Sponsored

Seeking opinions on towing this TT with a Max Tow

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
My wife and I are looking at buying a travel trailer this spring, and we are asphyxiated fixated on the Grand Design Imagine XLS 22MLE. My current JT only has the regular towing package, so I'm fully prepared to trade it in for a Max Tow. But I am concerned about the weight of this trailer even with a Max Tow. Website stats:

UVW ~5200 lbs
Hitch Weight ~500 lbs
GVWR ~7000lbs

Best I can tell from RV forums, you roll off the dealer lot with a real UVW of about 5300 lbs and a real hitch weight of about 600 lbs. On paper, still no problem for the Max Tow, but my warm fuzzies subside when thinking more about the tongue weight.

On the RV forums, general advice is to worst-case plan for 13% of GVWR on the tongue, which would be 900 lbs--way over the 765-lb owner's manual limit for the Max Tow. We generally pack light, so I can't imagine us actually getting up to that 7000-lb GVWR in the trailer if it's 5300 lbs empty. On the forums, people report their trip-loaded tongue weight from 700 to 775 lbs, which is getting to be borderline.

It will just be my wife and I in the vehicle, so I am not concerned about payload (isn't it 1500-1600 lbs for the Max Tow?). Boondocking isn't on our radar at all, so no concern about a generator and fuel in the bed (nor weight of water in the trailer). There are a couple dozen campgrounds within a two-hour drive of us, most of which would require zero interstate travel. The most strenuous things I think we would actually do are the mountains of North GA/East TN/West NC and the Gulf (6 hrs by car).

So as the title states, I am looking for opinions on towing this with the Max Tow, which comfortably covers all parameters except maybe tongue weight. I've been through all the threads; I know there are others on here towing similarly-sized travel trailers. Of course everyone says theirs "pulls fine," but I guess I'm looking for more reassurance it'll work or solid reasoning it won't. Based on the type of trips I think we'll do most often, I am ok with the Max Tow being adequate as opposed to having way too much truck, but the last thing I would want is to go through the hassle of trading out for a Max Tow and then discovering it's inadequate.

For the record, there are folks with low-optioned F-150's that have similar payload and tow ratings to the Max Tow who are towing this trailer fine. And one guy towed his with a diesel GMC Canyon problem-free for a while. Also for the record, my wife and I both loathe full-size trucks and love the Gladiator; getting a full-size isn't an option at all.
Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Get a truck with a V8 if you want to tow travel trailers.

It's been stated many times here and in the internet in general, it's never a good idea of getting a trailer that is right at the extreme end of your vehicles tow rating. The JT is NOT a tow rig for things like travel trailers despite the stupid marketing of the Max tow package and it's dull braggarts.

It's not just the engine power, but also brakes, cooling and suspension, that make or break a towing success. In general the bigger the vehicle is towing the trailer the happier you will be. You will be way happier with a oversized rig towing a small trailer then a undersized rig trying to tow a maxed out trailer. You don't want the trailer driving the truck.

A coworker bought a TT to tow with their chevy colorado, RV guy said it would be fine, the TT is in the chevy's range (end of range)..... Long story short want to guess who just sold their colorado for a chevy silverado with a v8...............

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Get a truck with a V8 if you want to tow travel trailers.

It's been stated many times here and in the internet in general, it's never a good idea of getting a trailer that is right at the extreme end of your vehicles tow rating. The JT is NOT a tow rig for things like travel trailers despite the stupid marketing of the Max tow package and it's dull braggarts.

It's not just the engine power, but also brakes, cooling and suspension, that make or break a towing success. In general the bigger the vehicle is towing the trailer the happier you will be. You will be way happier with a oversized rig towing a small trailer then a undersized rig trying to tow a maxed out trailer. You don't want the trailer driving the truck.

