Sponsored

Shifting from 1st to 2nd very early/quickly

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
For context, I'm in a bit of a unique situation - I just had a shop replace the 3.6L with a brand new 3.6L long block (blew the engine). Transmission was fine/reused. PCM is the original/stock one, not flashed/unlocked.

Engine seems to be running fine, no CEL/codes (except a P1400 which I think is related to swapping the PCM previously, I'm hoping it eventually stops appearing). It's possible that this is a psychological issue, and I'm just going super easy on the pedal, but during slow/rolling acceleration from a stop (especially when I'm behind other cars) it shifts from 1st to 2nd within a second - like only a few hundred RPM past idle. It's usually pretty smooth/barely noticeable and I only realized because there's barely any torque to work with. With slightly more pedal, sometimes I can feel the shift. So far, I've only given it moderate pedal (~50%?) once or twice and it did seem to hold 1st a bit longer like normal, but that's only possible if there is no traffic in front of me.

The shop mentioned they did trigger a transmission re-learn, and I'm wondering if that's what's going on. Curious if this rings any bells to anyone and/or if there is anything worth trying (a new re-learn) and/or if I should be concerned.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Also, twice now it has felt like it wants to stall in reverse when I try to back into my driveway - right at the curb/going slightly uphill. It seems like the resistance is too much to overcome. I give it gas and it seemed like the RPMs actually dipped. Putting into neutral and trying again seems to fix it...backs up without even giving gas.

OP
OP

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Update: I learned/confirmed from Davey that flashing the TCM writes to a separate physical unit. I had thought that the PCM contains both the ECM and TCM - mostly because only the PCM got unlocked/swapped, so I was surprised to learn you can flash the stock TCM.

Reflashing TCM to my original stock file (that I luckily still had) did the trick.