Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Hello Everyone,

I love the look of my cloth Rubicon front seats and their MOLLE webbing on their backside. Unfortunately they are causing me to have severe lower back pain and I am looking to swap them out for something more comfortable. With spending 2 hours communing each day it is just not practical for me to keep them based on looks alone. I have tried seat cushions and lower back support options from Amazon but unfortunately nothing is helping. At this point it is starting to sour my first Jeep experience which I know is ridiculous. I want to fall in love with this amazing machine all over again. :like:

My question for the community is how easy will it be for me to sell these 2 front seats, how much I should expect (ballpark) to get for them, and how easy is the actual swap process? There seems to be a few other seat options out there and I am hoping one is more comfortable/ergonomic. Would love to hear advise from others who have swapped out their seats. Also, if it makes a difference on your recommendations, I do not have the cold weather package (no seat warmers).

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Additionally...If anyone has recommendations for replacement seating options please share!

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
You'd prob be best to find a seat shape that works for you and have the Jeep seat re-fitted/foamed to that contour.
Don't forget there are airbags in the factory seats.

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
You'd prob be best to find a seat shape that works for you and have the Jeep seat re-fitted/foamed to that contour.
Don't forget there are airbags in the factory seats.
Didn't even know this was an option. I will need to look into this further to see if it would work for my need. Good to know about the airbags too. Thanks.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Hello Everyone,

I love the look of my cloth Rubicon front seats and their MOLLE webbing on their backside. Unfortunately they are causing me to have severe lower back pain and I am looking to swap them out for something more comfortable. With spending 2 hours communing each day it is just not practical for me to keep them based on looks alone. I have tried seat cushions and lower back support options from Amazon but unfortunately nothing is helping. At this point it is starting to sour my first Jeep experience which I know is ridiculous. I want to fall in love with this amazing machine all over again. :like:

My question for the community is how easy will it be for me to sell these 2 front seats, how much I should expect (ballpark) to get for them, and how easy is the actual swap process? There seems to be a few other seat options out there and I am hoping one is more comfortable/ergonomic. Would love to hear advise from others who have swapped out their seats. Also, if it makes a difference on your recommendations, I do not have the cold weather package (no seat warmers).

Thanks in advance.
Give a good automotive upholster a call. They can add different density foam, memory foam, lumbar, change contours, modify your Rubicon seats to help with comfort. You will have no problem selling your Rubicon seats quickly. Good luck.

Sponsored

pau32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've seen quite a few posts about people complaining about the comfort of the clothe rubicon seats

pakzak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
You can replace the seats with aftermarket ones, but it is going to take quite a bit of work on your end, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're going for a completely torn down off-road build.

Like stated above, the side impact airbag is located inside the shoulder of each seat. When you remove the seat, your going to lose that airbag, lose the weight sensor in the seat, and also lose the seat belt 'click in' sensor... and throw a bunch of error codes and light your dash up like a Christmas tree. The way we used to get around this on the JK's and older models was to pull out the wiring harness under the seat, and then just plug it back in (seat belt), or run a resister (airbag sensor) to 'fake' that it was still plugged in. With the JL's all these wires are bundled together, and actually molded into the foam of the seat. Which means your going to have to physically cut the wiring harness out of the seat to do some of these workarounds. A lot bigger pain in the butt than it was in the JK's.

OP
OP
Jeep4Life0112

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
I took mine to an auto upholstery shop and had the seat bottom contoured to be angled/lower in the back. Cost $100
This sounds like a solid first option for me. Did they just change the angle of the seat relative to it's back, or did they also add in extra cushioning to provide better back support and make the seat more comfortable for longer commutes?

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
You know, there have been a couple times I got out of my JLU and my lower back felt stiff. I wonder if it's the seats in general.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
This sounds like a solid first option for me. Did they just change the angle of the seat relative to it's back, or did they also add in extra cushioning to provide better back support and make the seat more comfortable for longer commutes?
Removed some padding and put in a different lower profile padding

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Yeah, I've got intermittent back issues and the Rubicon seats are not the most comfortable. What works for me however is angling the seatback and sliding the seat forward a bit. It helps quite a bit - at least for me...

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Most aftermarket seats are more offroad and or performance based you never see anything for comfort. The seats and the ride seems to be an issue to many which also leads to a vehicle with one of the shortage ownership statistics because of the lack of comfort. While i do not commute, the Wrangler would not be a commuter if I did for these same reasons alone.

If you can simulate a padding option externally you might consider buying seat covers (like the rough country covers $160) and then placing the padding between the cover and the seat.

The problems I see with the Wrangler seats is they are too vertical and the seat bottom itself is level or leaning forward a bit depending on the front end rake. For long travel I need my seat inclined a bit to the front and seat leaning back a little, unfortunately that is not an option since the seat bottom you cannot adjust the angle.

You may find that no padding will resolve your back issue, worth a try though.

jayd33

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Defender 110, 2022 392 ordered
Is there a difference in comfort between leather and cloth rubicon seats?

If so, does this translate to a difference in comfort between custom Katzkin cover installed on cloth vs leather?

Ricl72

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Saraha JLU
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance.
How much do you want for the seats????
Sponsored