First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2020 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I ordered Rock Hard sliders November 23 from my local dealer and they called today and said RockHard wants to add $300 to ship them.
Retail is $900 so that ups my cost 33% to $1,200 WOW I no longer think that I need them at that price!

Check shipping cost before purchasing!!!!

Anybody else run into this?
Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I'm getting the same thing on their website if you order direct... bummer

Still seems very excessive. They insist on shipping them on a pallet, that's why it's so much

<deleted screenshot, did not show drop down menu>

My screenshot didn't work so here's what I found
$300 delivered to FedEx facility
$300 delivered to business with lift
$464 delivered to residential address

jeep1

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2024 JLURX
They are big and heavy .... The JL ones came in two massive heavy boxes but they still came by UPS.

On the Rock Hard site, the JT ones list "NOTE: Truck Freight Shipping Required" which puts you into an entirely different shipping cost.

Even @Northridge4x4 (who is really good with shipping) shows an extra $150 on the JT sliders over the JLs.

Bummer for sure but they are massive pieces of steel.

RobbertCole

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 Mustang GT
OEM rock rails are some of the best sliders available for the JT.

$100 or less on market place. Aftermarket isnt always the answer, hell most of the ones i see are worse quality than OEM

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
OEM rock rails are some of the best sliders available for the JT.

$100 or less on market place. Aftermarket isnt always the answer, hell most of the ones i see are worse quality than OEM
Meh, they're pinch seem mounted and they dont stick out very far, any off camber action while needing a slider and you'll eat the body. The rockhard are in a whole different league of protection and also act as a step.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Holiday rates!

I tried to ship 4 rubi springs and shocks to another member 2 years ago during the holidays and UPS and USPS wanted something like $150? One of my tool dealers let me ship them on his account and it was over $100 cheaper?

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
I ordered Rock Hard sliders November 23 from my local dealer and they called today and said RockHard wants to add $300 to ship them.
Retail is $900 so that ups my cost 33% to $1,200 WOW I no longer think that I need them at that price!

Check shipping cost before purchasing!!!!

Anybody else run into this?
Have you priced what a local fabricator can do to augment factory skids?

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
Having worked directly with carriers and customers for quite a few years on the FTL/LTL/Intermodal side of shipping, I know their costs for shipping could vary from $50 to $700, depending on their carrier selection and relationships. Residential requires more as the drivers hate driving down small streets. The size of the item, not the weight, is actually the issue. It's cheaper to ship 100 lbs of Iron Bars than 100 lbs of Ping Pong balls due to the space requirement for the ping pong balls.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
That does seem steep. Last time I ordered a stack of 37s on a pallet it was something like $125 for residential lift gate service. I'm just outside of a large metro though, that probably helps a lot.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cooper_D

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Have you priced what a local fabricator can do to augment factory skids?
No I didn't think about doing that, it is a great idea though.

Part of my problem with contacting a local fabricator is I no longer know anyone in the business, the friends that I used to call are either no longer in the business or dead (part of the problem when you get old is people you once trusted pass away...at least I'm still amongst the living which is a good thing for me ha ha.)

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
They very likely exceed what UPS likes to do. I don't remember the exact dimensions, but it was 89" long and/or over 150 pounds may be the threshold.
Its over 150lbs

OP
OP

Cooper_D

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It may have something to do with Holiday rates I guess, but I can't help think that they worked out a deal with shippers where kickbacks are a way to increase their bottom line and blame it all on the trucking Industry (& fuel prices, govt intervention.....or any other reason you can think of)

After all is said and done the actual cost is not $899.95, as advertised, it is $1,199.95.

My dealer did offer to absorb some of the shipping cost, since they did not know about it ahead of time, but it puts him into the position of having to work a lot harder to sell Rock Hards products.

If all things were equal Rock Hard is a superior product to some of the other brands, but the true cost is one third more which will price them out of the ballgame for many.

Thanks everybody for the feedback!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Having worked directly with carriers and customers for quite a few years on the FTL/LTL/Intermodal side of shipping, I know their costs for shipping could vary from $50 to $700, depending on their carrier selection and relationships. Residential requires more as the drivers hate driving down small streets. The size of the item, not the weight, is actually the issue. It's cheaper to ship 100 lbs of Iron Bars than 100 lbs of Ping Pong balls due to the space requirement for the ping pong balls.
I can't get my plating chemical shipped to my address. Two things - it has to come freight and the big trucks aren't allowed here, and, they don't deliver residential.
Try paying $130 for a 5 gallon bucket.

My wife ordered some more cotton batting - the lady told her no more free shipping, it's now $46/roll. So we drove down to Overland Park to pick it all up. 7 rolls would have been over $300.
I can drive there and back for less than half that, even less if I only figured gas.

I've had fenders, bumpers and other stuff shipped for years for my restorations - I guess I'm used to $100+ shipping costs for parts.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I should add - shipping is also a "supply and demand" thing. High demand this time of year, still a shortage of shippers/drivers.
Sponsored