Shocks 2 brands which one

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
If you where to be buying new shocks which would you go for Bilstein 8100 smooth bodies or Falcon 3.3's.

My issue with the Bilstein's is the condition of the body in a short time for that price of a shock. I have heard both good and bad about the Falcons. Some say they are to stiff and others swear by them.

Daily driver, weekend warrior use, Thoughts?
Sponsored

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
If you where to be buying new shocks which would you go for Bilstein 8100 smooth bodies or Falcon 3.3's.

My issue with the Bilstein's is the condition of the body in a short time for that price of a shock. I have heard both good and bad about the Falcons. Some say they are to stiff and others swear by them.

Bilstein. Only cus I've seen em go 80k on heavy ass Yotas no rebuild getting raw dogged. And they somehow hold up.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
What is the intended use? Do you run off road at speed? If you don't reservoir shocks are a waste of money in my opinion. I have no experience with the teraflex shocks, but at that price I'd spend a little more and get fox 2.5 elites personally as they ride amazingly well on and off road. Bilstein digressive valving is great for handling but is definitely stiff on and off road. Not sure how the teraflex stocks are valved, but with as many complaints as I've read about them being stiff I'd be hesitant to drop that coin.

Neushane

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S, 2018 Audi A6
Occupation
US Navy Retired
I just installed Eibachs and love them. Even my installer said he was getting a set for his Gladiator

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
They're both digressive valves so they will ride similar to each other.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Should have said weekend warrior is a week in Ouray, Silverton area and a week in Moab doing 6,7 and 8 rated trails. No desert bombing.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
Should have said weekend warrior is a week in Ouray, Silverton area and a week in Moab doing 6,7 and 8 rated trails. No desert bombing.
At that use I'd say fox 2.0s will be more than enough. Cheap by comparison. Ride great. Plenty of travel. All for under $800 they are hard to beat.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
At that use I'd say fox 2.0s will be more than enough. Cheap by comparison. Ride great. Plenty of travel. All for under $800 they are hard to beat.
Also agree, not to mention the progressive valved shocks will probably be much more comfortable in that use case than the digressive valves shocks.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Neither. As you said, the bilsteins have a two for corrosion. The falcons can only be rebuilt by falcon. As far as what to choose, that depends on what your goals are, how big your lift is or isn’t, if you want to change it a lot, how you drive on and off road, and how often you want to need rebuilds.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a budget?

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had Fox 2.0’s for 2 years. I wheeled it very hard, but mostly it’s my daily. They failed miserably, but handled fine in the road for the most part. They could not handle washboard to save their lives though. I don’t think they were up to the task with a 6k lifted jeep.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed Eibachs and love them. Even my installer said he was getting a set for his Gladiator
Too harsh for my liking. Feel every pavement imperfection, better watch the pot holes more than ever with 'em. I'm thinking of leaving them on this truck if it ever gets traded. Wouldn't buy again.
They really ruined the nice comfortable in-town ride of my Overland. Nice on the highway and at speed, horrible on city streets.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Neither. As you said, the bilsteins have a two for corrosion. The falcons can only be rebuilt by falcon. As far as what to choose, that depends on what your goals are, how big your lift is or isn’t, if you want to change it a lot, how you drive on and off road, and how often you want to need rebuilds.
I want it all lol!
Low maintenance, good ride on the street and controlled offroad. Budget of around the $2k.

I have, 3" lift 38" Patagonia M/T's currently running RK RRD 2.25 shocks, which you have to check Nitrogen every 6 months and add when not if, needed. Not bad on the street but in the rocks of Moab you just bounce and jerk on everything, going slow.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Not true about rebuilding the Falcons.....I can get seal kits, oil and shims in stock, and can perform the service. Just don't expect much if any support from them on custom valving.

That said, Falcons are near the bottom of my list....Probably right above the "white rockets" (Rancho, Superlift, Reflex, etc)

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Not true about rebuilding the Falcons.....I can get seal kits, oil and shims in stock, and can perform the service. Just don't expect much if any support from them on custom valving.

That said, Falcons are near the bottom of my list....Probably right above the "white rockets" (Rancho, Superlift, Reflex, etc)
Yeah I see a lot of negatives from searches on the Falcons.
Sponsored