A coworker bought a TT to tow with their chevy colorado, RV guy said it would be fine, the TT is in the chevy's range (end of range)..... Long story short want to guess who just sold their colorado for a chevy silverado with a v8...............
this is just bad info and advice.

the jt is absolutely a tow rig for travel trailers. As proven by the just crap tons of people who do exactly that. Does it leave something to be desired? Sure, but what doesn’t.

the bit about the too large trailer is accurate..but even that is anecdotal as there are plenty of people who over tow for their vehicle and are happy to do so. The TT you linked doesn’t fall into that category.

any way.

yes you can tow that. You will be fine. It is heavy, and I certainly wouldn’t go larger, but its fine. The tounge weight is a bit high..but again. Its up to your comfort and experience

make sure you have a properly installed weight distribution hitch. And id suggest the airlift 1000 bags just for the extra support and comfort while towing.

personally im very happy in the 4,000-5,000lbs total weight range.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this is just bad info and advice.

the jt is absolutely a tow rig for travel trailers. As proven by the just crap tons of people who do exactly that. Does it leave something to be desired? Sure, but what doesn’t.

any way.

yes you can tow that. You will be fine. It is heavy, and I certainly wouldn’t go larger, but its fine.

make sure you have a properly installed weight distribution hitch. And id suggest the airlift 1000 bags just for the extra support and comfort while towing.
Come out west and trying towing with a maxed out rig over our mountains..... Let me know when you warp a head from your first overheat, or when you need to get dragged out of a run away truck ramp or blown off the road from a 50 mph gust...... There is a reason why I see tons of zebra camo'd test trucks going up and down I-17 from flagstaff and Phx, and rt87 from PHX to Payson. I lived on the east coast and those hills/weather don't hold a candle to the stuff here.

Don't forget to add the weight of your trailer, all there crap you want to bring with you, your 60 gallons of water, plus the crap in your truck bed and the all the ppl in your cab. These things add up very quick and if you are pushing your max rating before adding these things, you will be overload in the blink of an eye.

The JT is a 4x4 with a truck bed, it's not a truck, I will stand by that marketing be damned.

Simple fact, go big on tow rig and have less worries, go small and count every bean, and struggle when push comes to shove.

OP
OP
ShrimpHappens

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
I lived on the east coast and those hills/weather don't hold a candle to the stuff here.

Don't forget to add the weight of your trailer, all there crap you want to bring with you, your 60 gallons of water, plus the crap in your truck bed and the all the ppl in your cab.
Ease up, man. While all very true and important, I addressed each of these in my post.

I'm not talking about loading up for a two-month multistate Rocky Mountain boondocking excursion. I'm talking about long weekends to RV parks and improved campgrounds in the vicinity of northwest Alabama.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Come out west and trying towing with a maxed out rig over our mountains..... Let me know when you warp a head from your first overheat, or when you need to get dragged out of a run away truck ramp or blown off the road from a 50 mph gust...... There is a reason why I see tons of zebra camo'd test trucks going up and down I-17 from flagstaff and Phx, and rt87 from PHX to Payson. I lived on the east coast and those hills/weather don't hold a candle to the stuff here.

Don't forget to add the weight of your trailer, all there crap you want to bring with you, your 60 gallons of water, plus the crap in your truck bed and the all the ppl in your cab. These things add up very quick and if you are pushing your max rating before adding these things, you will be overload in the blink of an eye.

The JT is a 4x4 with a truck bed, it's not a truck, I will stand by that marketing be damned.

Simple fact, go big on tow rig and have less worries, go small and count every bean, and struggle when push comes to shove.
Different parts of the country certainly have different results with all vehicles.

That being said. Its still a capable truck and the data backs that up more than observational information.

op.

i dont kno the topography of where you are or where you intend to camp. That should be a factor when deciding on your TT. if you’re pulling up steep grades a lot, then a lighter TT would certainly improve your experience.

Like rharr said remember the tongue weight takes away from your cardio carrying capacity, so keep that in mind.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
With creative loading in the trailer, you can lower the tongue weight on any trailer.

You need a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway feature. You probably want to go with the overload bags to help prevent sag in the rear.

The key thing is trying to keep the total weight down. It will take practice for all of this plus some money spent at a truck stop with scales.

Once you get it figured out, the rest will become easier.

