Sponsored

Service Electronic Throttle

zamboniman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Well she made it to 4400 miles and 2 months of ownership before trouble. Pulling off the highway threw a "Service Electronic Throttle" warning, check engine light, and lost power.

Pulled off. Shut down and restart. Throttle warning gone, and appears to operate normally power restored, but CEL remains.

Dealer was able to get us in on short notice and has code P00AF (turbo related?). They reflashed the PCM per a TSB (18-030-21, can someone look that up?) and sent me on my way. Of course the CEL trips again a mile down the road. Rescheduled appointment later this week when next loaner is available.

Hopefully this is straightforward and doesn't turn into a saga. I have trips planned in the near future. Disappointed that a loaner is a days out. So much for the jeep wave. At least she made it in under own power and didn't leave us stranded.
Sponsored

Last edited:

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Any chance your xm radio quit working the same time??

I had the same cel come on under similar circumstances. I happened to be on vacation and was still more than 200 miles from my destination at 9 o'clock at night. Took off after restarting and didn't get very far down the road before my whole dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Couldn't maintain 50 mph and pulled off.

I parked it and tried to slow down and asses what was happening. Other than the multitude of dash lights I noticed my xm radio wasnt working. Upon reviewing the events I recalled the xm radio not working/playing when the cel/message came on the first time. Anyway, I turned the radio completely off/powered down,
topped off with fuel, shut it down for about 20 minutes. Restarted and other than the cel being on, I had no more warning lights or messages. Drove the remaining 200 miles without any problems (it actually was running better) One day later after about 5 shut down/restarts, cel turned off and I've not had a problem since. I have not attempted to use the xm radio since either. More than 2000 miles later, all is well.

Planning to have dealer scan at next service stop but as unrelated/obscure as it sounds I'm largely convinced it was a glitch/malfunction somehow caused by the xm radio. It sounds crazy, but that's literally the only thing I did.

Last edited:
OP
OP

zamboniman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Any chance your xm radio quit working the same time??

I had the same cel come on under similar circumstances. I happened to be on vacation and was still more than 200 miles from my destination at 9 o'clock at night. Took off after restarting and didn't get very far down the road before my whole dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Couldn't maintain 50 mph and pulled off.

I parked it and tried to slow down and asses what was happening. Other than the multitude of dash lights I noticed my xm radio wasnt working. Upon reviewing the events I recalled the xm radio not working/playing when the cel/message came on the first time. Anyway, I turned the radio completely off/powered down,
topped off with fuel, shut it down for about 20 minutes. Restarted and other than the cel being on, I had no more warning lights or messages. Drove the remaining 200 miles without any problems (it actually was running better) One day later after about 5 shut down/restarts, cel turned off and I've not had a problem since. I have not attempted to use the xm radio since either. More than 2000 miles later, all is well.

Planning to have dealer scan at next service stop but as unrelated/obscure as it sounds I'm largely convinced it was a glitch/malfunction somehow caused by the xm radio. It sounds crazy, but that's literally the only thing I did.
I don't think they were related on mine. I can't confirm though. I do know that it popped the engine light about a mile down the road after dealer cleard it. So whatever is wrong is still there and at this point repeatable.

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Anxious to hear what the resolution is on yours. Keep us posted

OP
OP

zamboniman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Update. Back to dealer this morning for the appointment to drop it off and pick up the promised loaner.

1. No loaner was available "yet". So off to the waiting room.

2. Hour later assessment is new different trouble code Nox sensor stuck low. Ordered a new one but part is on backorder with no ETA. Cleared the engine light and sent me on my way. Good news is the light didn't return on the 30 minute trip home.

Is it really bad or the typical something else that triggered it? Glitch or something settling after the reflash from visit 1? Love me some nanny diesel emissions.

We'll see how it goes.

2 visits, about an hour each... Haven't been stranded, just inconvenience and vehicle trust anxiety so far. Loaners are unicorns. Wish dealer was closer.

Sponsored

93vtech

First Name
art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator diesel
Occupation
Neuro
Same problem. gladiator staid in the shop for 2.5 weeks. They called and told me it was temporarily fixed/and to drop off loaner;and come back when parts arrive ....pffft! My time is very valuable to me; ( 100an hr) that i miss out on sitting at the dealer. I talked to management and was able to keep the loaner longer. I'm new to jeep/i just hope its not a recurring thing. Acura TL and NSX never gave me problems/ hell i went 3 yrs without changing oil on TL.

