unibody construction of a JGC?

If I were in a crash between those two micro-rides, I'd have to go with the Fiat since it is a little larger = more crumple room. I've seen crash videos of the Smart Cars - they do well at holding the integrity of the "cage" for the occupant, but it doesn't seem like there is any space for force deflection. I'd have to imagine it'd be like hitting a tree with your go-kart as a kid.

All of the above being said with absolutely no knowledge of which is better in either scenario (this coming from a WK2 owner no less...).

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Even though it is the frame on vehicle and theoretically would sustain more injuries to the occupants over the unibody construction of a JGC?
i cheated and looked at iihs.org they've got a similar rating

i just don't want my left foot/leg to end up looking like this
Screenshot_20190919-171038_Chrome.jpg

also the whiplash looks worse in the JGC, the dummy moves around a lot and the 4runner controlls the dummy better = less whiplash.

all vehicles are going to have a trade off, of where you will get hurt and how (smashed or whiplashed). So look at the dummys and pick your poison. iihs.org actually has a lot of crash details of how you will get broken in a wreck.
Sponsored