School a Toyota guy on reliability

CRUISERGUY

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Cruiser, Tacoma
I'm a Toyota nut, specifically Land Cruisers, but I have a Tacoma also. This new JT is in many ways checking a lot of the boxes that a 70 series Land Cruiser checks, and also a lot of the boxes that we dream of the Tacoma checking, but the Tacoma is steadily devolving into a more and more car-like luxury truck with some nagging reliability problems. But reliability has always been T's strong suit - amazing reliability.

So if I bought one of these Jeep critters, what can I expect, reliability-wise? I think the Pentastar is a pretty tried and true engine - what kind of longevity are we looking at? What about the manual transmission? If the Wrangler format (and this is basically that format) has a reliability problem, what is it?

Thanks a lot.
Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Depends on your expectations of reliability. Powertrain should be solid and wear and tear on seats, trim, and body panels should be good. Historically, FCA has had some complaints with tech and the Wrangler has some steering, suspension, wind noise, and leak issues that may follow the JT. I imagine the list of problems including recalls, issues, and whatever else on the forum will vastly exceed the Tacoma complaints (engine power band and gear hunting, differential leaks, and uncomfortable seating position).

pilotpat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 & 2020 Bright White Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator :)
Depends on your expectations of reliability. Powertrain should be solid and wear and tear on seats, trim, and body panels should be good. Historically, FCA has had some complaints with tech and the Wrangler has some steering, suspension, wind noise, and leak issues that may follow the JT. I imagine the list of problems including recalls, issues, and whatever else on the forum will vastly exceed the Tacoma complaints (engine power band and gear hunting, differential leaks, and uncomfortable seating position).
BUT ITā€™S A JEEP!!

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
I'm a Toyota nut, specifically Land Cruisers, but I have a Tacoma also. This new JT is in many ways checking a lot of the boxes that a 70 series Land Cruiser checks, and also a lot of the boxes that we dream of the Tacoma checking, but the Tacoma is steadily devolving into a more and more car-like luxury truck with some nagging reliability problems. But reliability has always been T's strong suit - amazing reliability.

So if I bought one of these Jeep critters, what can I expect, reliability-wise? I think the Pentastar is a pretty tried and true engine - what kind of longevity are we looking at? What about the manual transmission? If the Wrangler format (and this is basically that format) has a reliability problem, what is it?

Thanks a lot.
Welcome to the forum!

The JL has done a lot of the heavy lifting on getting any kinks out of a new platform. Someone said it best over at the JL forum that any issue that came up was addressed and fixed for current and future Wranglers. Nothing is lingering and nobody had to pay out of pocket.

IMO all new cars are reliable compared to what it was like 30-40 years ago. Unreliable cars really run into trouble after 10 years. So reliability to me only matters if I'm buying used.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
.. leak issues that may follow the JT.
If you mean leaks in the top, I would think the JT would be easier to seal up vs a Wrangler since there is less real estate to cover.

Concerning reliability, I put over 100K miles on my 2013 Unlimited Wrangler w/ the 3.6L. I had one issue, a crank sensor went bad. Ultimately sold it to my brother for his son to drive, they drive it every day & still doing fine. Jeep has really upped their game in quality the past 10-12 years.

Sponsored

Limamikemike

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Powerwagon
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
We were traditionally a Toyota family because of my brother in law being a sales manger at a larger Toyota dealership. We currently have a 05 rav4 and 14 rav4, but have owned a 13 Venza a couple corollas and three pick ups (86, 93 and an 01 Taco). Iā€™d say the cut off for anything truly reliable for Toyota is the mid 2000s.

The trucks and corollas were truly awesome for reliability and easily went over 250k with only minor wear items and the typical Canadian rust issues.

My 05 Rav4 is my daily commuter because I would be an idiot to commute in a powerwagon. Iā€™m currently in a battle of wills with this cockroach as it refuses to die at 347000km. I think itā€™s only on its second battery.

The Venza we traded and the 14 Rav4 have been less than stellar and we wonā€™t be keeping the 14 RAV4 much past warranty expiration. These were both my wifeā€™s vehicles and she has little tolerance for taking stuff in for warranty, the Venza was especially bad.

Iā€™ve had no Jeeps but a couple Dodge HD trucks I wouldnā€™t hesitate to recommend them, especially my 2006 3500 5.9(Daimler/Chrysler product) and my current 2015 PW 2500(which is a FCA product). Solid vehicles with few real problems.

