Sponsored

Solved)Scrape sound over bumps or dips in road..help!

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
My gladiator started making what I described as a tire scrape like sound over bumps or bigger dips in the road. I want to say it's the rear because when it dips down I can faintly hear it in the cabin. I looked back there everything looks secure...not even to 11k miles yet. I hoped it was just the exhaust moving but I can't replicate it. Even bounced the jeep around while parked...Any thoughts? Anyone have this too?
Sponsored

MTDIRK

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
My gladiator started making what I described as a tire scrape like sound over bumps or bigger dips in the road. I want to say it's the rear because when it dips down I can faintly hear it in the cabin. I looked back there everything looks secure...not even to 11k miles yet. I hoped it was just the exhaust moving but I can't replicate it. Even bounced the jeep around while parked...Any thoughts? Anyone have this too?
Will be interested if you find this. mine sounds like a chunk of ice rattling between the bed and cab. I can’t find anything loose, but also can’t figure out the magic combo to of speed and bump to duplicate it. Drives me nuts.

JT202006

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2006 Jeep Wrangler
I have the same thing, can't figure it out...

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Have y’all checked the torque on your rear sway bar links? They have a tendency to get loose if you are using aftermarket links. It might not hurt to check them with stock links. From there, check torque on your control arm bolts.

MojaveBart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Ducati Panigale 1199s, Harley-Davidson 114 Fatboy, Harley-Davidson FLSS, Aprilia Tuono Factory, Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
I get that every now and then too. In 1200 miles, 2 to 3 times. I've not investigated it...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kilroy1941

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
Have y’all checked the torque on your rear sway bar links? They have a tendency to get loose if you are using aftermarket links. It might not hurt to check them with stock links. From there, check torque on your control arm bolts.
It's a stock max tow. As far as the control arms everything seems tight. Had to make an appointment with a second stealerahip. First one near me is lazy, their response to everything, including the steering for awhile was it was a jeep thing... rather drive 45 miles away to get a real dealership to check. Appointment is next Wednesday so we will see.

OP
OP
Kilroy1941

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
I get that every now and then too. In 1200 miles, 2 to 3 times. I've not investigated it...
Is yours stock? Mine is a max tow stock atm. The noise has gotten louder as I've driven more these past few weeks and occurs more if I have weight in the bed, which is why I think it's from the rear.

MTDIRK

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Mine is stock rubi. Sometimes it sounds like it’s in the backseat and sometimes it sounds a little lower and further back but exactly the same sound.

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
I had this happen in my jku, i know they are different (have a jt). But; On my jku it was the rubber isolators around the rear sway bar, an ocasional shot of pb blaster lubbed it up and the noise went away. On the jk in know it was the issue as it happened and was resolved that way a few times.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kilroy1941

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
I had this happen in my jku, i know they are different (have a jt). But; On my jku it was the rubber isolators around the rear sway bar, an ocasional shot of pb blaster lubbed it up and the noise went away. On the jk in know it was the issue as it happened and was resolved that way a few times.
If they can't figure it out I may have to try it but I can't see how it would last long in our harsh winters. Getting worried as the sound has been happening more frequently and getting louder since I posted.

OP
OP
Kilroy1941

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
Well, three days at the dealership. claim they can't hear it, Saturday I go back to show them how someone diagnoses a sound...service woman told me she heard it as the tech drove off. Same tech who says he heard nothing. Top it off they closed early for Christmas eve and forgot to mention it. Stuck without my new truck, again. Come Saturday we'll see what happens

OP
OP
Kilroy1941

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
Went to the dealership, guess what I got it to replicate the first time I tried. Now they are going to look more into it today and Monday

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350; 2016 Hellcat Challenger; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon.
Stock Rubi with 7K miles.

The sound I'm starting to hear is more like a 'popping' noise that comes intermittently from the rear (sounds like drivers side).

It doesn't happen when driving straight on the highway, but if I'm, say, backing up and turning it will, or if I'm driving on uneven surfaces it'll pop. Just not all the time.

It's similar to the 'pop' that a broken U-joint or leaf spring would make on the old Cherokees or Wranglers.

Maybe it's a Rubi shock absorber gone bad? Hopefully it's covered under warranty.

Anybody hearing something similar?
Sponsored