• Total voters

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
I have been following the development of a modern, up-to-date Jeep pickup since the Gladiator concept rolled out on to the car show stage in 2005. The Gladiator was a 2 door extended cab and looked great and that truck served as the catalyst for what will FINALLY be available in showrooms next year - some 14 years later. I wrote Jeep in support of producing the Gladiator and they wrote me back asking for my opinion as to configuration ideas. Now as the day of production nears all I see are spy shots of a crew cab. UGH!!!

Do you feel as I do that a two door or two door extended cab should also be part of the production lineup? Let's send a message to Jeep that we love the forthcoming Gladiator but not just a crew cab but a two door or two door extended cab too!
2005-jeep-gladiator-9.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
2 doors don't sell for crap, the JT is already going to be a niche vehicle as is, so the odds of a 2 door JT ever happening are probably nil. If you want a 2 door Jeep truck there are about 30 years worth of pre-existing Jeep truck models already in existence for you to choose from. ;)

Also, apparently new US fuel economy rules that went into effect in 2017 are based on the "square footage" of the vehicle, meaning regular cabs get held to a higher standard by the EPA than crew cabs do. So another nail in the coffin for the regular cab in general, not just from Jeep.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/04/is-the-regular-cab-pickup-doomed.html

Sponsored

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
2 doors don't sell for crap, the JT is already going to be a niche vehicle as is, so the odds of a 2 door JT ever happening are probably nil. If you want a 2 door Jeep truck there are about 30 years worth of pre-existing Jeep truck models already in existence for you to choose from. ;)

Also, apparently new US fuel economy rules that went into effect in 2017 are based on the "square footage" of the vehicle, meaning regular cabs get held to a higher standard by the EPA than crew cabs do. So another nail in the coffin for the regular cab in general, not just from Jeep.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/04/is-the-regular-cab-pickup-doomed.html
Yeah nice article from 2013 - 5 years later extended cabs and regular cabs are still being built - including the latest models of the mid sized Canyons, Colorados and Tacomas. I have a 2015 Ram Quad cab and love it. Ram (another FCA product) just expanded the Rebel this year with new model year to include a quad cab in addition to the crew cab. I don't want just a 4 foot bed to haul with - what the hell good is that??? Nope sorry - I want an extended cab with the longer bed = after all this is a truck not a glorified open air station wagon!

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah nice article from 2013 - 5 years later extended cabs and regular cabs are still being built - including the latest models of the mid sized Canyons, Colorados and Tacomas. I have a 2015 Ram Quad cab and love it. Ram (another FCA product) just expanded the Rebel this year with new model year to include a quad cab in addition to the crew cab. I don't want just a 4 foot bed to haul with - what the hell good is that??? Nope sorry - I want an extended cab with the longer bed = after all this is a truck not a glorified open air station wagon!
Quad cabs aren't a 2 door truck, and are therefore largely irrelevant to my post, and the article quoted...which was discussing solely regular cabs, which have mostly died out in US markets except as fleet vehicles(basically the only reason regular cabs even still exist in the US). Quad cabs, extended cabs, and variations thereof still fair decently well as cheaper alternatives to full crew cabs. If the 4 door JT sells well enough I could see them possibly expanding to an extended cab model at some point, but the plain 2 door would never be worth the added manufacturing costs. The tiny beds on modern 1/2 ton crew cabs are incredibly annoying though I agree, part of the reason I love my 6.5' bed Duramax.

Canyons/Colorados(aka Isuzus) and Tacomas have heavy overseas markets where smaller base model trucks continue to sell well, whereas the JT will be by Marchionne's own words a "lifestyle vehicle" and "intentionally expensive." So, by all accounts they aren't exactly targeting the overseas work truck markets or base model markets heavily with this vehicle regardless of your specific wants. Their posted sales target is 100k units per year, which is about half of the Tacoma US sales market, so it's anticipated they'll be trying to compete against the higher end ZR2 or TRD Pro type trucks.

So again, this is intended to initially be a more niche vehicle, not a competitor for the full lineup of Tacomas or Colorados. 4 doors sell. 2 doors don't. (Your truck has 4 doors). An extended cab could be possible as they sell well, but I think Jeep is trying to bring this to market without an extensive amount of new tooling and as many shared parts as possible with the JL, so it's unlikely.

At least you've confined your OMGSH PLZ GIVE 2 DOOR FCA <3 posts to this single thread now, so props for that.

Signed,

A 2 door base model regular cab Jeep truck owner. ;)

FrankInNordale

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport
ITS NOT A TRUE TRUCK!!!!! ITS JUST A JEEP WITH A TRUCK BED!!! Therefore stop the truck expectations about numerous cab and bed configurations. Good grief people.

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITS NOT A TRUE TRUCK!!!!! ITS JUST A JEEP WITH A TRUCK BED!!! Therefore stop the truck expectations about numerous cab and bed configurations. Good grief people.

It's not just a Wrangler with a bed though, as it has it's own frame and an actual tow rating.

Another reason they probably won't do anything other than the 4 door? The Dakota is coming back.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It’s not JUST a Wrangler with a truck bed. It’s a Wrangler WITH A TRUCK BED! Is the Tacoma is a 4Runner with a truck bed, or a Chevy 1500 a Tahoe with a truck bed? All body on frame SUVs and their related pickup counterparts share engineering and components.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Canyons/Colorados(aka Isuzus) and Tacomas have heavy overseas markets where smaller base model trucks continue to sell well, whereas the JT will be by Marchionne's own words a "lifestyle vehicle" and "intentionally expensive." So, by all accounts they aren't exactly targeting the overseas work truck markets or base model markets heavily with this vehicle regardless of your specific wants. Their posted sales target is 100k units per year, which is about half of the Tacoma US sales market, so it's anticipated they'll be trying to compete against the higher end ZR2 or TRD Pro type trucks.
The Dakota is coming back.
THIS. They will NOT make the JT in all this configs as they will make the new Dakota the fleet/work truck. If you want the single cab, long bed start reading up on the 2020+ Dakota as thats what will offer what your looking for. FCA is going to keep fleet sales with Ram as thats already their Fleet sales brand for trucks. Like Tex said above the JT/Gladiator is going to be a 'lifestyle" truck like the ZR2 and TRD Pro is were it built for off road enthusiasts and daily drivers, yet still offers some tow capacity so people can pull toys with it (ie RZRs, Boats, Snowmobiles, Small Camber, etc).

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THIS. They will NOT make the JT in all this configs as they will make the new Dakota the fleet/work truck. If you want the single cab, long bed start reading up on the 2020+ Dakota as thats what will offer what your looking for. FCA is going to keep fleet sales with Ram as thats already their Fleet sales brand for trucks. Like Tex said above the JT/Gladiator is going to be a 'lifestyle" truck like the ZR2 and TRD Pro is were it built for off road enthusiasts and daily drivers, yet still offers some tow capacity so people can pull toys with it (ie RZRs, Boats, Snowmobiles, Small Camber, etc).
I wonder if the Dakota will be built on the JT Chassis? They'll probably still put IFS on it though..
Sponsored