Sponsored

Solved)Scrape sound over bumps or dips in road..help!

OP
OP
Kilroy1941

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
Stock Rubi with 7K miles.

The sound I'm starting to hear is more like a 'popping' noise that comes intermittently from the rear (sounds like drivers side).

It doesn't happen when driving straight on the highway, but if I'm, say, backing up and turning it will, or if I'm driving on uneven surfaces it'll pop. Just not all the time.

It's similar to the 'pop' that a broken U-joint or leaf spring would make on the old Cherokees or Wranglers.

Maybe it's a Rubi shock absorber gone bad? Hopefully it's covered under warranty.

Anybody hearing something similar?
No idea, mine is more a scrape but dealership had it a week and says they can't figure it out. One of those drive it until it breaks more things I guess. Hope you find the issue, my gladiator seems to be piling on jeep issues with no fixes in sight
Sponsored

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350; 2016 Hellcat Challenger; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon.
No idea, mine is more a scrape but dealership had it a week and says they can't figure it out. One of those drive it until it breaks more things I guess. Hope you find the issue, my gladiator seems to be piling on jeep issues with no fixes in sight.
Thanks! Good luck on your issue too.

Eric Kern

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition Bright White (stock) / 2009 Harley Davidson Night Train / 2021 Yamaha GP1800R Riva Racing Stage 1+
Any luck with this?!?! SAME exact issue on me JTR LE It seems like...mines a very quick chirp, similar to a noise the tire would make If It rubbed something for a split second...hard to replicate/ intermittent.....I think It occurs more often in the cold, when hitting bumps (definitely in the rear), potentially when the shock is extending coming off a bump...I think I can almost repeat It when turning to drive up an incredibly steep hill, once the entire truck goes from flat to hill It will chirp real quick...(sound like the same thing?!?)....hoping itā€™s not drive line/train related...

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I just noticed it 2 times in the last 2-3 weeks...thought it was odd since I was just going over a little rise on the road. I have almost 20K miles on mine and it has the Rubicon shocks, the rest is stock. It sounds like it's coming from the rear driver side. The only other thing I am noticing is that I get some light squeaking from the passenger front from time to time. I have a scheduled appointment next week and I am going to see if I can have them replicate it.

OP
OP
Kilroy1941

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
Sounds like what I have, no luck for me, new dealership said nothing they could see wrong. Old dealership I ignore said their usual answer whenever somthing is wrong " it's a jeep thing "

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kilroy1941

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
Check torque on control arm and sway bar bolts?
Dealership said they checked everything and nothing is off, it sounds more going over big bumps or going up an incline. Maybe it's something failing inside the shock itself

Eric Kern

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition Bright White (stock) / 2009 Harley Davidson Night Train / 2021 Yamaha GP1800R Riva Racing Stage 1+
Yeah I have a JTR LE, mine just started within the last couple months, but agree, happens at cold driving hitting bumps going up steep inclines etc...think sometyong is rubbing

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Dealership said they checked everything and nothing is off, it sounds more going over big bumps or going up an incline. Maybe it's something failing inside the shock itself
Then check it yourself. Get a torque wrench, look up the specs and tighten everything yourself.

Only then can you confirm anything and you can move onto the next option.

MTDIRK

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
I am planning to check the bolts on the bed when it warms up. hoping one of you figures this out before summer. Nothing more annoying than a squeaky suspension.

Sponsored

Eric Kern

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah Iā€™m planning on getting under there very soon, itā€™s just been snowing / crappy the last few days. Loose hardware and/or rubber bushings would make sense for what Iā€™m hearing, plus over the summer I found my lower ball joint Castle nuts were only finger tight from the factory...will report back when I check, hopefully this weekend at latest.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I just noticed it 2 times in the last 2-3 weeks...thought it was odd since I was just going over a little rise on the road. I have almost 20K miles on mine and it has the Rubicon shocks, the rest is stock. It sounds like it's coming from the rear driver side. The only other thing I am noticing is that I get some light squeaking from the passenger front from time to time. I have a scheduled appointment next week and I am going to see if I can have them replicate it.
Hi @Br4hm4,

Please feel free to send us a private message if you would like additional support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This sounds much like what I'm hearing as a crunch, driver's side underneath. I use the word "crunch" but "pop" and "scrape" work as discriptors too. It sounds to me like it's somewhere from the front to underneath me but it's hard to tell for sure. It's mainly when it's cold. I have another thread on it.

I took it to the dealer a couple of mornings ago, and they found nothing wrong. They couldn't replicate the sound, but of course it wasn't a very cold morning. This morning it was in the low 30's and it did it over and over again until it warmed up. Frustrating. They did say to bring it back if/when it starts doing it more. I think I'll just show up there one morning when it's cold and see if they'll take it for a spin.

I believe it's something within the shock, but the cold effect makes me question it.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I actually have found a way to consistently recreate the sound for me. There is a speed hump, as I leave work, that is angled. I am forced to turn right slightly as I am going over the hump and as the rear end comes over it, it makes that sound. I decided to see if it did the same thing coming out of dips...and sure enough, when the rear of the truck goes in to the dip, as I am turning right, it makes the scraping sound. I still can't pinpoint where it is coming from but it's definitely driver side left rear.

Eric Kern

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think Iā€™ve figured It out the noise with mine at least....itā€™s something with the exhaust/ bracket/ grommet directly under the B-Pillar (between driver side front and rear door)...this would explain why It only really happens on cold start...It also sounds completely different inside the cab then when standing outside...now that itā€™s about 10degrees in CT itā€™s pretty pronounced and repeatable just by rocking the breaks...I have a recording of just the sound from Inside the cab but the forum wonā€™t let me upload It, and the video is to large...WTF!!!!
Sponsored