Searchiong for a canopy-Smart CAP vs ALU-CAP vs RLD vs ARE

Tanners Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired Soldier and DAC
New member here and have seen some of the threads on canopies, but seeking input on the 4 canopies I listed in the title (was all I could find that had them for my new Gladiator).

My intended purpose is protection of my gear and dog. With the dog, will need windows to allow for air. Don't plan on boon docking it or putting a tent on top. I do want ease of putting my kayak racks & have a EZ Rec Rack that works well for my wife & I- currently set up on my Thule rack system mounted on a track system (https://www.ezrecreationalracks.com/)

Am concerned about some of the production/ shipment delays reported as bird hunting season is right around the corner.

Some Qs-
- I have a sport trim, and don't have the Trail Rail Cargo Management System. Must I have that to install any of the canopies or can it be installed using C clamps as done on my old Ram?

- Rack installation- again, I use my racks to move my kayaks. Currently configured I have thule mounts that are in the track system & the footers clamp over them. Having tracks isnt a deal breaker but is a conveience. For those w/ cross bars- any additional/ noticeable wind noise?

- Leakage- either from windows/ doors or from the mating to the bed? I live in western WA and rain is something we deal with 3/4 of the year- I need it to be dry

- Availability- as mentioned, bird season is around the corner & I'd like it soon- thoughts?

- Cost/ Value- do you feel what you got was worth the cost, has value to you or if given the chance, would you go another direction?

Thanks for the feedback in advance- looking forward to reading your experiences
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I have an RSI and love it, have Yakima round bars on the rail system both with boat loaders to allow loading heavy kayaks but more importantly, hauling two 34” wide is a real wide rack. So boat loaders can be extended out to support the side of a yak, did not use it yet but it will.
The fiberglass tops are not rated as high for weight unless getting the internal frame model. Does not seem to matter which brand they are all expensive, although fiberglass are hundreds cheaper!…..Jack
Jeep Gladiator Searchiong for a canopy-Smart CAP vs ALU-CAP vs RLD vs ARE 6C6478A2-8BEE-43AA-8BAF-5E30647E0B99
Jeep Gladiator Searchiong for a canopy-Smart CAP vs ALU-CAP vs RLD vs ARE 68CF6149-B346-42B2-8860-0F41A0B3532F

OP
OP
Tanners Owner

Tanners Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired Soldier and DAC
Thanks for your feedback. Nice rig!

I have an RSI and love it, have Yakima round bars on the rail system both with boat loaders to allow loading heavy kayaks but more importantly, hauling two 34” wide is a real wide rack. So boat loaders can be extended out to support the side of a yak, did not use it yet but it will.
The fiberglass tops are not rated as high for weight unless getting the internal frame model. Does not seem to matter which brand they are all expensive, although fiberglass are hundreds cheaper!…..Jack
Jeep Gladiator Searchiong for a canopy-Smart CAP vs ALU-CAP vs RLD vs ARE 68CF6149-B346-42B2-8860-0F41A0B3532F

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
If you're looking for one in a hurry don't get an ARE. They are pretty far out on delivery dates. I ordered in April and was told 3 months but now they are saying August - I assume that means September. Someone ordered in February and just got theirs on another post.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
I just ordered an RLD. They have some inbound that they expect to have on hand in 30 days. That's what they told me anyways ...

I bought the Mopar trail rail system off eBay for ~$310, IIRC.

Sponsored

solfrost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator
If you're looking for one in a hurry don't get an ARE. They are pretty far out on delivery dates. I ordered in April and was told 3 months but now they are saying August - I assume that means September. Someone ordered in February and just got theirs on another post.
Can confirm, 141 days from when I placed my order to installation yesterday! Haven't had it long enough to have any opinions on the cap itself, but it'll definitely be a wait if you go with ARE.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
There is a Sting Grey ARE cap listed in marketplace for $1195 located in York, Pa. The listing was directing to a facebook posting, but sellers phone number is in thread. Listed Saturday.

bhadfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
@Tanners Owner not sure where you are in Western Washington but I'm in the North Seattle area and have an RSi that I've had for about 6 months now that I would be happy to meet up and show you if you are interested in seeing one in person. It took a while to get but it's been worth the wait, really happy with it despite a few idiosyncrasies around where it sits on the bed, additional spacers and locking mechanisms that weep glue.

The side windows and cab windows would work perfectly for a dog(s) and mine has been bone dry even driving through significant storms.

I don't have any experience with the other brands but would certainly recommend the RSi. They have been getting bashed pretty hard in the other threads but overall it's been a good experience for me.

DM me if you want to take a look and I'm sure we can find a time.

OP
OP
Tanners Owner

Tanners Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired Soldier and DAC
Good to know

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have a RSI SmartCap and am happy with it. RSI will send out new backing plates to resolve the oozing glue issue. I purchased through Offroad Alliance. They should be able to get you an estimate for time to deliver.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tanners Owner

Tanners Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired Soldier and DAC
So, took the plunge; put a deposit on a RLD canopy w/ Adventure Ready in Seattle. Should be here ~ 30 days. Was configured as I wanted. Will report back w/ pics once I get it. Excited to get it; scared to tell the wife what it costs......... ;-)

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Do not tell your wife, just say you found it along road, half of them shipped dented anyway! I love mine the pop open side windows are great ,access to whole bed easily!.....jackl

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
Alu-Cab canopy camper here. My answers below:

- I have a sport trim, and don't have the Trail Rail Cargo Management System. Must I have that to install any of the canopies or can it be installed using C clamps as done on my old Ram?

Yes, the canopy camper mounting brackets fasten to the trail rails.

- Rack installation- again, I use my racks to move my kayaks. Currently configured I have thule mounts that are in the track system & the footers clamp over them. Having tracks isnt a deal breaker but is a conveience. For those w/ cross bars- any additional/ noticeable wind noise?

I have load bars mounted to the included rails on top of the camper, with 2 rigid solar panels mounted to the load bars. I don't hear any whistling or excessive wind noise. It's pretty tall, so loading/unloading kayaks would probably require a step.

- Leakage- either from windows/ doors or from the mating to the bed? I live in western WA and rain is something we deal with 3/4 of the year- I need it to be dry

There was initially some minor leakage in the bed along the rear door, but I traced it to one of the bolts holding the spare tire mount to the door. Sealed it with caulk and haven't noticed a problem since.

- Availability- as mentioned, bird season is around the corner & I'd like it soon- thoughts?

Reach out to dealers for lead times.

- Cost/ Value- do you feel what you got was worth the cost, has value to you or if given the chance, would you go another direction?

Definitely worth it! I purchased mine as demo unit from my local dealer, who previously had it installed on his Tacoma. Saved a lot of money, plus didn't have to pay for shipping. I wouldn't go another direction — very happy with the Alu-Cab.

Thanks for the feedback in advance- looking forward to reading your experiences

OP
OP
Tanners Owner

Tanners Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired Soldier and DAC
Looks like my canopy is delayed to early Sep. Am disappointed, but looking forward to getting it. Tom from adventure Ready has been very responsive to my querie.

Will post a pic once it’s installed.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Welcome to the new world order, it i ssurprising when something comes quickly or undamaged. You will love the cap no matter what brand just reaching in from side windows today reminds how much better then my suburban it is.....Jack
Sponsored