First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I have always been a big time customizer of all my vehicles. People have come to expect me to take something and give it my own twist. This has made me really appreciate all kinds of builds...from budget backyard builds to even "Pimp your ride" builds. This is why the Gladiator really appealed to me. There is literally an endless amount of possibilities for what you can do to a Jeep and the Gladiator is taking it to the next level.

Although...I have noticed once thing more than anything in the Jeep community...why the hate for the "Mall Crawlers"? Not saying I plan on building one...but I have seen so many negative comments and I can never really pinpoint why. Maybe this has been discussed in the past, I just didn't happent to see anything when I searched for an answer.
Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
There's 2 types of Jeep owners.

1. The "do your thing" group that appreciates it all, even if it isn't their cup of tea.
2. The "you should be like all of us" group that hates anything they wouldn't build themselves. A lot of these guys are older.

But...most of us all agree that if you rice out a Jeep...we will all laugh. That doesn't necessarily include all mall crawlers either.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
There's 2 types of Jeep owners.

1. The "do your thing" group that appreciates it all, even if it isn't their cup of tea.
2. The "you should be like all of us" group that hates anything they wouldn't build themselves. A lot of these guys are YOUNGER.

But...most of us all agree that if you rice out a Jeep...we will all laugh. That doesn't necessarily include all mall crawlers either.
FIFY.
Those of us who might be older aren’t too concerned what other people think. ;-)... we’re ( I mean they’re) secure in who they are!

but I do agree with your last sentence!

Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Exactly, @smlobx hit it on the head - If you are comfortable in your own skin do what makes you happy, do you! I think people dish out hate on mall crawlers because they feel like it is a bit poser-ish and making all those mods and not using them for what they were designed to rubs a few ppl the wrong way. But, hey if that makes you happy why not? I will even take it a bit further about the costs too - people make a big deal about how much you spend to accomplish something and how it could be done cheaper - who cares if the person can afford it and it makes that person happy more power to them!

I just don't pay attention to what people say, I plan to mod my jeep like I want it to whether I would take it to MOAB or the mall :P

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I'm pretty sure of your meaning and don't think you're intending to be hateful but you may want to find a better way to say this.

That’s not hateful. If it resembles something from the first fast and furious, it’s rice

Choj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon
That’s not hateful. If it resembles something from the first fast and furious, it’s rice
That's not where that comes from... It's a racist term originally used to make fun of Asian people. It has since been used to describe how Asian people mod their vehicles. Most of my Hmong friends growing up would use the term, but that doesn't change the fact it is indeed racist.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
That's not where that comes from... It's a racist term originally used to make fun of Asian people. It has sense been used to describe how Asian people mod their vehicles. Most of my Hmong friends growing up would use the term, but that doesn't change the fact it is indeed racist.
Lol racist term. Now that you have explained it I have to laugh at someone taking offense to any little thing. To me using that term to associate Asians is as bad as using the term Mall Crawler to be associate wealthy individuals with no appreciation for the Jeep. In fact mall crawler would be more offensive as it conveys a demeaning attitude and consideration of the owner being a poser, whereas saying someone emulates a highly technical and detailed oriented group with respect to their vehicles’ performance is a compliment. But let’s not get too off topic.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Actually, the term “ricer” as it applies to modifying your vehicle was not racist at all. I suppose the term fart can is also racist. I roll my eyes at the need some have to make everything racist. That in its self is racist.

Anyway, vintage American muscle was all the rage when suddenly the younger crowd became priced out of that market and turned to the emerging Japanese performance market and started tricking out their imports. The term referred to the car, not the person. Lighten up, Francis. Oops, I hope that’s not racist.

Sponsored

nyyankees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2004 TJ 4.0
On my fifth Jeep and currently have an ‘04 TJ and a JT. To me the “Mall crawler” thing came about when the JKU (4 door wrangler) was introduced. Until that point the Wrangler community was made up of folks that really maximized the wrangler as a 4WD vehicle for off-roading, the beach, outdoor stuff. It was a smaller, tight community that opened up when the 4 door hit the market and when that happened there were many more wrangler owners all of a sudden who used their JKUs for normal family vehicles. And their JKUs were viewed as “mall crawlers” or “grocery getters”. Personally I could care less what anybody does with their own rigs. I’m just happy to see Jeeps on the road and I like them all!

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
very well said, and accurate I think

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
Most not all Trail type guys/gals will bust your chops for bolting on all the nifty DO-Dads you can to look pretty in the mall parking lot. IC tire shine, waxing, chrome this and chrome that & not a speck of mud in your spring mounts. However "we" are the first ones out on a trail with out tools/ spare parts/ ect ect to lean a hand when your broke. (Pavement princess, "the mall crawler") is a term we use mainly as a insult to the people who go out to Quadra track, or 4wheel parts and bolt on every DO-Dad knowen to man just so it looks great out on pavement but wouldn't dare get on a dirt road let alone think about going out through the brush. the ones I find the most amusing are the rigs with 6-8 inchs of lift on street tires. and a snorkel.. Like there going on a outback safari.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I wouldn't use the word "ricer" or "rice mobile", but you decide for yourself if you think it is racist - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_burner

I def think it is offensive because you are marginalizing a community by limiting their definition by one food group, or one business venture they engage in or general stupid stereotypes as opposed to respecting the individual. I am big on individualism. But, I am not the race police, def not on an internet forum LOL, so if you feel like using it go for it. It is only a reflection of you because as time progresses, society evolves, language evolves as well and what is accepted and what is offensive changes over time.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
That's not where that comes from... It's a racist term originally used to make fun of Asian people. It has since been used to describe how Asian people mod their vehicles. Most of my Hmong friends growing up would use the term, but that doesn't change the fact it is indeed racist.

Not my understanding at all. That term was coined to describe the style of car that appeared in the early 90s. Hondas especially, slammed with an obnoxious fart can exhaust. Making fun of that car has absolutely nothing to do with the drivers. If someone is criticizing ford trucks etc? are they being racist or xenophobic against Americans?
Sponsored