First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Got a service DEF system see dealer warning light today. Service engine light is on solid now. (Its not the "fill tank" message)

Have almost exactly 3500 miles on it, just filled the DEF tank for the first time about 3 days ago. Put the more expensive 20 bucks/2.5 gallons def in it.

Called dealer and he asked if I only drove it short distances? On average, I dont, only time it really sits and runs is when I remote start it to warm up.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
Def has a date on the box or container. Might be old def. I typically try and get def from the pump and normally don't fill up so I don't risk it going bad.

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
if it is just check engine light, just drive it.. I have a MN sprinter and see this issue on the forum.. If it is not giving you a start count down, your good.. should reset in 30-50 miles from what Ive seen..

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
if it is just check engine light, just drive it.. I have a MN sprinter and see this issue on the forum.. If it is not giving you a start count down, your good.. should reset in 30-50 miles from what Ive seen..
It appears you are right. My warning/check engine light went out yesterday. Haven't decided if I'm still gona take it into dealer for the wed. Appointment or not.

NvrWntr

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator
Occupation
Railroad
I’ve got 3300 on mine and been in the shop twice now within 500mi for the same “Service Def, See Dealer” message and constant CEL. I also got the no restart message both times but the second time it came up it picked up where it left off on countdown miles from the first time. Initial diagnosis was pertaining to a Service bulletin which also disabled the Def heater throwing a second code. So far I’m told, service bulletin on it pertains to air in the def system, but the def was also frozen the first time. Local dealer is telling me they are waiting for engineer input before replacing parts under warranty as they haven’t yet been able to pinpoint the issue. I’ve got faith in my dealer to get it figured out otherwise it’ll be a long MN winter for myself.

Sponsored

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
I’ve got 3300 on mine and been in the shop twice now within 500mi for the same “Service Def, See Dealer” message and constant CEL. I also got the no restart message both times but the second time it came up it picked up where it left off on countdown miles from the first time. Initial diagnosis was pertaining to a Service bulletin which also disabled the Def heater throwing a second code. So far I’m told, service bulletin on it pertains to air in the def system, but the def was also frozen the first time. Local dealer is telling me they are waiting for engineer input before replacing parts under warranty as they haven’t yet been able to pinpoint the issue. I’ve got faith in my dealer to get it figured out otherwise it’ll be a long MN winter for myself.
Frozen DEF......are you kidding me! Why the hell would they use something that freezes and not put a mandatory heater/warmer on the system? What temp does it freeze at? Is there anything that can be added to keep it from freezing?

NvrWntr

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator
Occupation
Railroad
Def is designed to freeze and there is either a sump heater in the tank and in some def applications, Heated lines which I’m not sure the gladiator eco has. I’m not 100% sure but it freezes around 20degrees F, I believe.

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Def is designed to freeze and there is either a sump heater in the tank and in some def applications, Heated lines which I’m not sure the gladiator eco has. I’m not 100% sure but it freezes around 20degrees F, I believe.
I didnt know any of that. One more reason to do a full tune and delete all that emissions crapp sooner than later!

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Update.....I talked to dealer and they didn't want me to bring it in. Said without the light on they wouldn't be able do anything........guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope it doesn't happen again or if it does, that the light stays on till I can get it to the dealer.

NvrWntr

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator
Occupation
Railroad
Most recent update I’ve received so far is that they’re going to put a def pump in it for starters and are working with the engineers to identify any other areas of potential failure. They still don’t know the root cause of it being the heater or the pump causing the initial symptoms and the other code to kick. I’m almost wondering if the heater was failing and the pump was trying to draw def, which is where the air was entering the system. I’m also being told that since it’s new to the platform that they are also waiting on engineers to reply via messenger system with more of the schematics and diagrams on how it’s all plumbed together.

Sponsored

NvrWntr

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator
Occupation
Railroad
After further research DEF freezes at 12 degrees F.

NvrWntr

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator
Occupation
Railroad
So I’ve got my Rig back from the dealer. They replaced the DEF pump in it and cleared the codes. So far, so good after a hundred miles or so. Temps remain in the upper teens overnight here in MN and we haven’t seen too many temps dip below the freezing point of DEF, so now that I think about it more, my initial thought process of a faulty heater are now skewed. I’m still skeptical of it all, as I’m new to the Eco vs my old 5L Cummins in my previous Titan XD as I never had DEF issues in that and I’ve adapted my driving habits and care/sensitivity to owning a new Tier 4 final engine/system to the Eco. Fingers crossed we don’t repeat another 500mi interval with the same symptoms. I’ll then become more aggressive with warranty and take it as far as buy back/lemon law situation if we can’t come to a conclusion/solution to the issues I’ve experienced so far with it.

hazzardsky

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon, 17 JK Recon
I'm having the same warning message currently. Seems to only happen in 4-low. First time taking it offroad on a super casual trail and the message popped up within 100 yrds. turned right back around and parked it. The code came right back after trying to clear it in the parking lot. After driving the 70 miles home I was able to clear it and all was fine.

I assumed low def was causing the issue, so added 2.5 gal since dealer didnt fill at delivery.

Took it off road again this weekend. About an hour in on easy-moderate trails, came right back. Took back to parking lot, parked and rode shotgun for the rest of the day.

This time i'm getting the engine shutdown notification, and absolutely terrible fuel economy. I've only got 50 miles left until engine will not restart, and dealer is 30 miles away. Earliest they can get me in is wednesday, so i'm stuck borrowing the wifes vehicle.

Really sucks on a vehicle with under 2k miles on it. I absolutely love the diesel, but if it cant go offroad then I made a serious mistake.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I'm having the same warning message currently. Seems to only happen in 4-low. First time taking it offroad on a super casual trail and the message popped up within 100 yrds. turned right back around and parked it. The code came right back after trying to clear it in the parking lot. After driving the 70 miles home I was able to clear it and all was fine.

I assumed low def was causing the issue, so added 2.5 gal since dealer didnt fill at delivery.

Took it off road again this weekend. About an hour in on easy-moderate trails, came right back. Took back to parking lot, parked and rode shotgun for the rest of the day.

This time i'm getting the engine shutdown notification, and absolutely terrible fuel economy. I've only got 50 miles left until engine will not restart, and dealer is 30 miles away. Earliest they can get me in is wednesday, so i'm stuck borrowing the wifes vehicle.

Really sucks on a vehicle with under 2k miles on it. I absolutely love the diesel, but if it cant go offroad then I made a serious mistake.

Did you do the regular and check to ensure all the fuses are locked in? I've also read a few people having defective transfer cases.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
It sounds like you have something actually malfunctioning, the def heater, pump, injector, not just a fluke thing like mine was??? Let us know what the dealer comes up with.
Sponsored