Just remember to keep water storage tanks (both fresh and waste) empty when towing and most of your weight headaches are gone. Water is the biggest killer on weight at 8.4 pounds per gallon on clear and more with solid waste suspended.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Also, if you're buying this TT from an RV dealer, most of the bigger ones can give you a true tongue weight on site with a scale. They will also work with you as you move items around to gain the optimum tongue weight.
This can take a few hours to accomplish, so be good to them if they help you out.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I think it'll be fine if you maintain a reasonable speed and load it accordingly. If that's the trailer you want, do it.

The full size comparison is not exactly a good barometer. Full size trucks are, by definition, full size. They're wider, longer, heavier. That makes a big difference when towing.

There is a rule of thumb regarding wheelbase and length of trailer. Every 4" of wheelbase = 1' of trailer. That means the Gladiator - for this metric only - would be at its limit at 34' trailer. Your desired trailer is well under that.

But then you have to consider the flying brick aerodynamics of the Gladiator, the V6 powerplant, and weight of the truck.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe i am being a little extreme, but reading though all the gripes from all the folks on this forum about this and that, over heating this and that, wobbles this and that, ect, my opinion would be find something else, if the OP has already made his mind up that the JT is just fine for him, then why ask the question?

Just go look at the Shadow papa posts with his alum car trailer, or the post about the JTD that burned to the ground towing a TT.

To avoid the fiddly bits of making sure everything is in spec just get a bigger truck there is more head room for extras and safety margins, that's all I am trying to say.

I love my JTRD, but won't really want to tow anything bigger then a 6x12 box trailer. I don't notice my 5x9 open trailer loaded with a motorcycle and my bed full of camping gear. That's how I like to drive instead of worrying about can i do this or that or will something bad happen.

Maybe the 75 mph speed limits out here influence that perspective, the 55 mph out east you are pushing things less hard.

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
maybe i am being a little extreme, but reading though all the gripes from all the folks on this forum about this and that, over heating this and that, wobbles this and that, ect, my opinion would be find something else, if the OP has already made his mind up that the JT is just fine for him, then why ask the question?

Just go look at the Shadow papa posts with his alum car trailer, or the post about the JTD that burned to the ground towing a TT.

To avoid the fiddly bits of making sure everything is in spec just get a bigger truck there is more head room for extras and safety margins, that's all I am trying to say.

I love my JTRD, but won't really want to tow anything bigger then a 6x12 box trailer. I don't notice my 5x9 open trailer loaded with a motorcycle and my bed full of camping gear. That's how I like to drive instead of worrying about can i do this or that or will something bad happen.

Maybe the 75 mph speed limits out here influence that perspective, the 55 mph out east you are pushing things less hard.
1. The death wobbles are, from what I've read, are at extreme speeds and mostly in '20 JTs. Which you won't be doing with a trailer.

2. The overheating is diesels in significant situations- hot, steep grades, etc.

The JT capacities are not that different than the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon, and I hear virtually no issues towing with that platform. Tacomas have even less towing capacity, yet I routinely see them towing trailers.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
must be a regional thing, i hardly see those trucks towing anything around here other then landscape trailers in town. On the highways it's all full size stuff and travel trailers all day.

Buck1ze

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon and it is a fine vehicle, but a tow vehicle it is not. You can “get by” using a Gladiator to tow the occasional trailer. To think this truck is a capable tow vehicle is a fallacy.

I tow a Grand Design Imagine XLS17MKE. It does okay, but I would not be comfortable traveling any significant distances with it. That is why I have ordered a 2022 Ram 1500 and am anxiously awaiting the build to start!

Good luck.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
You mentioned a generator. A generator on the back will actually take off some tongue weight, but make sure to use care in mounting a 100 lb generator to the bumper. Bumper braces mounted to the frame would be mandatory. There are some excellent products out there for mounting a generator to the back of a TT.

Also a WDH will distribute some of that tongue weight to the front of your truck and to the trailer wheels. Other than that your weights should be okay.

I'm towing a 24' travel trailer that weighs about 5500 lbs fully loaded with a regular towing package. It tows just fine.

Just keep everything within all the weight limits for your truck as listed in your manual and you'll have a nice trip. That's true whether you have max tow or not.

Edit: Oh, I see that you actually said you won't be needing a generator. Nevermind on that point. I still stand by what I said, that if you go by your weight limits in the manual and don't cheat, then your truck will tow just fine.
Sponsored