Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
I have a 2020 Gladiator and as soon as Jeep announced the 2021 Selec-Trac I was bummed. By that point I had my Jeep supercharged and have since add many other modifications. I have investigated trading but I have found nothing that has made sense.

So I am deep into a transfer case swap. So far, I have acquired the transfer case, wiring harness, shifter, shifter trim, and front CV axle halves. I am awaiting the transfer case module for Selec-Trac.

Today, I installed the CV axle halves and I must say they are a huge improvement to prevent binding with the wheel turned. For a daily driver with occasional offroad use, the CV axles are a charm. I expect to swap the transfer case soon and will report back on the progress.

This retrofit is not for the faint-hearted (due to the price & time) but so far, I don't see any roadblocks. I'll keep this updated for those who are interested, there are many dead-end posts about this topic and I figured I will answer the question of feasibility once and for all.
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Are the output/input shafts the same lengths? I remember back in the day how some would have a short shaft and others longer. Required cracking the case and swapping them. .

Props for taking this on!!

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Very cool! Out of curiosity how much was the transfer case? I'm assuming you found a used one?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Did you go with OEM axles/CV joints, or aftermarket?

Sponsored

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
Are the output/input shafts the same lengths? I remember back in the day how some would have a short shaft and others longer. Required cracking the case and swapping them. .

Props for taking this on!!
I am nearly certain the I/O shafts are the same length. The T-case housings are nearly the same except for the Selec-Trac electric motor. I didn't do an in-depth comparison but now I will before starting the T-case swap.

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
Very cool! Out of curiosity how much was the transfer case? I'm assuming you found a used one?
Yes, I found a T-case with less than 1k miles. I considered putting the 4:1 case in but I don't rock climb so that was unnecessary. I found used units from about 900 to $1,500. Initially, I planned to purchase a new unit but just couldn't justify a $2,500 price without knowing the rest of the swap story. I am trending towards $2,500 all-in. Definitely better to buy it with the Selec-Trac :blush:

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
Did you go with OEM axles/CV joints, or aftermarket?
The driverside axle is OEM and the passenger is aftermarket, the OEM passenger axle is on backorder with no ETA. Interestingly, the OEM CV joint is designed to easily fit through the knuckle whereas the aftermarket does not without removing the boot clamp or removing the knuckle. The factory boot seemed to be of higher quality. Otherwise, they are very similar.

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
Pictures!!!
I always kick myself for not taking enough photos. I will take photos of the wiring harness comparison, T-case comparison, installation, etc. There really isn't much to see with the CV axles but I should have documented it. :headbang:
Sponsored