Iā€™d also say before anyone drives a new Taco if youā€™re considering one try driving one of the old pickups with a 22re or a 3vz-e first, then decide if the drivetrain sucks.

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician

Thanks a lot.
The pentastar is definitely more reliable than the 3.8l that was in the early jks. Reliablilty is all relative to your own opinion. For me 250k+ miles, maybe a couple small issues and small recalls within that mile range. However some will say 100k, 150k, 180k, 200k, 300k, 500k and so on... As well as some say different variations of problems still considered reliable.
Can you tell us what your definition of reliable is?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
any issue that came up was addressed and fixed for current and future Wranglers. Nothing is lingering
I know the die hard Jeepers would say its just a jeep thing, but there is a 60 page thread on the jl forum about wind buffeting, not wind noise. People are still having issues, so i wouldn't say everything has been addressed, and this is just one item i happened to notice on a test drive i recently took on a JL Rubicon.

Reliability is relative though. To a Yugo owner, the JT will be a hypertruck

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I have been keeping track of things to watch out for on the JLs. Here is my list of possible issues, keep in mind I think they effect only a small number of people.

Before I jump into the list let me say that the 3.6 is long proven as most have already told you. Some are concerned it may be under powered but that depends on what you are doing and what you expect. Many feel the tacos are under powered as well, but again this is all relative. As far as the m/t, it is a brand new tranny for the JLs and I don't think it has been around long enough to comment on the reliability/longevity. It is made be Aisin, and they have been making solid transmissions for Jeep for a very long time. It is said to have a very light clutch and short car like throws. Unfortunately it greatly decreasing the tow rating and can only be matted to the 3.6L. Still I will be rowing my own in my JT.

Ok here is my list of issues, if anyone else has more to add please let me know.

Steering - seems to be the biggest concern and the solutions vary from software update, to new steering box, to new front end components, adjust tire pressure, to just plain its a SFA its going to be bumpy and take slight more effort to steer, Jeep thing.

HVAC - unless corrected for the JT, some have complained the HVAC dumps unfiltered air into the cabin, which can be hot in summer or cold in the winter. Supposedly only for brief moments and done on purpose by Jeep engineers to prevent CO2 cabin build up. You can decided if that answer holds water. Although it sounds annoying its not a deal breaker for me.

Speaker rattler - a few have complained that the front drivers speaker harness is loose and causes distortion. Easy fix to secure.

Frame Welds - some JL had issues with frame welds and there was a small recall, seems to be fixed and an isolated incident. You are a Toyota guy so you should know about frame weld issues.

Wind noise - some have complained about the hard top causing the buffeting, as far as I can tell, it just means the weather strips on the freedom panels are not sitting quiet right. They can be played with to fix the issue but getting it right may take some trial and error. Also if people are complain about noise with a soft top, yeah Jeep thing, still awesome.

Fuses - when you take delivery push fuses in to ensure they are fully seated, otherwise electrical issues can happen. There have been some isolated non fuse issues with the electrical as well. I don't have much info on those.

Then you have people concerns about issues they think will happen but haven't yet. example ESS/Starter problems, FAD front axle disconnect, etc. time will tell if these are valid concerns. I am not to worried.

Hope that helps.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
My2c. Read. Reflect.

Performance and reliability are not factors in the following equation.

Pic#1: does Toyota have this?
Pic#2: any original Toyotas from WWII selling on Craigslist for 15K? (IDK...are there?)
Pic#3: any Toyota looking like this ever sell for 1200?

It is a Jeep. Forget everything else. Drive a Jeep!

1949 Okinawa - Scrapped Jeeps.jpg

01616_hSUZYII1f53_600x450.jpg

00707_18jFZivoev6_600x450.jpg

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I have been keeping track of things to watch out for on the JLs. Here is my list of possible issues, keep in mind I think they effect only a small number of people.

Before I jump into the list let me say that the 3.6 is long proven as most have already told you. Some are concerned it may be under powered but that depends on what you are doing and what you expect. Many feel the tacos are under powered as well, but again this is all relative. As far as the m/t, it is a brand new tranny for the JLs and I don't think it has been around long enough to comment on the reliability/longevity. It is made be Aisin, and they have been making solid transmissions for Jeep for a very long time. It is said to have a very light clutch and short car like throws. Unfortunately it greatly decreasing the tow rating and can only be matted to the 3.6L. Still I will be rowing my own in my JT.

