Not open for further replies.

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
Hey guys has anyone heard of midwest jeeps in Normal, IL?? They came up on google as the most affordable so purchased some trail mirrors. Problem is they sent me a bunk email filled with encryption and the phone number is “disconnected”. Havent seen the charge for the mirrors but still worried ive been hacked. Anyone dealt with these guys?

Www.mwjeep.com
Thinking about it, they could also be using the site to collect email addresses, usernames, passwords and security questions. The info could be used later or to sell.. If by chnace you created an account and happen to use the same password on another site, you may want to change your password(s) on the other sites and make them unique. It's can be surprising how many people reuse passwords which is not a great practice.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
That's a good point on passwords. Also on web sites I only give out a voicemail phone number, never give companies a cell phone number.

OP
OP
Markpod7

Markpod7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Thinking about it, they could also be using the site to collect email addresses, usernames, passwords and security questions. The info could be used later or to sell.. If by chnace you created an account and happen to use the same password on another site, you may want to change your password(s) on the other sites and make them unique. It's can be surprising how many people reuse passwords which is not a great practice.
Yeah that would have been a red flag to me as well this one only asked credit
Card and billing infor which seemed normal. It wasnt till i got the sketchy email receipt that i began to suspect something was up...

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
@Markpod7 Also, did you perhaps create an account with them? Use your email to do so? Or did you give them a password you use anywhere else? If so, change EVERYTHING you can as quickly as you can. Also, use multi-authentication when you can to prevent unauthorized access.

@PEI-Gladys Just saw you said the same thing, good job :) I still say set up multi-authentication if you can. I have it on pretty much all of my accounts that can use it. Even if they have user/pass, unless they can get the key for my 1-time code they're useless.

OP
OP
Markpod7

Markpod7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
@Markpod7 Also, did you perhaps create an account with them? Use your email to do so? Or did you give them a password you use anywhere else? If so, change EVERYTHING you can as quickly as you can. Also, use multi-authentication when you can to prevent unauthorized access.

@PEI-Gladys Just saw you said the same thing, good job :) I still say set up multi-authentication if you can. I have it on pretty much all of my accounts that can use it. Even if they have user/pass, unless they can get the key for my 1-time code they're useless.
Yeah there was no account to be made so i haven't created a password or anything like that.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Yeah there was no account to be made so i haven't created a password or anything like that.
That's sketchy in itself. Every legit site wants to make an account so you can buy more stuff easily.

Trophyhntr2002

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tundra
Occupation
Nurse
I was worried about same thing. I called the number that appears on bank statement. Actually spoke with a person. He said they are working from home and the other number is supposed to forward over but isn't. He checked into my issue and actually called me back with an answer. We'll see if they follow thru.

OP
OP
Markpod7

Markpod7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Meant to update you guys...two weeks
Later i had a fraudulent charge for 150 to some sporting goods store. Caught it/cancelled it and had to get new card. Apparently they save the info and try to hack you later on...beware of midwest jeep.com!

jeeparizona

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
They're still scamming people in December 2020! I joined to add to this thread. Last week I bought struts from mwjeep.com and was wondering why after a few days there was no shipment confirmation. I went to their site and clicked "Track Order" and after seeing the error page I knew something was up so I did some searching and found you guys!
The domain is registered with Google so I'll email [email protected] to let them know what's up.
TIP: I know CapitalOne has virtual card numbers (other companies might have something similar) and they are SUPER convenient for situations like this. It's called "Eno" and it creates a new CC# that can only be used on the one site you're buying from. So instead of having to go through the big pain in butt of canceling the card and all the other crap that goes along with that, you just dispute the one charge attached to that one CC#. And it doesn't create more work, the plugin will recognize CC forms and will ask if you want to use a virtual number for that purchase. Simple, Smart, and it just saved me from having to cancel my card that's attached to all kinds of important things.
I'm surprised the site is still up and able to take transactions. Credit card processors are STRICT, I've dealt with them a lot in my business and even when you run an honest business that bends over backwards for customers they take card disputes very seriously. And mwjeep.com is still showing in Google shopping. Hopefully this attempt will get them shut down for good so they stop scamming others.

Sponsored

squarefoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR, 22 JL 4xe
Occupation
Self Employed
Kinda reminds me of the Netflix show 'Don't F**k with Cats'. Maybe a new show called Don't F**k with Jeepers should be made.

jeeparizona

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I just emailed Googles abuse department with all the information. I confirmed he is still paying for Google Ads, which will really piss off Google and make this a priority for them.
As someone mentioned earlier, he owns apexclutch.com and from reading complaints here: https://www.scampulse.com/apex-clutch-reviews it appears he's phishing. He's basically gathering your information and then using it later on. With all the work this dude is going through to scam people, I'm surprised he doesn't email back saying "Your part is out of stock..." I might have believed it.
I'm brand new here and you all helped me and others with this thread so a big thank you!
Please spread the word about Virtual CC numbers to help stop these scammers, more about it here: https://www.lendingtree.com/credit-cards/how-to-get-virtual-credit-card-number/

That's not an affiliate link. I'm just someone who's had their CC info stolen online a few times and didn't want it to happen to my fellow Jeep fans.

Now I'm going to read through the forums to see if someone can talk me out of buying the new Bronco ;)🐎

Status
Not open for further replies.