OP
OP

zamboniman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
For what it's worth almost a week later light hasn't returned.. and the dealer also hasn't called with the backordered Nox sensor either. For the time being situation normal. Can it be trusted? I've probably added 100 miles or so but only around town. They claim the flash addressed the electronic throttle issue and the case is closed. Being on the highway in the middle of nowhere and going into limp mode isn't my idea of fun.

Would be interesting to have a copy of the TSB for the reflash. 18-030-21

OLAF 4X4

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Party Chief
For what it's worth almost a week later light hasn't returned.. and the dealer also hasn't called with the backordered Nox sensor either. For the time being situation normal. Can it be trusted? I've probably added 100 miles or so but only around town. They claim the flash addressed the electronic throttle issue and the case is closed. Being on the highway in the middle of nowhere and going into limp mode isn't my idea of fun.

Would be interesting to have a copy of the TSB for the reflash. 18-030-21
Any updates? My 2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel just did this to me yesterday. Dropped it off at the shop this morning. I never lost power just lights came up on the dash.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same issue that started in 2021 at 7000 miles every time I tow a trailer. Everything is fine and then I got the lightening bolt, few other CEL lights, and I only had about 1/2 throttle it felt like.... I took it to the dealer and they said there is a TSB recall for the P00AF issue. I was happy to hear it is a known issue. It sounds like it is just a software update.... Honestly I look forward to being able to tow a trailer and get a real temperature derate. Mine would also "pop" at 240 ish oil temp while everyone else could get to 268. I will update everyone on my dealer results.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same issue that started in 2021 at 7000 miles every time I tow a trailer. Everything is fine and then I got the lightening bolt, few other CEL lights, and I only had about 1/2 throttle it felt like.... I took it to the dealer and they said there is a TSB recall for the P00AF issue. I was happy to hear it is a known issue. It sounds like it is just a software update.... Honestly I look forward to being able to tow a trailer and get a real temperature derate. Mine would also "pop" at 240 ish oil temp while everyone else could get to 268. I will update everyone on my dealer results.
Dealer only did a powertrain software update per the TSB and they are sending me out to test it. If that does not fix it they will have to change some hardware.

Sponsored

wveddy

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
I have the same thing going on. Truck has done fine normal driving, hook up my boat and in less than 70miles the dash lights up with Red lighting bolt saying ignition failure. Then the CEL comes on and stays. The turbo error and dash error codes are what showed up- Dealer was like "never heard of that" just cleared them and said nothing was wrong. See if it happens again next time a pull the boat.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same thing going on. Truck has done fine normal driving, hook up my boat and in less than 70miles the dash lights up with Red lighting bolt saying ignition failure. Then the CEL comes on and stays. The turbo error and dash error codes are what showed up- Dealer was like "never heard of that" just cleared them and said nothing was wrong. See if it happens again next time a pull the boat.
Sounds like your dealer sucks. Keep taking it back after each CEL....MY 1st time they forced regen sent me on my way. 2nd they changed some other software update. 3rd they had an actual TSB and changed software again. If it still happens they claim it will be physical parts to change.

JaredFletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Diesel
Occupation
Self Employed
Any updates? Same thing happened to me today. Never had any issues with cruising or off roading. I hook up a trailer with 2 jet skis, and right around 50-70 miles, all the lights came on. Shut the truck down and restarted it. Just the CEL was on. I said eff it, I'm still going on my trip. Drove about 300 miles with the CEL on. Launched the skis, unhooked the trailer and 2 engine starts later, CEL is gone. Curious if plugging a trailer in is the issue. In days I'll head back with the trailer unplugged to see what happens.

wveddy

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
I towed my boat out to the coast and back without issue. i kept it at 65 or below and monitored the temps like a crazy man. Nothing went wrong. oil hit 256 i think at the highest. outside temps were 80 going up to mod 90s. I was 400lbs lighter in payload. payload is a joke. 985lbs on mine. boat tongue weight like 500lbs. so you really cant have gear and 4 people in the truck towing.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
My "Service elctronic throttle control" CEL continues. Most recently happened while towing at 70 degree outside temp and oil temp was below 240. The dealer says I am working it too hard and If I push FCA on it they will likely void my remaining warranty. I am considering selling at this point.
Sponsored