Ok here is my list of issues, if anyone else has more to add please let me know.

Steering - seems to be the biggest concern and the solutions vary from software update, to new steering box, to new front end components, adjust tire pressure, to just plain its a SFA its going to be bumpy and take slight more effort to steer, Jeep thing.

HVAC - unless corrected for the JT, some have complained the HVAC dumps unfiltered air into the cabin, which can be hot in summer or cold in the winter. Supposedly only for brief moments and done on purpose by Jeep engineers to prevent CO2 cabin build up. You can decided if that answer holds water. Although it sounds annoying its not a deal breaker for me.

Speaker rattler - a few have complained that the front drivers speaker harness is loose and causes distortion. Easy fix to secure.

Frame Welds - some JL had issues with frame welds and there was a small recall, seems to be fixed and an isolated incident. You are a Toyota guy so you should know about frame weld issues.

Wind noise - some have complained about the hard top causing the buffeting, as far as I can tell, it just means the weather strips on the freedom panels are not sitting quiet right. They can be played with to fix the issue but getting it right may take some trial and error. Also if people are complain about noise with a soft top, yeah Jeep thing, still awesome.

Fuses - when you take delivery push fuses in to ensure they are fully seated, otherwise electrical issues can happen. There have been some isolated non fuse issues with the electrical as well. I don't have much info on those.

Then you have people concerns about issues they think will happen but haven't yet. example ESS/Starter problems, FAD front axle disconnect, etc. time will tell if these are valid concerns. I am not to worried.

Hope that helps.
very nice synopsis for others that don't know. thanks!

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
I have been driving Jeep products on and off the last 25 years and constantly wranglers as daily drivers since 2011.

My only warranty repairs were as follows:
2012-Cylinder Head replacementā€”known issue on ā€˜12 3.6
Turn Signal switch replacement. Traded at 43k miles.

2014- no issues traded at 53k miles

2016- no issues traded at 40k miles

2018 JL currently at 21kmilesā€”steering damper replaced, software flash for electric power steering stiffness in cold temperatures.

Overall my Jeeps have been exceptionally realiable and I would recommend over any Toyota product!

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
I'd put my 2 Toyotas up against ANY JEEP as far as reliability. My 2015 4Runner is extremely comfortable and is really tough. 135,000 miles and finally just replaced the brakes. Other than that just maintenance. My 94 pickup isn't very comfortable but is bomb-proof. I think I replaced a starter and exhaust and have over 270,000 miles on it. Check out the TopGear episodes on youtube where they try and kill an old Hilux parts 1,2 and 3. They buried in the ocean, dropped a camper on it. hit it with a wrecking ball, lit it on fire, it fell 240' on a demolished building, They dragged it out of each situation and it started up and they could drive it. PRETTY KICK ASS IF YOU ASK ME

Also, check this out about a 4Runner that had a huge tree crush it. and keeps on going.

I've been very happy with them.

This shouldn't be a pissing match....both brands make kickass trucks and I can't wait to add a Jeep Gladiator to my garage.

My 2010 Grand Cherokee was actually a POS in comparison- poor performance, a few issues before 100k, but after my 05 4Runner saved me after a head-on collision I was in a pinch and the only new decent SUV I could get for the price was the GC

I routinely give and get thumbs up from Wrangler drivers all over the country when I'm in my Toyotas.

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd put my 2 Toyotas up against ANY JEEP as far as reliability. My 2015 4Runner is extremely comfortable and is really tough. 135,000 miles and finally just replaced the brakes. Other than that just maintenance. My 94 pickup isn't very comfortable but is bomb-proof. I think I replaced a starter and exhaust and have over 270,000 miles on it. Check out the TopGear episodes on youtube where they try and kill an old Hilux parts 1,2 and 3.

Also, check this out about a 4Runner that had a huge tree crush it. and keeps on going.

I've been very happy with them.

This shouldn't be a pissing match....both brands make kickass trucks and I can't wait to add a Jeep Gladiator to my garage.

My 2010 Grand Cherokee was actually a POS in comparison- poor performance, a few issues before 100k, but after my 05 4Runner saved me after a head-on collision I was in a pinch and the only new decent SUV I could get for the price was the GC

I routinely give and get thumbs up from Wrangler drivers all over the country when I'm in my Toyotas.
Now that's a way to haul firewood. lol
Sponsored